X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato Review 5'6" RF

So I took my SP out for the first time today and I must say that thing is so fast. My first wave I caught it and had a great time on it cutting back and doing all sorts of skatey fun stuff. The next couple waves I tried to see how mushy of a wave I could take on the SP and it does need some push, at least something that breaks to go. I gave it the full run through, lefts, rights, bigger sets and so on and so forth. I had one wave I was going so fast it threw me off like a bull, it was crazy. Another wave I made a section there is not way I would have made with any other board, I could not believe I made it and just kept going. One of my last waves I was going to take off on a set wave and decided not to go, but because the thing was so buoyant it took off and I belly boarded it, so funny! I felt like such a nube!

I think I need bigger fins as I was using M7's up front G-1000's out back. I am going MRTX fins up front and leaving the back.

Feel free to recommend something to me as I am open to recommendations!

Yeah she's quite a little devil

Comment

Ill say, very challenging and I know I will have lots of fun just gotta figure it out.

Comment

What made you go with a 5'6" over a 5'8"? Did you try the bigger board? I have been looking at a spud for a while, and started off thinking 5'10", then the 5'8", but lately Ive been wondering if the 5'6" might be worth a look.

Comment

Gnubee the 5'6" will have plenty of flotation for you, what you have to think here is how comfortable you would feel riding a board at that size. I'm 85Kgs and the 5'2" has the flotation I need. I think you'll be pretty happy with the 5'6". What's the shortest board you've ever ridden?

Comment

I was going to get the 5'6" and then I kept reading about people who got one size too big and would have to sell it and get a smaller size. I went with the 5'6" because it is bigger than my DOM and I know I could ride a 6'0 DOM and be fine. It is different like people are saying, although I kind of liked the challenge of a different board.

Just read your signature Gnubee and you may want to try the 5'8" as it might be the best size for you at 6'6" 195. I think I would go for the 5'8".

Comment

Yo Hwork,
              I think you should try the SF4s unless you really like the more retro twinny feel. To me, that board is better with an upright quad set because its really a board designed to demolish weak and gutless surf. this type of fin will give you a little more flexibility to pump and also get loose. That's my take anyways. Obviously fins are really subjective so what I suggest, may not be ideal for you, but still, its fin of choice in that board.

cheers all

Comment

Took the SP out tonight for a with the MRTX and the G-1000's in the back. The board went really well and was very fast, I am so glad that I got a 5'6" and I cannot wait to see how this thing goes tomorrow for surf #3. Tonight was 2-3 foot really fun beach break, would have been amazing for a 6'0" Spitfire. Not sure how I like the SP in a faster beach break type of wave as I caught plenty of waves although still getting used to riding it.

Comment

stoked!

Comment

Am I trying to make this thing work in fast racy beach breaks, as I am not sure it is suited for that. I surfed it again yesterday in 2-3 foot almost close out surf. It was fun trying to make it work, but I think I could have ridden a different board. I think the Potato would do well on slower 1-2 foot surf, with little power behind it. Anything with speed or power I would go DOM or Hellfire. What do you think Chris?

What kind of wave was the SP designed for specifically?

Comment

Just had a great surf on my SP, had the MRTX fins in the back and the G-X trailers. So fun, felt like I could go anywhere. Going for it again tomorrow. Whooooo! The guy next to me got like 3 waves to my 10-12 waves. Amazing what a little fin tweak will do.

Comment

Working...
                      X