X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fins too small or board too big?

I have a Sweet Potato 5'8" board is super cool and size feels perfect (I'm 6'3" 183lbs) just when I do long backside turns with speed the board seems to spin out. I don't fall but the board kind of slips away under my feet eventually grips again. I have the standard Stretch fins, would it help to change to Controller fins? Or is the board just too big?

Big board, small fins. I'd try the Simon Anderson quads if you want it to hold through longer turns. I found on mine with stretch fins or k2.1 quads it was easy to go into a backside carve and release into a reverse. Fun but annoying if you're not trying to do that!

Comment

yeah large simons... the controllers i find to be slidey...

Comment

Mr Tfx in the front stretch in the back. I run this on my baked and it's a good all round setup. If I want a looser feel I stick in a set of M3 in the rear.

Comment

jcmorin definitely the fin size. I had the same happen to me on a head high wave. I was running EA front with QD400 rears. It slid out on the bottom turn...took me over the falls twice haha! Anyways, just make sure to have a Large front, you can keep the stretch rear in.

ALOHA!!

Comment

jcmorin, don't eliminate the Controllers as a possibility yet. I tried lots of fin set-ups and spent lots of money to end up liking the Controllers best of all on my SP. Fast, carvy, and plenty loose. I like the Elevons on my BP but Controllers on my SP.

Comment

Hey jcmorin. I don't know if you've ridden other boards or if the SP is your first one, but I have found that I almost change my style of surfing with that board. Because it is so wide, you can't surf it like you would a thruster where you can drive powerfully through a turn. The skatey nature of the board is meant to stay relatively flat on the wave with longer, more drawn out turns. As soon as you start digging rail on the SP you have to be careful so as not to bog. When I surf the SP, I look to do more casual face carves, then look down the line for a little punt section. Ideally, you want to be light on your feet with this board and be weary that you don't have a center fin as a pivot point when you do turns.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Tried some FCS Mayhem Quads on it, it hold through the turns better but lost the cool skaty feel of the board, so went back to the Stretch, it's quite amazing what difference the fin makes on a board...

Comment

Working...
                X