Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bloody hell, just crooked my neck!

Comment

You must be taking those pictures on an iphone. Happens all the time.

Comment

jajaaja

Comment

Good post cuttles, quite a dilema you have. I think you nailed a couple of good points 1) the spud is a niche board not an allrounder 2)having demoed a 5'8 and 5'10 i agree the potatonator is more versatile. Perhaps the 5'8 spud (or mini simmons) could be a niche board in the niche section of your expansive quiver to be used when you feel 100% and feel the need to go short, fast and loose. Personally, i feel there is always room for such a board. There is nothing like catching a great shaped decent size wave on such craft.

As you are taking the 5'8 out in decent hollow waves this would indicate that you have fully dialed in the spud for mine, your only question is.....do you have room in the garage for another board? Perhaps firewire can send you a "demo" sticker so that your beautiful wife would be none the wiser......or just keep it in a board bag.

I would keep the 6 ft spud because from our conversations it serves the purpose that you bought it for, so the 5"8 would be the "blast" the "i cant believe i can ride this board in these waves" board. Sounds like you would need to do short sharp sessions on it though, like 45 mins then switch the a longer board or visa versa.

As you know, i never leave home without mine and jump on it for the end of most sessions regardless:)

Comment

Cuttlefish, you may have answered this elsewhere, but I just noticed you mention you have previously had a 6'6" Addvance?
            How would you compare your 6' Potato to the 6'6" Addvance?

In my mind they seem very similar - a) obviously they are very close in volume b) whilst the Potato has a shorter rail line, it also has much more volume in the larger tail. The Addvance seems to be the opposite, smaller tail to help turns, but volume everywhere else!

I am looking to build a simple 2 board quiver. I have a 6'2" Dominator for everything over waist high, but cant decide between a Sweet Potato or an Addvance for a small wave groveller (essentailly as a longboard replacement).

I'm thinking that the Addvance would be a better allrounder for really little stuff, and probably would be a better paddler than the POtato with similar performance potential?
            I'd be interested to hear your feedback as someone that has owned both?

Comment

Short, sharp sessions and anti-inflammatories!
              Good stuff.

Comment

Update.
                Pulled up ok today so the deed has been done and the 5'8" has replaced the 6'er.
                Now I've got that sorted it's time to get back on the p'nator and assasinate some small waves again.

Comment

!!!

Comment

The 5"8

Wow cuttles, you certainly dont fluff around! I think that you will have a lot fun on the peaky beach break days.....keep off the points with it tho or it ll be on evil bay shortly

Look forward to the ride reports

Comment

fst or rapid fire cuttle?

Comment

Yep...no mucking around.
                        Don't worry JaM, it'll be ok at high tide Alex (could well be the fattest point on the East coast) when it's 2-4'.
                        Suncoast I went FST as my 6'er was fst so the swap was for the same construction and the financials were very do-able.
                        I'm hard enough on my decks that I'll always choose fst if I can.
                        After the fun I had on the 5'8" Tuesday there was no turning back.
                        Now I can start mucking around with fins to see if I can get a better combo than the Stretches (best so far) and I want to try the carbon twins with GXQ's in smaller waves.
                        Hey Buzzy, how's those Indo controllers working out for you?
                        Do you think they are well made, foiled and with a good flex pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by damo666 View Post
                          Cuttlefish, you may have answered this elsewhere, but I just noticed you mention you have previously had a 6'6" Addvance?
                          How would you compare your 6' Potato to the 6'6" Addvance?

In my mind they seem very similar - a) obviously they are very close in volume b) whilst the Potato has a shorter rail line, it also has much more volume in the larger tail. The Addvance seems to be the opposite, smaller tail to help turns, but volume everywhere else!

I am looking to build a simple 2 board quiver. I have a 6'2" Dominator for everything over waist high, but cant decide between a Sweet Potato or an Addvance for a small wave groveller (essentailly as a longboard replacement).

I'm thinking that the Addvance would be a better allrounder for really little stuff, and probably would be a better paddler than the POtato with similar performance potential?
                          I'd be interested to hear your feedback as someone that has owned both?
                          Two very different animals.
                          Think of the Addvance as having a fish ancestory and the sweet potato having a mini-simmons ancestory.
                          I say ancestory as they are both developments of these types of boards.
                          The Addvance has the planing area more forward and the potato has it in the mid right through to tail .
                          You'll find that the Addvance will paddle better by virtue of it's length (even though it has more rocker) so you'd be able to paddle into waves earlier than on a similarly volumed sweet potato and if you're used to paddling a 6'2" dom a 6' sweet potato would have you feel like you're bobbing around on a cork.
                          Even myself at 92kgs plus I felt like I was floating too high in the water to easily get into small waves on the 6' potato.
                          When the waves had grunt it was no issue though.
                          So if you're going to choose a sweet potato you'd want to run with the recommended size for your weight and experience level.
                          The potato will then be a board that feels like a loose bar of soap and you'll find yourself enjoying the zap all over the wave feel and it will skim across dead sections in a wave.
                          The addvance would need to be appropriately sized upwards in that if I was going to use an addvance as a longboard replacement for smaller waves I'd be looking at a 6'10"-7'2" for my weight/experience to get the full benefit of combined length and planing area.
                          The addvance won't have you zooming around on the wave like the potato but it will build momentum and fly through sections all the same with carves thrown in at will.
                          The addvance will be a much more forgiving ride but still eminently chuckable because of its light eps/rapidfire construction despite it's volume.
                          It depends upon whether you aim to zap around on a gutless wave like even your dom won't quite allow or glide like a longboarder and throw a snap at will.
                          One zapper and one cruiser with bite.
                          Hope this helps.

Comment

To be honest so far I'm not a huge fan. I'm no fin expert but their construction seems fine. They're just too big on the Dom in soft waves, and in waves with push I prefer to use a thruster set up. Mind you, this is a judgement after 2 surfs, but I'm just not in a rush to whack them in again. I'll hang on to them though and if I get an SP they'll probably be better suited. Maybe a 5'8" FST SP in FCS will be a summer Xmas present to myself!

Comment

Cuttlefish,

I think you've got me convinced. I'm going to down size from 5'10" to 5'6". The 5'10" is great in head high waves, but feels heavy and lethargic in what I bought it for... 1-3 foot slop. I rode a 5'8" in head high surf, and I remember it having that "loose bar of soap" feel. I think the 5'10" is missing that due to it being too big for my 88.5 KG frame.

Have you tried your 5'8" in any head high surf yet? That's the only thing that's holding me back is I'd like to keep the SP as my 1-6 foot board. I imagine sturdier fins than SF-4's may work to calm the smaller board down when the swell gets bigger.

I'm on the Gulf coast of Texas, so the waves here tend to not have much power even when a good swell hits. Here's a link of a "good" day around here for reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0zECol8Bw
                              Last edited by A.Vern; 04-26-2012, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Hi A.Vern,
                                The first day I rode the 5'8" was in juicey 4-5' point waves.
                                I put carbon twin fins which are discontinued now (like MR tfx) with M5 performance cores as trailers and I'd have to think a long way back to remember when I've gone faster on a surfboard in those sized waves.
                                Still had control but the first 4' wave was a fast down the line one so I wasn't trying any kind of cutbacks.
                                Next wave was almost as intense. The looseness of the spud made it a lot of fun.
                                Had to go in next wave due to waiting commitments but I was already pretty much sold on the 5'8" after those two waves.
                                I'd ridden the 6'er in those sized waves during the same swell (we had a swell soaked week) and the sf4's were fine in the juicier waves but the extra rail line helped for sure.
                                The shorter board will just up the intensity of the sensations.
                                Let us all know how you go.

Comment

Working...
                                X