Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 5'2 or 5'0??? Maybe swap if you're in QLD...

Hi guys, loving the forum and thought I would draw upon your infinite wisdom! I'm 73kg (163 pounds) & 5'6 in height and an int/adv surfer. I'm riding a 5'6 Dom and love its volume. I have a 5'2 SP and it seems like i really have to manhandle it both when I turn to paddle for waves and when riding it (especially backside).

So my question is, do most of you ride your SPs around the same volume as your other boards and let the outline and rocker of the SP do the job of catching slop or are you riding yours a few litres more?

I'm leaning towards trying to swap my 5'2 SP for a 5'0 as the volume of the 5'0 is 28.9L which is closer to my Dom at 28.4L compared to the 5'2 SP at 32.2L.

Any advice would be appreciated especially from people riding around those sizes, also if anyone wants to swap their 5'2 for a 5'0 and they're in QLD or even East coast Australia I'd be keen to talk with you.

Hey Yew. 165cms and 84 Kgs.
    Ride a 5'2" potato and could not be happier. I try to stay on the same volume range most of the time but I definitely take into consideration outline and foam distribution.
    My first potato was a 5'6"since I was skeptic of downsize too much. After a few weeks on it I realized that the board could give away more under the right specs so I sold it and got myself a 5'2".
    The potato is a board that needs to be surfed with quote some weight on the back foot, once that thing engages it's all about speed.
    Hope it helps

Comment

Cheers Iggy. If your 80kg and riding the 5'2 and enjoying it then I do probably need to try and swap my 5'2 for a 5'0.

How much did you sell yours for Iggy? And what would you think an excellent condition SP in FST is worth.

Anyone want to swap or buy a 5'2? My wife is going to kill me!

Comment

Yew!!!, I'm only a few kg heavier than you and on the 5'2" also. I've got about 6" in height on you though and I think that could be a big factor in how the SP feels under foot. For me it's 10" shorter than I am tall so very easy to whip around under me, but for you at 5'6" I guess it's more like me on a 5'8" in comparison.
        The 5'0" has enough volume for you for sure, it may affect the very bottom range of the conditions it excels in though, but I think it'll give you more performance in the conditions that it works in.

Comment

Thanks prjwebb, really appreciate the feedback you guys have both given about your 5'2s. I will definetly try swap/sell my 5'2 SP for th 5'0.

Wondering if anyone knows if FW in QLD, Austr. do trade ins on pretty much new boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Yew!!! View Post
            Thanks prjwebb, really appreciate the feedback you guys have both given about your 5'2s. I will definetly try swap/sell my 5'2 SP for th 5'0.

Wondering if anyone knows if FW in QLD, Austr. do trade ins on pretty much new boards?
            No mate they dont ... just ebay it.. you will get 600 plus

Comment

@ Yew, Send me an email, i may be interested, cheers Mick
              [email protected]
              Last edited by indodreaming; 07-04-2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X