Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato Diamond or Chop Tail

Hi all

Probably gonna get flammed for this but seeing my Sweet P has been, snapped, chopped and dinged galore over the last 14 months of use, I was interested in hacking about 2 inches off or even cutting it into a diamond tail from just behind the tail pad to the middle of the board. I was thinking perhaps it might make it turn better or but more curious of how it would go.

Ive seen Dane do it to his boards (helps win your probably the sickest surfer at the mo with unlimited boards from CI). Only problem I have is the bamboo deck, and how I would reglass it? See link below

http://vimeo.com/22313860

The board is on its last legs anyway, so its worth a true hey :)

ps - I already have a Backed Jacket Potato on order haha

Ive done it to a Spitfire. Obviously not recommended, but it's not too hard. Not sure what affect it'd have on the performance of the SP though...

Comment

I guess it would shorten the rail line a bit just wanted to take some volume out of the tail.

So has it improved the performance of the SF?

Comment

It's changed it, I wouldn't go as far as improved, but it's a lot of fun.
        Not sure about doing it to a SweetP though. That constant curve is probably a big part of the design.

Comment

Yeah like all board dynamics but I'm interested in what a little hack can do. Like I said the board has been snapped and bashed to hell.

I've actually had a snapped longboard and rode the back half after I glassed nose. Paddled ok but was a bit sketchy on hollow waves with step take offs.

Guys like Tyler Warren seem to be making lots of weird boards these days. I guess it's good cause surfing a short board would get boring haha

Its time to lay it to rest after I chop it :)

Comment

Could be quite mini simmons esque

Comment

Originally posted by jon_bro View Post
              Hi all

Probably gonna get flammed for this but seeing my Sweet P has been, snapped, chopped and dinged galore over the last 14 months of use, I was interested in hacking about 2 inches off or even cutting it into a diamond tail from just behind the tail pad to the middle of the board. I was thinking perhaps it might make it turn better or but more curious of how it would go.

Ive seen Dane do it to his boards (helps win your probably the sickest surfer at the mo with unlimited boards from CI). Only problem I have is the bamboo deck, and how I would reglass it? See link below

http://vimeo.com/22313860

The board is on its last legs anyway, so its worth a true hey :)

ps - I already have a Backed Jacket Potato on order haha
              Link is broken

Comment

Link works, but doesn't show up on a phone.

I think Dane finds surfing too easy so he has to make things harder for himself to keep it interesting...

Comment

Naaa I'm on my mac now

Comment

Hmm showing up for me????

Comment

Yeah it would be more mini Simmons like. Its all about having fun :)

So why did you chop the tail on the SF? Since doing this, do you find it easier or harder to: bottom turn, release off the top, plane on flat sections easier, catch less rails on landing airs?

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                        Hmm showing up for me????
                        jajajaja nope, just a mac devotee!!!!;)

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                          jajajaja nope, just a mac devotee!!!!;)
                          Ha no I meant the link was working for me! I'm on mac to for the record :D

Jon, I am not sure why I chopped the Spitfire off. The corner of the diamond was knocked and cracked and my repair wasn't as sharp as the original and I fancied experimenting.

I find the cut off tail accelerates more quickly on take offs and releases and slides very easily off the top. I found with the K2.1 set it was easy to slide round into a reverse off the top, too easy in fact so I started running K3s to get a bit more grip. Good fun though.
                          I wouldn't say it affected the planing of the board or anything like that, still feels good coming off the bottom. I need to take it out again soon, I always take my Sub out now when it's smaller.

Comment

Working...
                          X