Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato- why cant I make it work?

To be fair it's only a couple of surfs old but... Any other board I've had new I can tell if it'll work and I can surf pretty much straight away. I'm 6'4 245lbs and been surfing 17 years most days. I normally ride a variety of longboards but have had several fishes over the years. I've bought the 6'4 potato, with MR in front and sf4 rears. Taken it out in 3ft slight onshore really rippable waves and I just can't get the thing on a rail to bottom turn, I feel like such a kook! I should be flying on these waves and instead I'm just stuck near the bottom with no drive and no rail, what the hell is going on? A couple more surfs like that and it's going, someone please help!!!

Get your back foot planted right on the tail and your weight right back and the thing bloody takes off. Took me and few waves with the same feelings you're having then I shifted my weight and I was hooked. So much fun!

Comment

That's right!!! that board needs your back foot ALL THE WAY to the back!!And believe me once the fins engage it's on!!!Soooo much speed!!

Comment

That board is all about the sweet spot

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I have been using my front foot to set the rail on turns on my other boards, and certainly drive off of it... I've looked down to check my back foot and it falls kind of in the middle of the pad, are you suggesting trying to get it right against the kick? Do you keep your weight distributed fifty fifty or put more weight on the back? Its so frustrating not being able to surf but I desperately want to ride this thing, it's so refreshing at my size to have a board so short that gets into waves so well. Any and all advice will be gratefully received, as I said I've been along time on longboards at a fair standard, I feel like Im back at square one

Comment

I'm very front footed also so it took quite a bit of effort to shift my weight back.
            I'd try and get your foot against the kick if you can and put your weight back. It felt like more than 50/50 back foot to me but maybe just because I'm usually more front.

Comment

Originally posted by ckvl View Post
              Thanks guys, I think I have been using my front foot to set the rail on turns on my other boards, and certainly drive off of it... I've looked down to check my back foot and it falls kind of in the middle of the pad, are you suggesting trying to get it right against the kick? Do you keep your weight distributed fifty fifty or put more weight on the back? Its so frustrating not being able to surf but I desperately want to ride this thing, it's so refreshing at my size to have a board so short that gets into waves so well. Any and all advice will be gratefully received, as I said I've been along time on longboards at a fair standard, I feel like Im back at square one
              Feet against the kick of the pad (towards the very end of the board) and lean towards your back foot when turning. Remember you need to sink that tail. I to 75back 25front otherwise I catch rail

Comment

Attachment - agree with above, my back foot is almost on the leash plug, I dont use a pad on this one. this is me today in weak 2ft surf and Im flying - getting onto the wave is always my problem but once on the spud takes of. Attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

If you've ever ridden a McCoy nugget and/or mini-simmons boards the learning curve for riding a sweet potato is non-existent.
                  Rear foot placement like the crew are advising.
                  It's the opposite of a fish which you can surf with your weight and foot placement forward.
                  Wide planing area under the riders feet.
                  If you're not used to that rear foot weighting the first time you do get it right the board may take off so fast you'll be on your arse wondering what just happened.

Comment

I second that last line Pete!

Comment

Haha, I hope so!!
                      So far as fins are concerned, bearing in mind I'm 115kg, I have used 1) g-am in front with the front of the sf4's in back, and MR tfx with the front sf4 in back. I wonder if the tfx would be best with the rear sf4 it just looked too small!

Comment

I was thinking indo fin controllers, are these any good?

Comment

The Futures Controllers get a lot of hype on here from guys using them in their SP and El Fuegos. The Indofin ones are a copy for FCS plugs so they should go great.
                          I just had SF4s in the Sweet Potato I demoed and was surprised how fast the board was with those fins. I'm planning on running mine with MRTFX fronts and the K2.1 Quad rears when I get it. I'll try all my different front fins though and see which feels best.

Comment

My only gripe with the board is I find it difficult in real small surf getting onto the wave, once up I have no problem but getting onto the wave is the issue, I had thought about either trying a 5'6 or wait and get a 5'10 potatonator

Comment

"Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more".
                              LOL!
                              So I marched into my local surfshop yesterday afternoon and demanded they hand over a sweet potato.
                              A rather simple process...they just asked me to let them look at some piece of plastic I had on my person and slid it across a machine they had on the countertop. I was then required to select my lucky numbers on said machine and it regurgitated a piece of paper for me and I left with their stern warning ringing in my ears..."do not show this to your wife or you're dead meat".
                              Followed by a great bit of advice..."keep it in a board bag".
                              I will now have to head over to another forum to get berated for my purchase.
                              Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X