Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I downsize from a 5'8 rapid fire to a 5'6 FST?

I've been thinking of repairing some dings to my 5'8 rf sp and put it on the market in order to downsize to a FST 5'6. I'm very happy with the 5'8 but the volume calculator has me at 42 max Liters. The 5'8 is 43 so I'm on the total upper end. To be honest I really only take the SP out in knee to thigh high or super, super slow and mushy waist high waves. Once it's waist high and fun I'm on my pnator. The 43L of volume in the 5'8 obviously makes it work better than the pnator in one to two foot waves. I really don't have any problems with the 5'8 other than it's a bit tougher to get the board up and onto whitewater or hit a close out lip compared to the pnator. I guess the 5'6 might feel a littler looser and skatier compared to the 5'8. My 6'0 pnator is 40L and it's perfect while my 6'2 dom is 38L and again perfect sizing. Can't imagine going to a 5'6 with the same volume as my dom. I don't need a better small wave set up in good small to medium size waves. I have the pnator for that. It's the junky 1-2 foot beach break surf I need the right set up for. I know I'm pulling hairs here as far as picking the right board for small waves but wave wise we just get alot of junky small days so having the right small wave board really helps out. I (a longboard is a must too) What advantages might the 5'6 give me over the 5'8 in those types of waves? Since i'm really only using the SP in 1-2 foot should I go volume over peformance?

Hi Bumper What height and weight are you?

Comment

And age?
      :-)

Comment

6 foot 190 on average. The weight fluctuates depending on the season. Solid intermediate.

Comment

6 foot 190 on average. The weight fluctuates depending on the season. Solid intermediate.

Comment

Hi Bumper,

It s always the same answer to those kind of question... would you rather work harder to catch a wave but have better turning?
            If yes go smaller if no keep it...
            I m 6'2 185-190 ride a 5'4 for same as you and go for 5'10 spitfire for bigger. I can ride a 5'2 SP and 5'8 spitfire no pblm but it s just harder...
            When it comes to 2 inch diff, it s really do I want to turn harder and work harder or I want the extra float and glide...
            You pick your challenger you should be able to kill it on both size!

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
              I've been thinking of repairing some dings to my 5'8 rf sp and put it on the market in order to downsize to a FST 5'6. I'm very happy with the 5'8 but the volume calculator has me at 42 max Liters. The 5'8 is 43 so I'm on the total upper end. To be honest I really only take the SP out in knee to thigh high or super, super slow and mushy waist high waves. Once it's waist high and fun I'm on my pnator. The 43L of volume in the 5'8 obviously makes it work better than the pnator in one to two foot waves. I really don't have any problems with the 5'8 other than it's a bit tougher to get the board up and onto whitewater or hit a close out lip compared to the pnator. I guess the 5'6 might feel a littler looser and skatier compared to the 5'8. My 6'0 pnator is 40L and it's perfect while my 6'2 dom is 38L and again perfect sizing. Can't imagine going to a 5'6 with the same volume as my dom. I don't need a better small wave set up in good small to medium size waves. I have the pnator for that. It's the junky 1-2 foot beach break surf I need the right set up for. I know I'm pulling hairs here as far as picking the right board for small waves but wave wise we just get alot of junky small days so having the right small wave board really helps out. I (a longboard is a must too) What advantages might the 5'6 give me over the 5'8 in those types of waves? Since i'm really only using the SP in 1-2 foot should I go volume over peformance?
              Hey Bumper, on really small conditions I don't know how much performance will be a factor. I would go volume over performance in your particular case. Since you have the potatonator you are pretty much cover on those small to average days where you would want to squeeze some performance out of the wave, hence comes forth the P'nator.
              The SP is a board created for pure fun on small conditions. By going too small you could be limiting the "fun factor" on those small days.
              Now having said that, I think that at your current weight and level, the 5'6" will be a really good comrpomise volume/performance. How did you feel the 5'8"? was it a bit too buoyant?.
              At 84Kgs I got a 5'6" SP and fount it too much volume for me, switched it for a 5'2" and that little thing goes everywhere on the wave. I reckon the 5'4" would have been a safe bet in my case.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Iggy, the 5'8 has always felt pretty good performance wise when the waves have a ramp to take off on and a decent wall or line to drive down. In small good waves I was always glad to have the volume, especially in the colder water with a 5 mill suit on. I agree that with the pnator I have a board that can perform well. In fact, ive had it out in potato type waves and it really went well (fast, loose and agressive) especially in small low tide punchy waves. I was able to really get the nose out of the water on closeout sections. I think the 5'6 SP in FST will still give me enough float in those full, mushy waves we get here during the higher tides. I've ridden the SP for the last year and a half and i've realized it really goes off in slow, slopey waves that are not closing out. I don't think a difference in one and half liters will impede my ability to good small waves. I've come to the realization that when it's ankle to knee high in the summer a long board is the best bet to have fun for someone with my ability and size. I'd love to rip those waves on a shortboard like the groms, light weights and pro's do but I'm a realist. Today was shin to knee high and totally gutless but my long board worked perfectly. I think I just have to face the reality that while the SP does work better than almost any shortboard in small waves it still has a limit (FOR ME) regardless if I'm on a 5'8 or a 5'6. I think I'll keep the 5'8 RF for the rest of the summer and play around with the pnator alot too. Once the fall is over I'll see what I can get for the 5'8 and go from there. I also think I'm still not working the back foot enough. I tend to put my front foot too far forward still and back foot not back enough on the tail pad. The board is so sick i can still make it work but hopefully some foot placement adjustments will help me in the small low tide stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X