Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah those look like a fun set? Keep us posted.

Comment

• Put the rear strteches in with the Indo fronts in pumping 3-4' point waves yesterday.
      WOW!
      Go as fast as you want with hold for big arcs.
      Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

• Should I be ordering some indo fins Pete?

Comment

• Definitely!
          Especially when you can mix and match them with different rears and still have them feel so good.
          When the swell drops (gotta love that) I'll try some GXQ PCs with flat inside foils with the Indo fronts too.
          This week the nearest Buoy topped out at 7.5 metres.
          It's pumped since last Friday with biggest days Mon and Tue with the points still firing up until today and tomorrow should still be good.
          Last edited by cuttlefish; 06-16-2012, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• Living the dream! The shocking conditions have continued here. Can't remember the last time I had a decent surf. March maybe?

I've got the K2.1 quad rears. I can't remember exactly what template they are but they could be fun with the Indo fronts. Should have my SP by the end of next week. The question is, do I order the Controllers now, or wait until I've tried the DL fronts with K2.1 rears and MRTFX with 2.1 rears...

Comment

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
              Living the dream! The shocking conditions have continued here. Can't remember the last time I had a decent surf. March maybe?

I've got the K2.1 quad rears. I can't remember exactly what template they are but they could be fun with the Indo fronts. Should have my SP by the end of next week. The question is, do I order the Controllers now, or wait until I've tried the DL fronts with K2.1 rears and MRTFX with 2.1 rears...
              Ha! join the club. I've been doing lots of CARVER and SUP lately on my end!!!

Comment

• Can you go big with the SP and still get the joy? I ride a really fat and wide 6'2 retro fish now and am wondering if a SP at a similar length would give the same sort of ride. Anyone out there had a go on the big ones??

Comment

• I tried a 5'10" as a demo. Figured I needed a 6'er [51 litres] for more paddle power.
                  I've had a 6'6" addvance which had no corkiness issues at 48 litres.
                  So bought the 6'er and surfed it in smaller, weak point waves and had a lot of trouble catching waves and getting the planing speed I'd experienced on the demo 5'10".
                  But....then a good swell arrived and I tried surfing it in solid 3-5' point waves and caught waves easily and had an absolute blast.
                  Then the swell dropped and I had difficulty catching waves again.
                  Since the spud is supposed to be my small wave board as I already had a 6'2" potatonator as my daily driver, I traded the 6' spud in on a 5'8" after demoing it in 2' waves.
                  I found the 5'8" let the energy of the smaller waves be harnessed as I paddled into them while the 6'er felt like it was floating over them.
                  It's a two edged sword though....surfing the 5'8" this past weekend in good 3-5' point waves had me missing the paddle power of the 6'er as I struggled to get my fair share of waves in amongst the crowd.

Comment

• Tallkook, I ride a 5'10" Which I reckon is as big as u wanna go!

Ive just had my best summer of surfs for a long time thanks to the spud, the 5'10" does give you the joy in the small stuff & can still hold its own when the swell picks up a bit!

I also demoed a 5'8" & found my wave count overall was not as good as with the 5'10".

I was originally 91kg when I was in the market for a spud & had my eye on the 6' as well but if you look back on the old forum the overwhelming tide of opinion was go at least one size smaller than you think!

The old forum is littered with threads of guys who bought to big & then downsized to get the full benefit of that crazy shape!

Again as always, stick one under your are (if you can get it around the 6') & go for a demo!

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions surfgumby and Iggy!

Comment

• Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                        Btw indo, have you been having fun with the hard core crew on surfer mag?
                        Pete. (wink, wink).
                        Missed this....ha ha..yes that was me :D

Comment

• Suncoastslop picked a hell of a time to:
                          A. Register on the forum with his handle.
                          B. Pick a sweet potato as an allrounder for the Sunshine coast.
                          C. Get injured and miss the last swell and for all I know miss this one as well.
                          Are you out there Suncoastslop?
                          The best Autumn and early winter of waves for the poor old Sunshine coast in how long?
                          Cuttle, just saw your post
                          A. I think the handle has done the trick, if it was "suncoastonfire" it would have been flat and blown out ever since, so you blokes owe me
                          b. sweet p as an allrounder may have worked if i hadn't used the handle,,,,see above
                          c. 2 1/2 awesome swells later and 8 weeks is the count, dam it.

Interestingly you have backed up my thoughts, in the time i have had on it, i have found the 5'8 a struggle to perform in the surf i bought it for
                          0-2 " But in 2-4 " it really performs, it s just a shame when it gets a little bigger or suckier the sweet p is let down by its rounded flat nose, not wanting to take the later drops, this is where i guess the potatonator comes in yeah? i will be waiting to hear your reports on how the larger version goes.

should be back in the water shorltly. with more reports

suncoast

Comment

• The potatonator is far from a hspb but it suits me just fine.
                            The v under that narrower (compared to spud) dom nose really helps stick later drops easily.
                            In all the you tube shop reviews no one ever mentions the V.
                            It's good conditions for the spud atm....ie crap.
                            My 5'8" is great when it's about 2' and up but sans crowd. That's why I'm grabbing a 5'10" as well. The 6'er I started with was a good wave catcher for the crowded but sizier conditions. The corner and Bluff at Alex are ideal spud and potatonator waves.
                            When I surfed the 5'10" (of Al Hing's - Beachbeat) at 1' corner the other afternoon I was catching waves so easily and it was so much fun (Indo controller make a huge difference) that I knew I needed to up-size.
                            You're not missing much atm anyway.
                            But, by God, those back to back swells were amazing.

Comment

• ha! good stuff cuttle. I haven't ridden the controllers in that one but I need to try for sure....

Comment

• This is the thread im talking about in Forum ideas, there is some gold in this thread regarding info on fins for Sweet potato :D

Comment

Working...
                                X