Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th centre fin for Sweet Potato

Hello Firewire Community

I'm just after some feedback from the Firewire R&D Team and the online Community in regards to an idea I have for my 5'2" Sweet Potato.

After seeing a recent FW Tweet about the 'Von Sol knub', I was wondering how would a Sweet Potato perform with a 5th centre fin option with a Von Sol knub in place?

Would it:

> allow for more stable, agressive turning?
    > provide more grip/control in more punchy/steeper waves?
    > provide more drive?
    > look cool? : )
    > or could it completely ruin the dynamics of the board?

In the last case, I am tempted to go ahead anyway with getting a local shaper to add an extra fin box (Futures) and if it doesn't work, fill it with a box filler. I'd be worried about ruining the V in the tail though.

If it could work, what would be the most optimal position?

> Inline with the rear fins?
    > Slightly behind the rear fins?
    > Slightly in front of the rear fins?

Id be guessing 'slightly behind the rear fins' would be optimal as with all the 5 fin boards.

Please feel free to let me know what you think. I have a big urge to experiment after seeing that little Von Sol knub fin. If I can add more stoke to a board, I am all for it!

Cheers!

The fin positioning on the board was not designed for a thruster. Too much of a tail to be throwing a center fin in the mix.
    In my opininon it will slow the board and make those turns quite hard to do. It will take away from the board more than anything

Comment

Not a good idea. There is no high density foam to anchor a fin plug into so it wont be very strong. I was tempted to do the same on my quadraflex because the knub runs so well on my dominator.

Comment

If you were to do it, a single FCS plug would be better. Minimal carnage.

Comment

Bummer, didn't know about the variety of foam density, thanks saxman1.

Thanks for the tip prjwebb, that is a good idea to go with FCS.

Unless I get any positive feedback I'd say I might have to trash the idea, worth a crack!

Comment

Is the board RF or FST?

Comment

Rapid Fire

Comment

I think it would be fairly easy for someone to do on an RF board. That's not to say it'll be worth doing though, but it could be magic.

Comment

Id suggest cutting out a square, sticking a higher density cube of foam in there with epoxy and then fitting a single FCS plug from there. Glass other the new area with 2 layers of 4oz cloth and it should be solid.
                  I'd get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work if you do go ahead with it though, would be a shame to mess up a great board.
                  Would love to hear the result if you take the gamble!

Comment

For sure, if I do it I would definitely be getting a pro to do it, would hate to ruin the V in the tail and more.

I'll wait and see if we get a reply from Chris or anyone else from FW before going ahead, in the mean time I might order a couple of Knub's.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't know how much you'd gain from it because the board has a double concave the centre ridge is already giving you something to pivot around I would think. I have a bat tail quad with a double concave in the rear half and it pivots like a thruster so that makes me wonder if you would gain much. Maybe with that wide tail on the SP it might help if you ever felt it was wallowing around.

Comment

Carnage!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                          Id suggest cutting out a square, sticking a higher density cube of foam in there with epoxy and then fitting a single FCS plug from there. Glass other the new area with 2 layers of 4oz cloth and it should be solid.
                          I'd get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work if you do go ahead with it though, would be a shame to mess up a great board.
                          Would love to hear the result if you take the gamble!
                          Carnage

Comment

Maybe try a shaping a knubby fin from a piece of plastic from a T shape extrusion. Then you could stick it on using some silicon glue temporarily to see what you get, if anything, from a 5th fin.

Comment

Glass one on!

Comment

Working...
                              X