X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Another Size Question

Sorry guys, I've been reading all the SP threads and still can't really decide what size to get so here goes....
    5'9, 175 dry, 51, intermediate and I surf at Upper Trestles. I'm currently surfing a 5'10 Dom.
    I'd like to get a SP for the speed and the paddle when it's below head high. The Calculator said to get something at 38L which would put me on the 5'6 SP. Now, honestly, I'm not getting any younger and I'm only surfing once a week. I take off pretty late on the Dom and I'm not winning to many paddle battles anymore with the youngsters.... I like to surf top to bottom when I manage to take off in the right spot and grab a wall.
    Thoughts?

Waxer,

I've ridden the 6'2", 5'10" and 5'8". I weigh in at 195 lbs, 6 feet tall and 36 YO. The 6'2" was big, but rode well in overhead surf. The 5'8" felt really loose, but paddled me just fine into smaller waves. It had a really nervous feeling at speed, but handled well on the rail. The 5'10" paddles in well, but really not all that much better than the 5'8". In head high surf the 5'10" has been great, but if you go too big like I did, I think you lose the magic of the potato, and that's being able to manuever well in small surf. The 5'10" does OK in below 3 feet, but I have to think out my maneuvers. From the experience I had on the 5'8", I think it would of been the better board to fully open up the potential of the SP.

With that said, don't be afraid to go small. There's still plenty of foam in these smaller SP's, and you want to be able to move the board around. I think the 5'6" would work for you, as there are younger guys your size riding on the 5'2" and 5'4"s. The 5'6" would still give you the float you want, but be more manageable to turn.

All the posts I've seen on here are guys like me that bought too big and had to downsize.

Good luck, and once you figure out a size.... have fun trying to figure out rapid fire vs FST and FCS vs Futures ;)

Comment

Vern, Thanks for the info. Everyone I've talked to said the FST is the way to go. I'm riding the FST on my 5'10 Dom with Future fins.
      I'm using the Simon Anderson Quads which give me lots of drive. Way more than the Stretch quads do. Of course the Rip Curl shop in San Clemente doesn't have the FST version in a 5'6 so I guess I'm going to have to order one... I just wonder if I should get the 5'4 or the 5'6....again I'm not getting any younger... My kid threatens to by me a longboard every time we surf together and watches me get out paddled for another wave!

Comment

Well I don't know if the potato will paddle easier than the dominator at this stage. What's your surfing like? Are you looking for wave count or performance?
        I know this is going on the opposite direction but have you had the chance to take a look at the Addvance?? that board will win you many paddle battles.
        If you wanna stick with the potato and want that extra, I might be looking to the 5'8". You'll be sacrificing performance for wave catch ability but at the end it all depends on what are looking for, specially if you are only surfing once a week

Comment

If the 5'8 will catch more waves yet still handle better than a 6'6 Addvance or somewhat close to a my 5'10 Dom. than that might be the way to go. Will a 5'8 SP still surf top to bottom? at 175 pounds?

Comment

hey Waxer, its got a lot of surface area so its going to be a little difficult to really crank hard off the bottom then off the top. at your weight you would want to go smaller than 508 if aggressive performance is your goal...

Comment

Agreed there Chris, it all depends what's your surf like

Comment

Originally posted by Waxer View Post
                Sorry guys, I've been reading all the SP threads and still can't really decide what size to get so here goes....
                5'9, 175 dry, 51, intermediate and I surf at Upper Trestles. I'm currently surfing a 5'10 Dom.
                I'd like to get a SP for the speed and the paddle when it's below head high. The Calculator said to get something at 38L which would put me on the 5'6 SP. Now, honestly, I'm not getting any younger and I'm only surfing once a week. I take off pretty late on the Dom and I'm not winning to many paddle battles anymore with the youngsters.... I like to surf top to bottom when I manage to take off in the right spot and grab a wall.
                Thoughts?
                Forget about a sweet potato!
                If you aren't winning many paddle battles on a 5'10" dom and want to still go fast and vertical then buy a 6'6" Addvance.
                Go back to the old forum and read Nev's thread on the Addvance (sticky on page 1).
                Then go catch a swag of waves...rip em up...and come back on here and thank us. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                  Forget about a sweet potato!
                  If you aren't winning many paddle battles on a 5'10" dom and want to still go fast and vertical then buy a 6'6" Addvance.
                  Go back to the old forum and read Nev's thread on the Addvance (sticky on page 1).
                  Then go catch a swag of waves...rip em up...and come back on here and thank us. :-)
                  Good advice, but what about a 6 ft potatonator? They have plenty of volume, go top to bottom and would feel comfortable given their genetics (70% dom)

Comment

Well...yes!
                    Would work as well but maybe the difference won't be enough.
                    I've surfed trestles and the p'nator would go great out there.
                    I just reckon a sweet potato is barking up the wrong tree.
                    Apparently there's a demo day coming up on Sat 28th April at trestles (near Carl Jrs) 8am-1pm

Comment

Have you seen today's date Pete? :D

Comment

Sure, but I know we are a day ahead in Australia to the US.
                        So today (Sun 29th) is still Sat the 28th there.
                        Well I hope it is.

Comment

That's true... I think because im in the middle it makes it confusing. I think of you being 10 ahead and them about the same behind but don't think of the full 20 between the two.

Comment

jajajaja getting global here!!!!. Logistics!!! it's all about logistics

Comment

I picked up a 5'6 fst SP with Future fins yesterday at the rip curl store in San Clemente. The guys there were nice enough to order me one. I'm using the SA4 Simon Anderson fins that I used on my Dom.
                              I took it out in 1-3 foot messy wind slop at Upper Trestles late yesterday. I'm 51, 5'10, 168 and an intermediate surfer. So here's my impressions. The paddle power is great. I can duck dive the board no problem. Once I figured out the best way to pop up on such a small board without bogging, I caught every wave I tried for. This is just what I wanted it for. I've never been able to catch small waves on a regular shortboard. Once I stood up, watch out because with my weight on the rear foot, the board just takes off!!!. It's really fast... It took me a few waves to catch up to the speed. In fact I need another few days to really dial this board in it's so fast. If you lean back to far, the board just starts flying and the next thing you know, you're on your butt! I've never had a board take off like that and I've ridden a lot of quads that were supposed to be fast but they always needed waves with a lot of push. If anyone wants a board who is older or you're not in great shape so you're not getting into waves or not making sections because the board isn't fast enough, THIS IS THE BOARD FOR YOU! If your surf spot has a slower wave without much push behind it, THIS IS The Board for you. I can't even imagine how fast this board will be in waist to chest high surf. I did manage to grab a couple of decent waves with shape and the board went on rail and felt great. It held and just kept picking up speed. I can't wait to get back in the water on a cleaner day!

Comment

Working...
                              X