Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an honest opinion

Hey guys.

I am contemplating purchasing a sweet potato/baked potato. The shapes look amazing!

However, I am concerned about the firewire technology. I have heard about horror stories with these boards snapping under very strange circumstance, like duckdiving a small wave, by multiple people.

I would appreciate if someone/anyone could watch this video, read the comments for further info regarding these potential problems, and comment here about how the technology performs.

This is a big investment for me and I want it to last a long time. These boards look amazing but I have fear about the technology from these stories. I understand boards break but these stories seem to break in strange ways and are consistent enough to make me consider going the tried and true PU route.

So please, help is needed and I'd appreciate honest comments.

Thanks. I hope this works out and I hop on a potato soon.

I don't see a video there but I own 2 firewire boards, having had one for probably 3 years now and the other for around 9 months, and I haven't had any problems with them. The only "issue" I have had is when my knee cracked the deck of one board, which I repaired pretty much like you'd repair any board, and it's been fine since.

I like the boards well enough I have a third on order, and if my local shaper did his boards in epoxy I'd order my boards from him in that tech as well.

Comment

I've had four now and not one single issue at all.
      Nesurf have you heard the bad stories down at the local or read them here on the Firewire forum?
      I'm guessing you may have seen comments here on the forum and it is an easy perception to take when all the complaints are in the same place - where else can you see the good the bad and the ugly? (at least Firewire are putting themselves in the firing line)
      Add up the complaints here and then add up all the good things said here about Firewire.
      Add up all the snapped boards and then add up all the Firewires sold and I think you'll find the % ratio very low for the negative

I'll put it to you this way....If I ever snap my Firewire, I'll go get another one - the stoke this tech has given me far outweighs the cost

So get out there and grab one nesurf - cause at the moment you're missing out!
      Last edited by Goanna; 05-17-2012, 05:10 AM.

Comment

My bad, I totally forgot the link. Here it is for the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjsYcZqykA

That helps a lot, thanks. But yes, I have heard the complaints only in online forums, including firewire's (which I give huge respect for not policing and taking negative comments down). My local shop praises them and the guys there seem to be using the boards as well.

Again, the shapes look awesome and I am demoing one tomorrow am. My only concern is I'm quite broke and I want this investment to last 5+ years. I don't expect a ding proof board or anything like that but I've just heard about snappings and delams that make me nervous.

From what I can gather, the snappings appear to happen more frequently with the old FST boards with valves on them. I cannot gather whether the delams occur with FST rapidfire or any other specific technology, however I have heard the rapidfire bamboo layer soaks up water quickly if theres a ding. My concern is if I get a ding mid-session that I don't notice, I don't want my board to soak up water and get ruined from one ding.

Have to run, but any thoughts?

Also, Sweet potato/baked potato vs Dwart... any comments?

Comment

I've only had the Sweet Potato and it is an fun, fun board - you will be giggling like a maniac after some sessions on this board - or is that just me?
          I haven't ridden the Baked Pot but I'm confident in saying you'll get the same level of delirium.

Nesurf I think you are worrying a bit too much - your concerns are understandable but if the wave is going to snap a Firewire, it was going to snap the PU as well.
          Think positive thoughts my friend, save your pennies and you will reap the rewards - my mates and I all ride Firewires and agree that they will add 20% more enjoyment to all aspects of your surfing.

The strongest advice I can give you is to demo and then demo some more until you know what one works best for you - and then the rest will be history!

Comment

All boards can snap and a PU board is more likely to do so.

Good luck with the decision making!

Comment

Hmmm, I own 3 firewires and on to a fourth, no complaints here and I have dinged at least two of them and I repaired them. That guy in the video may have an honest complaint in his eyes, however, lets break it down, he surfed it for 6 months , hmmm maybe he stressed the board unknowingly in one of those 6 month sessions? Geesh he must have been an Angel from Heaven with Tender loving care to that board for 6 months, never duck dove it, pushed its limits or anything , then he broke it on a 3 foot day duck diving. So for over 6 months he never had a problem with the board? Sounds alot like there was already a fracture occuring he was unaware of and it finally snapped that day. A board can only take so much stress, PU and or EPS. I dont know him or his surf adventures, but I have personally snapped a PU board on a three foot day duck diving. I repaired the broken board and broke it another 2 times until it finally broke in another spot, stripping the glass clean off.. Its now retired forever. It was a Local Motion Rawson, which I loved. BUT, Did I call Rawson and bitch at him for his glassing job. Hell no, Did I call Local motion for the glassing job and complain that it should have lasted longer?.. Hell No. Is the Guy in the video expecting a little too much after surfing the board for 6 months ???. you be the judge.. I would have more empathy for him if it were the first go out, but he has had plenty of sessions to weaken the structure of the board unknowingly.

nesurf, are you honestly expecting any board to last 5 years? THEN, (sarcasm) you better get one with a triple 1/4 inch stringer, 12 ounces of glass on each side and a 12 ounce patch and glass in fins, and just forget any EPS or standard off the shelf PU board. forget light or super light PU blanks and 1.5 pound EPS foam. Do you want to surf? or just hang the board on the wall and watch it get yellow? Sorry for the (SARCASM) , but truly expecting a board to last 5 years is not realistic if you surf frequently. Your lucky if it (any board) lasts a year and breaks in half in the right spot so you can repair it on your own in your home backyard.

You may want to stick with FST if Rapidfire worries you. The new FST are valveless.. Good luck...
              Attachment
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Fritzkat; 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

NESURF - My brother and I have had many different firewire boards over the last few years, we've surfed them in triple over head in ireland and didnt have any issues, I find the FST construction more resilient compared a standard light performance glass job. The sweet potato is short fat and wide and you will be hard pushed to snap one. We managed to snap a 6'0 dominator in just overhead (3ft) heavy beachbreak, boards do break even the firewire boards, but not all boards feel as good as the firewire boards. Get a board look after it, treat it like a ming vase on land, in the water try to destroy it, and rock on.

Comment

Originally posted by nesurf View Post
                  My bad, I totally forgot the link. Here it is for the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjsYcZqykA

That helps a lot, thanks. But yes, I have heard the complaints only in online forums, including firewire's (which I give huge respect for not policing and taking negative comments down). My local shop praises them and the guys there seem to be using the boards as well.

Again, the shapes look awesome and I am demoing one tomorrow am. My only concern is I'm quite broke and I want this investment to last 5+ years. I don't expect a ding proof board or anything like that but I've just heard about snappings and delams that make me nervous.

From what I can gather, the snappings appear to happen more frequently with the old FST boards with valves on them. I cannot gather whether the delams occur with FST rapidfire or any other specific technology, however I have heard the rapidfire bamboo layer soaks up water quickly if theres a ding. My concern is if I get a ding mid-session that I don't notice, I don't want my board to soak up water and get ruined from one ding.

Have to run, but any thoughts?

Also, Sweet potato/baked potato vs Dwart... any comments?
                  As he mention it in the video that is HIS PERSONAL OPINION.
                  Have owned 9 fire wires already ranging all models:from longboards to sweet potatoes and yet to experience anything negative with mines.
                  The issue with many people is that sometimes people is under the impression that the boards are indestructible and they tend to push their own limits and put the boards on situations where regular PU boards would have not stand a chance...repeatedly.
                  Be assure that you will be acquiring a highly engineered product backed up with the best customer service in the market

Comment

If you dry out any dings and repair them properly, that stops the core strength from becoming compromised and they'll last you a long time. I have FWs that are around two years old and still going great. I think if you look after your boards and don't put yourself into dodgy situations when surfing you could get that 5 years out of a FW.
                    If you like pushing your luck pulling into shallow, heavy closeout barrels and are a bit careless or reckless with your boards and don't take care of any knocks you pick up along the way then it's probable that you won't be getting those 5 years out of any board.

Comment

get one. i rec. them to my friends and family.. we are all on them now.. been on them for like 7 years i think.. lost track

Comment

Hi ne surfer, just joined this forum but have been riding FW for a couple of years now & have no regrets! I always get the fst tech & love the way it feels underfoot plus its seems heaps stronger than the pu boards I used to ride! I reckon you will be stocked by a fw board as long as you get the right size & volume, the fw team appear to actually care about their customers & take care of them if there is any untoward happenings with their product! Anyway, hope you bite the bullet, go for it & enjoy!

Comment

FireWire guy going on four years. Have 5 fw all in good shape. No problems here.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

I also thank firewire for having such an open response forum. It is impressive.

I took out a shops 5'8 sweet potato (way too big for me) but was in heaven. I was amazed at how well it performed and how loose it was. I am definitely sold on the design.

For those who have commented about having boards last 5 years is a pipe dream I do understand that the traditional surfer will break boards quite often. However, I surf in New Hampshire mostly in small (chest or under) soft waves and only weigh 145lbs. I also don't make it out for more than 30 sessions a year maybe. Therefore, I do expect to have a board last 5+ years as my PU board has lasted 8+ years with multiple dings and glassed fins and still rides fine.

I don't want to upset anyone and don't intend to have a negative connotation when saying this but I have done research and found delam problems that seem to be closely associated with the valve in FST. This was discovered through multiple forum readings etc. The cause of these delams is unknown and can only be speculated. However, it does appear to be a more prevalent problem with firewire technology than for traditional PU boards (admittedly, this is my own opinion through my personal research and is subject to debate). It also appears that Firewire was aware of some type of systemic issues regarding certain boards of the assembly line but, according to statements of others on forums, have corrected the issue through quality control.

Basically, I have come across statements that people have ridden their firewires for less than a year, some just at one month, and began to experience delams. Again, I do not want to upset anyone. I am just trying to inquire about the technology because I do not have much money to be throwing around.

I understand surfboards are delicate equipment and each person surfs differently under different conditions etc but from my experiences through research I have found enough documentation by other people to be concerned about delams and other potential structural issues. What I would greatly appreciate is if anyone can comment to this, and I would love to hear from a firewire representative if possible.

Thanks again to firewire for being so open. This is not meant to be an attack against you. Rather, I compliment and admire your actions at providing this forum and also would like to state that the sweet potato is one hell of a ride.

Thanks to all who replied and to those who will reply.

Comment

Working...
                            X