Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato Fins

Hey guys

I am getting ready to order a 5'6 sweet potato. Anyone have any experience with the Future Rasta bamboo fins, controllers, or those fancy evelons?

Thanks for the input.

Bill

I've heard wonders about the rastas!
    Have a set of elevons but t be honest I like better the controllers. With the elevons the lift the wing produces is not needed since the tail is wide enough to support itself in the crap

Comment

going to get a set of the Rastas soon and I'll let people know how they ride...

Comment

still procrastinating between a Sweet Potato or the potatonator. might wait to also look at the Baked Potato.
        However has any one tried the TC Aqualine quads in one of these boards ???
        Last edited by Bigblackdog; 04-03-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

hey bigblackdog,
          i think it really depends on what waves you are looking to address. I really think the Sweet Potato is best for smaller waves than the Potatonator, think 1-3 feet while the Potatonator's sweet spot is in the 2-3+ range. The baked potato and sweet potato are good for the same conditions, they just have slightly different nests and tails so their performance will vary slightly...

hope this helps.

Comment

Chris thanks for the feedback.
            The volume calculator now puts me on a 5'8" sweet potato, had almost convinced myself that the 506 would be ok. Glad that I found the FireWire website as we have very limited board shops here with FireWire boards stocked. Hence they have been totally off my board radar.
            Finding the forum most informative as it is always good to get feedback from other people.

Comment

My experience with Future fins on the Sweet Potato: Controllers are my favorites. Great drive and looseness too. Stretches are really loose and quicken up the rail-to-rail action but don't have as much drive as the Controllers. Scimitars are smooth and loose. Like those too. Elevons are fast on a line but didn't feel all that smooth or loose to me. Depends on how you want your SP to feel under your feet. I liked all of these fins for different reasons, but I have to recommend the Controllers for all-around fun.

Comment

hey big black dog, the 506 still may be ok. the suggestions that come out of the volume calculator are meant to be just that, suggestions. There are personal variables that will and should impact your choice such as age, wave preference, riding style, etc etc etc that you should also consider...

How tall are you and what do you weigh??

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bigblackdog View Post
                  Chris thanks for the feedback.
                  The volume calculator now puts me on a 5'8" sweet potato, had almost convinced myself that the 506 would be ok. Glad that I found the FireWire website as we have very limited board shops here with FireWire boards stocked. Hence they have been totally off my board radar.
                  Finding the forum most informative as it is always good to get feedback from other people.
                  Love the new add ons to the volume calculator!!!.
                  As Chris said the volume calculator is just a tool to guide you more or less to the right path. It ultimately depends on preferences.
                  In my case I'm 84Kgs and the volume calculator puts me on the 30-37lts range, I went skeptic in the beginning due to the reduction in length to a 5'6" only to find out it was a bit too much foam for my size. Sold it and got a 5'2" and it's just perfect!!.
                  My advice here, take a few advices and follow your instincts

Comment

Chris , 76 kg and 6'1", 50 yo.

Consider myself intermediate with good fitness.
                    Will stew on it over Easter as I want to put in an order to secure a board with the next shipment. Common theme in the forum though is people changing down a size rather than going up. I am just fence sitting at the moment 506/508.

Comment

6'1" 76 kgs, I assume long limbs?.
                      If you consider yourself as a good paddler I would go for the 5'6". At this point is more rail length than flotation the issue.
                      Asan intermediate I believe you want to squeeze performance out of that board and at 5'8" it will be too much foam under the feet and might feel corky

Comment

yep 5-8 too big
                        45 yrs 5-10 175 lbs 5-4 perfect. i coulda also got away w/ 5-2, so dont go too big.

Comment

i actually ride a 5'2" which I find perfect for my local conditions.
                          At 6'1" rail length might be the issue more than volume

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Will have the opportunity to have a play on a 506 later this week. Will make the decision easier.

Comment

Hi black dog,

I am 74kg & 41 years young. I ride a 5'6 spud and could easily ride a 5'4. The reason why i dont is that i like the extra foam for smaller waves otherwise IMHO opinion riding a lower volume board in slop would defeat the point. From memory a 5'6 spud is 38 litres which is plenty of volume for me (a local shaper told me that his 5'6 mini simmons are usually 36 litres). I use controllers and agree with Pagey re the different fins.....havent tried the rastas though.

Comment

Working...
                              X