Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato volume vs HPSB/PerformanceHybrid volume.

Hello guys thinking on buying a sweet potato for the mushy days, but iīm in doubt, should i keep the same board volume i usually surf on my Hashtag 5'11'' 29,5l? or should i pick one with a bit more volume?

Regards Hugo

A little more volume is good unless your waves are still punchy and powerful when small.

Comment

In that case i think the 5'2'' with 32.2l? Or more?

Regards Hugo

Comment

yeah phills right about the steeper waves, also, i went up a size and i cant adjust to the extra float in a board that wide. you dont need it. i waste waves kooking out. plus if the wave sucks up your in trouble. also you then have to readjust to your lower volume normal board when the waves are good.. stick to your volume unless you will ride it often in really flat faced waves.

Comment

depends on your wave catching ability and your surfing skill level..my regular shortboard is a 5'9" stealth 25.9L so i ride a 5'0" SP 28.9L. i think you might struggle on a 5'0". a 5'2" SP or a 5'3" BP might suit you better

Comment

I had a 6'0 Siptfire with 35l, and for the waves i was surfing it felt that had to much volume, since i surf my hashtag at 29.5l, i was pointing for a 5'2'' SP or 5'3'' BP with 32.4l, because the 5'0''/5'1'' would be a bit less volume than the hashtag. The nest size up for the BP and SP in around 36L!! Wouldnīt it be to much, or do you think for this boards is ok?

Comment

yeah that's too much volume if you thought the spitfire had too much volume

Comment

I vote 5'2 SP

Comment

Great guys, a 5'2'' SP or 5'3'' BP will be! :) Now has to both models, do you think the BP catch's waves has easy has the SP, and surfs the same waves? Nevīs says the BP is exactly the same, volume distribution, rocker, double concave, fin near the rails etc has the SP, just the nose had tail arenīt the same. Because if so i think i prefer the BP tail, what do you think?

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I found that the baked lost a lot of the grovel ability of the sweet and although having a better turning arc and surfing a lot looser, it was slower and needed much better waves to shine.
                    I know others love it though but if I was to buy another it'd be the sweet.

502.. i went 504 at 90kg and its a handful jumping off 28-30 lts.. always remember, if your on the right volume already then a couple of liters more WONT help much with paddling but it WILL affect your performance..

Comment

• Hugomcsm
                    Hugomcsm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok Core but unless i decrease the volume to 28.9L of the 5'0'', the other option is the 5'2" that has 2.5L more than my hashtag volume. Do you think decreasing volume will be a good ideia? Or the 2.5L more volume will reduce a lot the performance?

• nalu808
                    nalu808 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i wouldn't go less than what your normal sb is..you will struggle to catch waves..the SP is a very loose board and you will have no problem making quick turns on it

if you're only using it for mushy days i would go with the SP..with the right fin combo the SP can do it all too..i'm using mb3 fronts and 3.75 flat rears..flat rears are a must

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree on flat rears

i'd say the 502 is doable. especially as its for barely breaking waves.. not too much more foam there and you jump back on your norm board if the waves start to shape up. the hashtag will ride small waves..having said that, this is assuming you are on the right volume with your norm board.. eg, while i'm lighter atm, i ride 28.5 ish lts at 90kgs so the 502 would work near to its potential.(dominate it and pump and drive it). if your a lightweight riding 29.5 lts then your already fighting foam and any more will be noticable. if you can bury your hashtag easily then you'll be fine..
                  Last edited by core personal training; 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Hugomcsm
                    Hugomcsm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I surf with my back foot really back on the tail, and the hashtag has a very hpsb tail, that is so easy to bury the rail. Super fast and sharp turns.

I finally pulled the trigger on a 5'2" Sweet Potato, my first FireWire! I'm yet to ride it but hopefully it's not going to have too much foam after reading this post. I'm 74kgs (165lbs) & ride short boards just under 26Ltrs & have a hybrid just over 26 Ltrs but the SP has 32.2Ltrs. My plan is to ride the SP in really small, gutless beach breaks where I would be forced to grab a log. Next year I intend to fill the groveller gap with a 5'6" Dominator @ 28.4Ltrs. I'll have to see on the maiden voyage if I can still throw it around! Sorry to railroad your post Hugomcsm

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You'd prob be good on a 5'0 but the 5'2 is fun :D

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ooh yeah!!
                    I'd go medium Accelerator fronts with a flat sided medium quad rear. I wouldn't worry too much about the centre plug but a nub might be fun in the right waves. Enjoy the speeeeed!

Yeah, actually haven't got any 2 series fins yet so will look into it. Might get a converter kit just to whack my K2.1's at first to get it into it. Are the flat rears to give a bit more hold?

Comment

• drumbull
                    drumbull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Which quad sets have flat rears? Most look like they are 80/20 or 50/50.

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I used DS side fins. Maybe try some grom or small thruster sides. Flat sided works best when the fins are out on rail like that. More drive and seemed to stop the sliding out. 80/20 is ok but I found my SP lit up with flat sided.
                    50/50 are more suited to central quad placements like the pros use in big barrels.
                Working...
                X