X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't decide on size

I have read a lot of posts here and I still can't decide on size. I am about 200 lbs, 42 years old, surf south Orange County, but want a board that I can take out to San Onofre and Church when my buddies want to be lazy and ride long boards. I HATE long boards so I am looking for something smaller that can still catch waves early and have fun with. I have pretty short arms and am not in super great shape, typically get out 1-2 times a week, depending on conditions and work. I was at first going to just go for the 6'4" based on the volume and where I would be taking this board, but a buddy of mine is telling me that will be way to big and I won't beable to surf rail to rail at all based on the volume. I am not a really aggressive or vertical surfer so fishy type boards work well for me. I am sure I could get away with a 5'8" or 5'10" at Upper or Lower Trestles where everyone else is riding short, but for a longboard spot, will this thing get me into waves super early like a long board? Something tells me that a long board with similar volume will still have a huge advantage based on the planing surface area, is that right?

Here is a list of My current boards so you get an idea what I have and how much volume I am use to:

6'3" Griffin 5 fin ModFish (really fun and great backside board, but if you put a slight bit of too much pressure on front, pearl city, my #2 board)
    6'4" Gary Hanel Quad Fish (tons of volume, really fast and fun, but it is very heavy which limits my turning ability on face)
    6'5" Stretch F4 quad-epoxy (probably my favorite board right now, super fast, easier to catch waves than one would think based on dems, my go to)
    6'6" Merrick Red Beauty (I thought this would be my favorite, but I love my stretch so much more, I am selling it, just doesn't suit me for some reason)
    6'7" Merrick Flyer (Its a good step up board, but still not my favorite, guess I prefer speed of the quads?)
    6'10" Retro Twin Fish (I thought this would be the board to take to long board spots, but it is really boring, sucks backside, just really not a fan)
    7'9" Infinity Secret Weapon quad-epoxy (was hoping this would be a good a good alternative to 9'+ longboard, and it is, but it still just has way to much volume and weight.
    9' long board tri-fin (hate longboards, for sale)

My motto for this board is to try and get on waves as early as I can, but I am still not sure I can battle the longboarders out there.

Thoughts?

what are you thoughts on the potato and/or the potatonator? I know a few guys who love their potatoes even as the surf improves in that area of town. I think the potatonator is a great option too, but you will ride it a little bit longer...

Cheers

Comment

Even the Dominator could be an interesting choice for what you are describing

Comment

I'm 49, 210 lbs and 6'1" and I ride a 6' sweet potato.
        I haven't had it all that long but the first couple of surfs on it were at Byron Bay which is a super popular longboard wave.
        The best board to catch waves like a longboard is....drum roll....a longboard.
        Anywhere that longboarders can sit further out than you they will be able to paddle onto waves before you and there's no way around it.
        Look at your current quiver...have any of them got the job done?
        Don't expect a sweet potato to catch waves any easier than what you have already.
        That's the bad news.
        The good news is, a sweet potato once it catches waves, will blow your mind.
        I see how you're saying : the mod fish bogs, Hanel is heavy and doesn't turn, retro fish is boring and sucks backside.
        The sweet potato is crazy fast, can do eye watering cutbacks and is a hoot to ride both forehand and backside with it's lightweight eps construction giving you fast reactions to rider input regardless of it's width/thickness.
        Even if you go too large they still go.
        A 5'6" is more than likely what everyone will recommend. A 5'8" would be fine too.
        In smaller, gutless waves I am coming around to the inclination to keep your volume within the popular sizes as opposed to going larger for paddle power.
        It seems a floatier potato will leave you above the waves energy passing below. On say, your Hanel, it will be able to paddle into waves well due to weight and therefore momentum but that weight also means a slower reacting board so it will be better in a larger wave.
        I've been riding my 6'er in 3-4' high tide waves (esp points) and having a blast because the board is paddling in really well in those size waves.
        I'm actually thinking about a 5'8" for the small stuff so more of the board and my body is is in the water to allow me to harness the waves energy when paddling into it.
        Last edited by cuttlefish; 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, i think I am leaning towards a 5'10" then, still a lot of volume but should be workable? Then maybe an ADDVance in a 7'6" length to battle the longboards at those spots.

Now I just need to figure if I go FST or not?

Comment

Just ordered a 5'10" rapidfire (couldn't pass up the killer bamboo deck) with FCS. Was not sure whether to go FCS or Futures, then I went and looked at my boards. All of them except my Flyer are FCs, not only that but of the FCs fins I already have a set of Stretch F4 (since I already have an F4 board) and a set of Mark Richard TFX (on my hanel fish), I also have FCS plugs in my Griffin Modfish with his hand foiled G10 fins. The rear fin looks a lot like the Future controller fin, would be really interesting to see how these Griffin fins work on the potato, some people absolutely sware by them. Looks like I have at least 3 sets of fins to play with and get this thing dialed in.

Comment

barney go Dominator, Churches can be a really fun wave on the WNW swells, and Old Mans on a SW. While I have not ridden the Potatonator, or the baked potato you may consider those also.

Comment

Yeah, San-O on anything but a log is pretty tough, just soooooo slow. I like your theory though, and am thinking along similar lines, looking for a step-down for those not so shralpy days, something that goes when weak but will snap if there is a pocket. Really curious about the differences between the BT and the SP.

Comment

I like what I hear about the Sweet Potato, I am so confused about size. I'm 6'2", 235! Im leaning towards the 602 SP but how low could I go and still get the max float.

Comment

Hey Chris,
                    Im 235 6'2", what size sweet potato do you thing would work to catch tons of waves and still be able to kick around in small surf?
                    Thanks

Comment

DEfinitely the extra length and volume of the 6'2" will be good for wave catching, but once on it might be a bit too much foam
                      6'0" is a safe compromise in my opinion and will still float you plenty. It all depends on your ability,local break and what do you want to get out of the board

Comment

I am now on a 5,8" and it has proved to be the right size. If I was you I would go for a sixer.

Comment

Beach break, average to competent surfer, and I want to catch more waves than everyone else. I am scared it will be to much volume once up and riding......whats your height weight and ability?
                          Thanks Iggy

Comment

Cuttlefish, whats your weight height and ability? The 600 is what you think I need?

Comment

hey trocket,
                              we have a guy here in the office who prefers the 600 who is about your weight but he surfs a lot and tends to ride less crowded surf and shortboard when the surf is good.

Based on that, I would say that you could go 600 and be happy with it but it may not grab you as many waves as the 602. keep in mind, that you maximize float by going bigger, but you reduce float and improve performance by going smaller. I think you could be happy on either, you just want to weigh the pros and cons on a personal level and make the call.

I would say if you are scared of too much volume, go 600 and don't think about it.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X