Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm bidding on that, you leave it alone. :( Please.

Comment

Suncoastslop,

I just went through the sizing dilema with the Sweet Potato. I'm 6 feet, 195 lbs and 36 years old. I was able to demo a 6'2" Rapid Fire. I knew it would be too big, but figured it would help with the size part of it. As luck would have it, the few days I had to try the SP had a good 6-7 foot South swell running. I paddled out on the 6'2" expecting it to slide out and chatter along in the bigger surf. I took off on the first wave and to my amazement the 6'2" was perfect for head high waves. It felt a little big going straight up the face and doing quick snaps, but the speed it had allowed me to do big round house cutbacks. I ordered a 5'8" thinking it would be the perfect size. As the swell dropped to 4-5 feet, I was able to try out the 5'8". The thing ran like a freight train down the line, paddled well, and on a rail felt pretty good, but the board felt too small. When I was not on a rail, the board had a nervous feeling and I slid out on more than one occasion if I was completely on rail (although the slide outs were controllable).

I settled on a 5'10". The 6'0" felt more like the 6'2", too big... the 5'8" felt more like the 5'6"...

I surfed the 5'10" yesterday in 2-3 foot true wind slop (What the SP is made for). It paddled great into most waves and I think even the longboarders were wondering how I was catching the crap I did. It had good drive, and seemed to have a new personality in the crappy surf. In the good surf, the board screamed down the line and went rail to rail. In this small powerless surf, the board still had drive, but would pivot more off the lip than carve up to it. I think the 5'8" would of been perfect for the size yesterday, but we tend to get a lot of 5' wind slop here, and the 5'10" will hold it's own better in the larger waves.

Hope this info helps. If you truely want it only for 2-3 foot waves, the 5'8" may be the call.

Comment

Good stuff Vern

Comment

Originally posted by Danga View Post
          I'm bidding on that, you leave it alone. :( Please.
          I wouldn't dream of spoiling your party.
          Good luck with the bidding.
          Interesting stuff Vern, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Good info vern, im am going to demo a 5'6 fst shortly, so that will give me a starting point, what you are describing is exactly what im trying to avoid.

cheers

Comment

Let us know how you go on the 5"6 suncoast slop, so many people wrestle with the sizing dilema of the spud. Once on one and you have a few surfs (regardless of if its a 5"6 or 5"8) you wont regret your purchase. They re a ton of fun and more versatile than given credit for. I tend to finish most of my surfs on mine, i keep it in the car and pull it for the last 45 mins regardless just for the contrast and the fun of it oh and the SPEED which is why My hair is permanently on end;)

Comment

rode the 5'6 just before dark this arvo in week 1-2 foot waves, once i got on the waves the board felt fast and loose, just had a lot of trouble paddling onto waves, any suggestions for how far fwd or back body position should be? found me missing waves that normally i would have got, looking at a full day demo'ing tommorow so should know more then, it is just doing my head in getting onto waves, any suggestions?

cheers

Comment

i found leaving the take off later increased the initial speed and made paddling into waves effortless. i don't think a board that short is going to pick up waves early like a longboard. you want to be fairly forward paddling it, but only where it feels natural and balanced like on any board.

Comment

5'6 fst update, rode noosa this morn 2-4 " up to high tide ,super early before the circus arrived, board performed well once up and riding, but definitely think more volume needed, maby 5'10 or 6' in the fst or switch to rapid fire, lack of flotation/volume was holding back the paddling power causing waves to be missed, looking fwd to another test

cheers

Comment

Catch up to Woodsy or Sutto (Gary) at Beachbeat and organise a borrow of Hingy's 5'10".
                      Woodsy would be able to bring it to Alex if the board's at Caloundra tomorrow (Fri) as he does an inter shop run in the morning.
                      I've scored a lend of a demo 5'8" which I'll collect on Sat or Sun and I'll post my thoughts on it.
                      You never know I may like it better than my 6'er.
                      Still think the p'nators more versatile.
                      Rode the spud first then swapped to the p'nator afterwards today.
                      May go for a surf at Noosa tomorrow through the middle of the day too.

Comment

Hey I thought I made a post on this thread but I guess it didnt go through. but I feel like i need to add the SP to my quiver. so im 5'9 170lbs. 5'0 o 5'2 ahhh!!?!?

Comment

I'd say 5'2" unless you're surfing punchy waves in boardies and really want as small a board as possible even if it makes things a little harder for you...

Basically 5'2"...

Comment

Got my mitts on a brand spanking new 5'8" fst spud with fcs plugs to demo this am.
                            Had a surf on another board and then curiousity got the better of me and I took the spud out for a couple of quick waves.
                            4-5 solid point waves (albeit it's a soft point) and the spud finned up with Carbon G-TF1 (if memory serves) fronts and M5 rears.
                            Paddled well and had me floating at sternum depth with board level under the water.
                            My first wave and the board went like the rocket it is.
                            No slipping and sliding just haulin' A along a fast breaking wall that beats most.
                            Hoohaa!
                            Quite a few set waves breaking way outside so a lot of duckdiving while waiting for some mid sized ones to be fair to the spud's job description card (small waves).
                            Snagged an inside one eventually and hit the gas pedal into the inside bowl where it closes out. A cheeky turn up the wall because I had so much speed with a good attempt at beating the lip as the water drained out in front of me however the low rocker became a small issue.
                            My cheekiness had me bouncing along the rocks on the bottom and after surfacing I was pleased to see the spud was in 1 piece.
                            Once I got home I noticed a small fracture on the rail inbetween the front and rear fins.
                            Dropped back into the shop this afternoon to see if they had some Solarez available as I couldn't find mine and the board was promptly re-claimed by the zealous staff who insisted on it being repaired properly.
                            Hopefully solar rez will be applied tomorrow am and I can have it back or it will have to go to their ding repairer and it won't come back until Friday.
                            We're talking about a 5mm fracture here but I don't want water intruding all the same.
                            The fracture looks like a handling one (hit the edge of a doorway) not a surfing fracture but I hadn't noticed it when I'd put the fins in although I was moving pretty darn fast when I put them in because the waves were pumping.
                            If I don't want to buy it this one it will be a demo available for one and all (Ahoy Suncoastslop).
                            Last edited by cuttlefish; 04-20-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Cuttle, Yes spoke to gary very helpful, and has turned me on to epoxy, may have a chance to ride a 5'10 rf with fcs shortly, just wondering as i will have a choice of fins what would be a good start, for my 95kg frame?, rode the 5'6 with mrtx fronts and cant remember the rears, which felt ok at boiling pot thurs, but if you can suggest a setup for fcs that would be great, as i have been looking at future setups, i really havent paid much attention to fcs.

ill be waiting to hear the feedback on the 5'8 would love a demo if it happens, is repairing epoxy much of a deal? easier or worse then glass?

cheers
                              Last edited by suncoastslop; 04-20-2012, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Repairs are mostly the same, just using an epoxy resin instead of a polyester resin. Epoxy is mixed in 2:1 quantities rather than adding a few drips of catalyst so can be a little awkward when mixing tiny quantities and takes a little longer to go off but the process it's self is exactly the same.
                                If you have bigger repairs on FST boards when you break through the balsa or high density skins it can get a little more complicated but it takes a pretty major impact to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X