Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'0'' SP FCS Fin Advise Please

Hi Guys

I have recently purchased a 5'0'' SP to give me something a little bit different than my 5'8'' FST Sub Scorcher over the summer and was hoping you could help.

Having ridden it a few times, i am struggling to find any speed right out of the gate. The board feels like it is tracking/dragging a little until it really gets going, which is just so frustrating. I have heard so much good feedback about the board being loose and fast that i was really looking forward to getting it in the water, only to be left super disappointed.

Normally when i jump on a new board you can tell how its going to go straight away, but not this time. At the time i was really torn between the 5'4'' Potatonator and this one and i am starting to think i have made the wrong decision. Think i will get the PN anyway but really want this thing to work.

From looking through the threads i have seen that fin choices can play a big part in how the board preforms.

i was hoping that you could provide some feedback on FCS fin choices, i.e. what works and what doesn't.

Any opinions on the following would be good also;

Rainbow Fins Speed Dialer
    K2.1
    Indo Fins???

YOUR HELP IN NEEDED.

sf4s

Comment

I'd say work on your positioning on the board before you start messing too much with fins. The board really needs you to weight on your back foot and then it'll really fly. If you're surfing over the front you're going to be pushing water with that flat a rocker. I'm guessing you have the stock SF4s in there now? You shouldn't have any speed problems with them, but the Speed Dialers or Indo Fin Controllers will probably increase the drive a little at the expense of looseness. The K2.1 will ride fairly similar to the SF4s.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback PRJ.

I've had a little look through some other threads and it seems that, front foot orientated surfers generally struggle initially with the SP, and that would be. I do tend to drive and lead off my front foot as opposed to my back foot, so i guess that will also take some getting used to.

Yup, got the stock fins in there at the moment and far from pretty they are, must admit, i do like a decent set of fins!!!

Should be a few waves about this week to work on things so will let you know how i go. It would be nice to be able to feel some of the joy i hear this board brings!

Comment

I drive off my front foot too. Took me a bit of adjustment but once I got it right the board went insane. I was scratching my head to begin with too.

Comment

I have MR TRX fins in mine , they seem to go pretty good.

Comment

i am a major front footed surfer and the potato took some time for me too, but I do feel that I have dialed the board and gotten over those early wrinkles. I also would suggest you get after the SF4s as well as they will free up your board a little bit.

Also GLH what do you weigh?

Cheers!

Comment

The first thing I noticed about the SP was how fast it was off the mark , blew me away it felt like the board wanted to take off without me.
                Fins have been key for me to really dial this board in , getting the right amount of hold and release was my main goal to get the maximum out of the board.(as speed was never an issue with this board)
                My fin set up of choice is the Large Simon Andersons on the side with the H3 Nexus quads on the rear. They hold in great and release at the right moment, also the Rusty R2 quad set work great on my SP. I really like the K21s on my Dom but they do not work for me on the SP.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It would seem that in being front footed you are at a slight disadvantage in the early days of like with the SP.

Surfed some glassy chest, maybe shoulder (but i am 5'6'') waves at a south coast river mouth today and had a mixed bag of waves!!! A few of the heavy drops as it hit low tide i found myself nose diving and eating sand; a few waves the board blew up and was a joy; a few waves a found myself fighting to generating speed to make the next section; a few waves i struggled to glide through those flat sections into the next walling section;

To be honest, i came away unsure as to what had just happened. Had i been on the Sub or an El Fuego or Spitfire i would have had a ball, but not so much with the SP. Guess time will tell.

Think i will purchase some performance core SF4's tomorrow and give it another go, not going to right it off just yet.

Chris; i weight 155Lbs - Maybe 160lbs at the minute, just got married and put on a few pounds i think. 5'6'' Tall.

Hope i have sized this thing correctly!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It would seem that in being front footed you are at a slight disadvantage in the early days of like with the SP.

Surfed some glassy chest, maybe shoulder (but i am 5'6'') waves at a south coast river mouth today and had a mixed bag of waves!!! A few of the heavy drops as it hit low tide i found myself nose diving and eating sand; a few waves the board blew up and was a joy; a few waves a found myself fighting to generating speed to make the next section; a few waves i struggled to glide through those flat sections into the next walling section;

To be honest, i came away unsure as to what had just happened. Had i been on the Sub or an El Fuego or Spitfire i would have had a ball, but not so much with the SP. Guess time will tell.

Think i will purchase some performance core SF4's tomorrow and give it another go, not going to right it off just yet.

Chris; i weight 155Lbs - Maybe 160lbs at the minute, just got married and put on a few pounds i think. 5'6'' Tall.

Hope i have sized this thing correctly!!

Comment

Indo fins will give you the speed right from the paddle in when its smaller
                      SF4s when waves have more push.

Comment

And so.....

Another south coast surf at Bantham in the UK this morning (6am) on the SP and another hate filled surf!!!!!

The waves were a super fun chest to shoulder high and glassy, running down the banks and you guessed it, another shocker.............

At times the SP felt like it was drawing a nice line off the bottom and as i was eyeing up a little lip to go at, the board lost its rail and i ended up going almost backwards. At times when i felt i should have been effortlessly gliding down the line, i was not and a couple of times out of no where, it felt like i was actually surfing!!!!

I am not always quick to judge boards but you can normally tell and for me, this thing has one more chance and then its gone!

I find this so frustrating after reading all the good feedback.

Comment

Make a conscious effort to stand right over your back foot. Weight on the tail and lean back a touch. Try and get a couple on your backhand too. I found I clicked faster backhand than frontside.

It's a very different board though and it's not going to suit everyone.

Comment

You've said you have the stock fins in it.
                            What do you have in it since the board comes without fins?
                            I've used a stack of different fins and I found the SF4's to be good in waves with more power and have recently gotten some Indo "controller" copies which feel a lot freer and looser in the small stuff.
                            To be brutally honest though you need to look down at your feet next time you ride the board. If your back foot isn't right back just forward of the leash plug....it should be.
                            Then make sure you have a normal "width" stance and not a Poo man (stinkbug for those in the US) stance going on with your front foot way too far forward.
                            I see a lot of people surfing sweet potatoes in my area but most of them have no clue.
                            Anyone who's owned a mini-simmons or McCoy nugget (I've owned both) and worked them out will be able to jump on a sweet potato and click with it pretty quickly.
                            So it could well be a case of the archer not the arrow however looking down and noting your foot positioning and adjusting it accordingly will go a long way to getting it figured out.
                            One local guy I have seen on a sweet potato since Christmas actually has written "Foot back" with an arrow pointing towards the tail on the nose of his sweet potato. I saw it last week as he was getting out of the water and asked him about it.
                            Hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah good advice there Pete. Weight over the front doesn't work with those boards.
                              Saw on the Surfer forum that Stretch has his own take on the Controllers coming soon in FCS and Futures. A mix of the SF4 and the Controllers could be special!

Comment

Working...
                              X