X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting too used to the sweet

I own a 5"2 SP, and all i can say is that it has made my life so much better! :-).. It is the best and funnest thing that has ever happened to me.
    The thing is this: ever since i got it i'v'e been riding it 95% of the time cuz it is so much fun you don't even wanna hear about your other surfboards in your quiver, and i'm sure this happened to most people here!... well, when the conditions get overhead and hollow i usually pull out my regular short board, but when i ride it i feel as if i'm riding a stick! very unstable on it, cant even turn without almost falling, and i look and feel like a complete kook!!! and that is the same short board i have been ripping on before i had the SP, I love this sb but it feels so horrible under my feet that it makes me forget that i rode it really well before.
    Is the transition from the sweet to a regular sb THAT dramatic? I just wanted to know if it happened to anyone here and how or if they got over it..
    thanks in advance!

Try a vanguard :D

Comment

• Peterleo
      Peterleo commented
      Editing a comment
      i totally agree, I use my sweet potato almost all the time now, its a total laugh, i bought a 6, 2 model as it was half price in the shop, i.e. a ridiculous amount of volume in FST. I bring my Hellfire, Vanguard and this beast of a board, I ride it with Dave Rastovichs keel fins, quad fins but mostly the Elevons quads. I ride it in big waves at point breaks, small waves at point breaks , ripples and it truly launches. If the surf is good then i use the HF or VG then when tired of paddling i go out on this rocket . Aerials, cutbacks, fin free manoeuvres, its so good , i bought it as a replacement for my longboard. its almost replaced everything. Guaranteed to get a surf on this board. they should make the Vanguard with double con caves.

Sounds like you need a Vanguard!

Comment

Ditto. The Vanguard is nice compliment to the Sweet Potato stance.

Comment

Vanguard

Comment

haha i was about to say phils comments are slowly just reducing down to "VANGUARD" then i saw matts!

Comment

Wow! all of you guys say "vanguard" with no doubt!!... i was thinking of getting the legendary dominator, probably a 5"6.. I really wanna get it for strong hollow winter waves (4-6 ft)
            I can't imagine myself pulling a strong bottom turn on a 6ft wave with the vanguard, looks too extreme for me! do you guys think it will be better for good waves than the Dom?

Comment

• Matt_s
              Matt_s commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a 5'6 Dom, it's a good board but really for similar size waves as the sp (also had 5'2 so , switched it for a 5'3 BP) the Dom feels sketchey on anything with power even at head high when trying to sink a turn there's too much foam in the tail for powerful decent siized surf.

Nelson you getting one yet? Mine should be here next month :D

You can crank a turn on the Dominator up till about chest high. You can crank a turn on the Vanguard up till double overhead. The Dom will hold up till about head high and half but you're just nursing it at that point and trying stay in control. The Dom is a great board but you'll have to change your stance forward coming from the SP, where-as the Vanguard will feel familiar.

Comment

I have the 5.4 sp, 5.8 Dom and 5.9 uni. If you want a board for better days get a uni if you was considering the Dom. Like others have said the Dom will slide out on bigger days and u will have to nurse it. 3 years as an every day board I can just about get the Dom to handle the bigger suckier days, but it is a struggle, and you never feel confident on it taking big drops. The uni on the other hand I have surfed at a slab and it went well

Comment

Well, onshore, getting the uni will not solve the extreme transition from surfing 95% of the time on the SP and then riding a hp shortboard shape like the uni. as i already have a good JS shortboard that i really really love. Looks like i will go with the VG after i had done some research on it and found that people that have the same problem as me had no problem transitioning from the two boards... just have to ask the retailer to get me one in fst and i'm pretty sure that i will order it.
                Thanks alot for the advice guys! :-)

Comment

I had the same problem with my Baked potato, was a fun board but going from it to my other boards was hard just to much of a jump from even my baked to a hellfire, let alone flex fire, as soon as i get the coin will get a vanguard in FST.

Comment

Working...
                  X