X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sweet Potato Size question

Gents- I've been doing a lot of research on the SP vs BP vs PN, read a bunch on this forum (you guys rock btw!) and am left wondering if I should be going down in size for a SP. I'm 6'3 215ish (fluctuate 5-10 lbs in either direction) and a beginner/intermediate surfer. I've been surfing for a lot longer than my skill would indicate as I've made the mistake of constantly getting undersized short boards and limiting my wave catching to half a dozen waves per session due to inability to paddle into/catch waves. Because of this, I had been shooting for a big SP to help me catch waves in Southern Cal specifically mushy/blowout slop in the 1-3 ft range. Using various volume calculators I get the following suggestions for weak waves: 55-63 L (firewire beg/int), 46-52L (firewire Int), 53 L (Rusty) & 43-48L (Lost). I demo'd a 5'10 in 1-2 foot ankle slappers and went back and demo'd the 6'0 in 2-3. I had a much more fun time on the 6'0 BUT the surf was also better. The thing floated like a boat at 51 L and I can tell you I don't think I've ridden a board much greater than 40L in 10 years, but I listened to the volume calc (due to issues in the past w/undersizing) and demo'd the 6'0 (which was still 4 L lower than the vol calc indicates). Based on all this, I'm thinking to go with the 5'10 (46.8 L) but now I'm wondering if I should go to the 5'8 (43 L) after reading about how everyone ends up wishing they went shorter. I also was a bit swayed towards even going to a BP based on everyone's comments but honestly I think I suck too much to take advantage of what the BP has to offer. I can catch waves, ride the face and have been practicing pumping but literally have no turns/lip hits/nada. I am trying to work on speed/pumping. My current boards are a 6'4 Lost SDII for when its decent out (not that often) and an undersized 6'1 McConnell Flying Fish for the rest of the time. I would like to use the SP for the super small days up to say 4 ft if its mushy (to replace the McConnell). I get out about 2 times/wk now and I would say my fitness/paddling ability is average. What do you guys think? I don't want to end up with too little volume but I also don't want to get too much and be stuck not getting into waves or having the skatey/fun performance of the board bogged down. Sorry for the long post, I think I'm really overanalyzing it but its a good chunk of change and I want to get it right. Thanks!

You'll have more fun catching waves on a bigger one than you will struggling if you go too small. I think over sizing only really becomes an issue when you are wrapping turns in them but for catching waves and zipping around I had a blast on a 5'8 at 165lbs. I bought a 5'2 but in small crap waves I had more fun on the 5'8 demo. The 5'2 was great fun in decent little waves though.

Comment

Thanks Phill, so if you enjoyed the 5'8 it looks like I should be shooting for the 5'10 or even the 6'0 since I outweigh you by a good 60+ lbs.

Comment

If you had a blast on the 6'0 it's not a bad call. You're tall enough and have the weight to make the bigger sizes work for you. You could always try the 5'10 again in the waves you will typically ride it in and decide from there. I see no need for you to try and go too small though.

Comment

I made pretty the same experiences. With the same height and weight as you I always surfed undervolumed boards until I got a 6'4'' retro fish in 2005. In 2010 I bought a 6'4 Dominator (41.5l) but I missed too many waves on it. In 2011 I got a 6' SP and since then almost exclusively rode this board.

It has a lot of volume. Good to ride knee high mush but if the waves become over chest/shoulder high the Sp will slide out on the first bottom turn. I know I could definitely ride a 5'10 so I bought a 6'4 PN with almost the same volume at around 48l.
          Unfortunately couldn’t try it until now.

I would say you have to decide if you either want to surf even the smallest waves on your SP (6’)or if you also want to use it in "bigger" waves (5’10)...

Comment

Thanks Alex72. Let me ask what you think of the 6' SP for small days and the 6'4 PN for when it's bigger/cleaner. I had actually been thinking of doing the same thing. How does the PN feel at your size?

Comment

I did not surf the PN yet. Hopefully in a few weeks. But if I could decide again I would take the 6'4 nano. It should also be easy to catch waves with but with more performance in bigger steeper waves. As I only rode the SP so far you should read the nano and PN forums or somebody else should chime in. Here is what cuttlefish wrote me about the PN: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...11-please-help

Comment

Thanks bro!

Comment

After reading that post it sounds like I really wouldn't be disappointed with a 6'0 SP, a 5'11 BP or a 6'4 PN. Maybe I'll just keep my eyes peeled on Craigslist and let fate decide for me. Thanks to all for your input

Comment

Ended up picking up a 6'0 SP in FCS. No controllers avail so put some Rainbow Fin quads on there. Took it out in some horrible conditions yesterday and the thing still put a smile on my face. Awesome board!

Comment

Heater quad?

Comment

Bingo! How you likin em?

Comment

Couldn't try 'em yet. But had some indo controllers with similar template. Hope these will give some more hold as they are stiffer...

Comment

• Alex72
                            Alex72 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            By the way - good board choice. I love my 6' sp. Took me some sessions to get used to it though...

Tons of hold on these guys, it was def a super frustrating start. The conditions were terrible and I wasn't catching anything. Then I moved up about 3 inches on the board and started catching everything, def have to keep that back foot ALL the way back which took some getting used to. Definitely an awesome board. Would love to hear your thoughts on the PN when it arrives.

Comment

Finally got a chance to get out in some decent waist/chest high surf. This board is absolutely ridiculous! I've never had that much fun in a session ever. Anyone contemplating a spud should stop hesitating and buy one now!

Comment

Working...
                            X