Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha yeah, love that other forum!

Comment

Well done Cuttle, onlyi problem is it bloddy hard to find a board bag to fit it in!

I am looking forward to your comparison with the P-nator.

The SP for a board that catches waves so easy, I find hard to surf. It took about 5 surfs to get the back foot in the right spot but I still kook a lot of take offs cause of the flat rocker and lack of ability. It either falls down the drop or accelates out from under my feet. I'm considering changing to a P-nator.

I admit though, when everything lines up, it is the most exciting board in my quiver. I am probably trying to surf it too much in conditions when I should be taking out my ADDvance.

PS would a shorter SP that still has enough volume help with making takeoffs.

Comment

Ckvl, stick with it mate. However if you are coming down of longboards, the SP is a handful first up. That has been my progression at 45 hrs, and 95 kgs. You could try an ADDvance, my 702 catches waves easier than my 604 SP and is very forgiving. It is much more fun to surf (and carry around) than any of my longboards up to 4 ft but won't give you the speed fix of a SP.

Comment

I'm good getting up/catching waves etc, I just can't get the little bastard to go yet!! I'm making waves just can't find any drive. It must be the back foot thing as I know I tend to surf a bit front footed. I'm going to have to consciously find the kick at the end of the pad, not just the middle

Comment

Hi STC,
            We're about to load up the car with the family and the P'nator and Spud (of course) and head down to Broken head/Byron (oops named a spot - Lol) for the week.
            No trouble for board bags for me. We make our own out of upholstery fabrics in a sock style.
            Trouble is out of the 2 that we've just done to fit the new spud (6') a past customer just dropped around yesterday and bought one of them and said he'd be back next weekend for the other so no time to make a new one before leaving.
            So the new spud and p'nator are squeezed into a 6'6" funboard cover for now.
            I will continue to pour out the feedback and it's going to be an interesting week with so much uncertainty in the upcoming forecasts.
            I've got some pretty interesting fin combos that most will never have come across to try in the spud....Carbon G TF1 (I think they're called) and the curved Webbers and a limited edition Shapers Australia DVS cut away twin tab keel (which are a quad set) apart from the old faithfull Stretches.
            I did bump into a guy who's also got a new p'nator and loves it. He's also no kid and stocky...and frothing!
            Have to drop into the GC on the way thru to lend some centre fins I have to JAM71 who's got a spud also but is patiently waiting for something a bit longer than a 5'4" p'nator demo to turn up so he can see what I'm on about.

Comment

Will be interested to hear feedback on those curved Webber fins. I've been intrigued by them ever since I first saw them.

Comment

Had a carbon set in a performance longboard with a 7" centre- best side fins I've ever used. So much lift and drive in the tail and the board hooked around really nicely, no slide

Comment

a shorter board will only make the drops more difficult
                  Originally posted by STC67 View Post
                  Well done Cuttle, onlyi problem is it bloddy hard to find a board bag to fit it in!

I am looking forward to your comparison with the P-nator.

The SP for a board that catches waves so easy, I find hard to surf. It took about 5 surfs to get the back foot in the right spot but I still kook a lot of take offs cause of the flat rocker and lack of ability. It either falls down the drop or accelates out from under my feet. I'm considering changing to a P-nator.

I admit though, when everything lines up, it is the most exciting board in my quiver. I am probably trying to surf it too much in conditions when I should be taking out my ADDvance.

PS would a shorter SP that still has enough volume help with making takeoffs.

Comment

haha yeah good stuff.

control comes from managing the board via your back foot AND using it in small surf. It can be a tough board to "realize" if you take it out good surf.....

CHeers!

Comment

Another nightmare in fun onshore 2ft waves. Take off, can't get on rail, eventually stop. We don't get on! It's the worst I've surfed since probably the 3rd time I tried 17 years ago so it's now for sale. Anyone in the UK wants it it's advertised on the community pages on MSW.

Comment

bummer. stay on a narrow tailed board perhaps. the sweet potato certainly is a radical design and certainly isn't for everyone.

Cheers!

Comment

I may have been spitting the dummy a little..... Just a little. Head high peaks today, and some lefts where I did some nice backhand roundhouses, and a couple rights where I got my feet in the right place and got some speed up, actually felt the fins! Seems easier on my backhand at mo, maybe due to turning more off back foot going that way. Also seems better in head high than waist high for me. Had the sf4s in back and some Rfc mr style twins in front. Bit of slide but better than the front sf4s in the back. I am
                          Going to give it another month or two, there were glimpses and enough speed to keep me happy. I'd say to big guys like me 6'4 115kg that it maybe isn't a full groveller, at least not til you have it wired/it's summer cos with full hood boots and 5/4 it needs head high at my break.
                          What's a good quad rear with a bit more hold than the sf4? Also how does the MR with sf4 combo compare to controller quads?

Comment

I had better results on my backhand too initially.

Comment

Same here!!

Comment

good stuff ckvl, see what some of the other forum folks say about the fins!

Comment

Working...
                                X