Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'6" or 5'8" need some help deciding...

I am just about to put an order in for a new sweet potato FST but I am still undecided on volume so thought I would seek some input from this forum. To give you some context I am 187cm (6'1"ish) and weigh in at about 83kg (183lb)...the board will be used in 1-3 foot Perth (Oz) metro waves and I would guestimate my ability as intermediate. I am steering towards the 5'8" but the guy in the shop is suggesting the 5'6". From a volume point of view they both seem about right but I am concerned about going to such a short board (this board is replacing a 6'0" fish). Any guidance on the volume or length would be appreciated.

Thnx
    P/

5'6" at the most!

Comment

jejeje love the GUESTIMATE thing!!! I got to concur with PRJ, 5'6" max. This board packs lots of foam. To put things into perspective I'm 84 Kgs 165cms and with a 5/4 wetsuit, my 5'2" potato floats me up to where my ribs start. This board will have you wishing for small crappy days!!!

Comment

Pablo,

If you decide to go smaller I have a 5'4 FST Sweet Potato for sale with bag and fins........i live in the South West.

Comment

Thanks guys I am being swayed to the 5'6" (sorry Fazza if it were the 5'6" I would def be keen). Getting excited now!

Next question I have is regards fin (FCS) selection....I am thinking of something like the Q-PC7 or SA-2. Thoughts??

Comment

Im 93kg, and i have the 5,8 and love it with the rusty r2 quad fin setup.....

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
              jejeje love the GUESTIMATE thing!!! I got to concur with PRJ, 5'6" max. This board packs lots of foam. To put things into perspective I'm 84 Kgs 165cms and with a 5/4 wetsuit, my 5'2" potato floats me up to where my ribs start. This board will have you wishing for small crappy days!!!
              Geez, you're lucky Iggy.
              I'm 6'1" and 93 kgs and wearing boardshorts but my 6' spud only floats me to my belly button with the board level in the water.
              People say I must have dense bones (and muscles LOL).

Comment

I reckon when you're sat on your board in the water your wetsuit could add buoyancy. You certainly float better in a wetsuit.
                In my 5/4 and boots my 28l CBD is floating me towards the bottom of my ribs so the 5'2 Spud is going to be below my ribs I reckon.

Comment

Interesting...I thought the common practice was to ride more foam in winter to compensate for wetsuits.
                  What do I know...I hardly ever have to wear more than a springsuit (and I don't like them).

Comment

Yeah, I guess the sitting on your board measurement isn't so good because the submerged wetsuit has great buoyancy whereas when you're wet and paddling and out of the water there's greater weight on the board.

Comment

yeah good stuff...

so wetsuits: definitely buoyant, it would float all day. Neoprene is designed to trap air in order to reduce weight. Having that will certainly elevate buoyancy.

Is more foam better when in a thickie suit? Yes! Definitely! I think there are two major reasons to do this. One, every stroke is harder in a winter suit, so more volume (within reason) is going to limit your fatigue rate and will increase the length of your session potentially. I know from surfing winters in Maine that my window of peak endurance is far shortened and thus a low volume board becomes harder to use earlier in my sessions. The second reason is obvious, and that is weight. In a 6/5 or 5/4 with boots and gloves you are definitely adding between 10 and 15lbs. So for me I go from 175 to 190...that's a lot!!! therefore a little extra volume is better for paddling and performance.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X