Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet vs Baked

Hey guys
    i'm looking at adding one of the Potato models to my quiver for those small crappy days. The kind of days when you usually don't go out.
    My current boards are a 5'10 Bourez @ 25.8litres, and a 5'8 Chubby Chedda @ 26.8 litres. My stats are 5'11 and 67kg without a suit, 28 years old. I'm probably Inter/Advanced on a good day.
    I'm tossing up between a 5'0 Sweet @ 28.9litres, or 5'1 Baked @ 29.3litres?

P.S I'm looking at swapping my Chedda for a 5'8 Unibrow @ 27.5litres for a touch more volume.
    Last edited by Stoop-a-loop; 09-24-2013, 04:57 AM.

5'1" baked

Comment

Thanks for the reply Iggy!
      Due to being quite tall I would have thought baked due to the extra length, as well as everyone saying its a better board. I have heard that you should try to keep about 3 litres max between a Spud and a High Performance Short Board. My 5'10 Bourez already has plenty of volume for me at 25.8 litres.
      I'm a little hesitant on going 3.5 litres more than the Bourez and my boards being to different in volume?
      Any thoughts?

Comment

My boards are in the 27-28l range. My Baked is 32.4l It doesn't feel too thick or anything but they are really wide boards.
        I reckon the Baked excels if you're surfing a slower, pockety wave and the Sweet Potato excels in a more down the line wave. The wider nose and tail or the Sweet Potato keep the rail line more parallel and it's more drivey. The tail is thicker too giving it a little more get up and go.
        The Baked doesn't have the same projection off the bottom for me. It does however have a much more refined tail and thinner rails. It feels much more controlled going straight up off the bottom and holds through carves much easier. You can definitely push it harder than you can the Sweet.
        Both are really fun boards, but it depends what you're looking to get from it.
        I don't think the 5'1 Baked would be a bad fit but you could def go smaller. I know I could surf the 5'1 @ 165lbs/77kg.

Comment

Thanks Phill!
          If I decided to go with the sweet it wouldn't be to short?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that's an issue. I'm just over 6'0" and haven't wanted to go shorter for that reason. If your stance is narrow it could be fine.

• aurfalien
            aurfalien commented
            Editing a comment
            I've had both and sold the SP, lovin my BP. Yea, Phil has great advice here, I'd seriously consider what he's sayin. His posts are pretty right on.

I'm trying so pick up a fun board that i can use on small 2-4ft mushy east coast waves instead of lugging my 8'6 coco mat (69L). I'm 5'11 170 lbs/ 78kgs. Been surfing for 14years and I'm pretty good but not amazing and my fitness is also pretty good but not amazing. I tend to grab my 6'3 7S superfish (36L) when it's over 4ft over my other boards (6'0 Chemistry Gleason Pro 26.5L and 6'2 CI K-small 30L) since the waves here is usually on the weak side and the extra volume really helps getting in early. But my superfish doesn't seem to be enough board when it's 2-3ft. So my question is, should I go for a 5'6 Sweet (38.6) or 5'7 baked (39.9)? Also which board does better in choppy conditions since this is what I usually surf in? All comments are much appreciated.

Comment

careful about over voluming these boards. They are wide and get in easy due to the shape as much as the volume and distribution. I am 5-11 180 lbs 43 years old and easily catch anything worth riding on a 5-5 baked. I had a 5-6 sweet and found it corky, great board on down the line point break but kinda too floaty when trying to deal with sections and bumpy waves. The baked seems to cut through the chop a bit better. End of the day you will catch more waves on a sweet but have more fun on a baked.

Comment

I know I'm a bit late here but thought I'd mention it anyway. I picked up a 6-0 SP for choppy 1-3 and have not been disappointed (6'4 215-220lbs). I was out yesterday in 2-4 clean waves and had an absolute blast. There were 2 other guys out on FW spuds and we were hogging all the waves. If you are looking for a true groveler the SP is a great choice, if you're thinking the 5'7 baked you should look at the 5'8 SP. Although given your size I'd say don't go bigger than the 5'6 SP. I took out the 5'10 and the 6'0 and settled on the 6-0 because I wanted it to be a true groveler and I have a wide stance and a more power surf approach (I'm a big guy). Have you tried the volume calculator on FW website? That should help you decide. I plugged in your stats and got a 28L (inter/adv) high end for weak waves which puts you on a 5'0, (33L for intermediate) which is a 5'2. I suggest you Demo the 5'2 sweet and a 5'1 baked and let the boards tell you which to buy. You can't go wrong with either, I am having a ridiculously good time on my SP.

Comment

Im 6'6 210lbs surfing mostly small waves. I would say I'm a beginner/intermediate surfer, been surfing mostly SUP in waves, 9'4 longboards the last two years. I long time since I took my 7,4 (around 47-50l) minimal for a ride and now I'm thinking of a smaller board. So the question is Sweet potato 6' or a baked 6'1? Any pros and cons?
                Surfing Swedish cold water :)

Comment

Both boards will be a blast. Personally Id look at a 5'11 baked or a 6-0 SP. The SP will catch smaller/gutless waves slightly better but the BP will maneuver a bit better. If you are used to riding a long board Id say go with a 5'10 or 6'0 SP. It will feel much more maneuverable than your log.

Comment

Ok thanks, BFILK. Ordered a SP 6' yesterday :)
                    Any suggestion on fin setup?

Comment

• BFILK
                      BFILK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are gonna love it. Did you go Futures? If so Controller Quad. I ended up picking up an FCS and I use the Heater Quad, wish I could get the Controllers tho.
                  Working...
                  X