X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinions are Greatly Appreciated

I have surfed for quite a few years, and have owned many different boards. I don't pull off any tricks and just enjoy a nice long ride in the pocket, but I don't like lugging a longer board around either. I'm looking for something that'll have some of the float of my egg(42L) but doesn't have to be a super carver. Is the SP something that might work for me in a "longer" size, like 5'6"? I'm 5'7", 155lbs and an intermediate surfer. I've just come to the realization that I'll never make the ASP tour and just want to catch more waves and enjoy the ride.
    Thanks for the comments.

Try a Dominator 5'10 to 6'0. This board catches waves easy. I don't think you need anywhere near 42L of float but.

Comment

Actually with the potato, if you over size it you will be defeating the purpose of the board. The board was designed tO pack tons of volume in a very contained area.
      At your dims I would Go for a Dominator and not bigger than a 5'10". The dominator paddles like a breeze. I reckon you could be fine on a 5'8".

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
        Actually with the potato, if you over size it you will be defeating the purpose of the board. The board was designed tO pack tons of volume in a very contained area.
        At your dims I would Go for a Dominator and not bigger than a 5'10". The dominator paddles like a breeze. I reckon you could be fine on a 5'8".
        I actually think there are a couple ways to look at it.*

1. *Get a SP at a much shorter, but similar volume as your HPSB, and get maybe slight more wave count and better groveler based on width and rocker.*

Or

2. *Get a SP slightly shorter than your HPSB with more volume and catch a Ton more waves (up to shoulder high) compared to your SB, based on width, rocker AND volume.*

I fall into #2, my favorite SB to this point was a 6'5" stretch F4 quad with 33L. I ended up getting a 5'10" SP With 46.8L of volume. But I didn't get it to replace my stretch (actually, I bought a spit fire to do that), but I got if for much smaller mushy days and breaks or to battle spots where there are more guys riding longboards, fun boards and retro fish.*

It also depends on the break and crowds you normally surf. If you surf a punchy wave with a small crowd, you can scale waaaaay down (last time I checked, lowers, uppers and creek are very very rarely under crowded). If I had ideal conditions, I am sure many of us could easily scale down 4-6" on any board (or if I could lose 20 years and 10 pounds).*

Comment

The Sweet Potato is a niche board. If you get one, be prepared to ride something like no other. It requires an open mind and appreciation for drawing lines that you never could before. If you want a really friendly and functional surfboard in all conditions then I would agree with everybody else and get a Dominator (at the recommended dimensions). The thing just works.

Comment

Great Info guys. Thanks much.
            Think I'll start looking into the Dominator and give it a go. I'm not looking to replace boards, but I'd like to have something that is more of the "daily driver."
            Ill be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

yeah good call everyone! Dominator is definitely the one to take a longer look at!!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X