Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so you hear both sides of the argument, i got my 5'4'' SP in May and had about 6 or 7 sessions on it and, even at my weight (170lbs/77kg) and age (44 yrs), i'm thinking i should have gone shorter perhaps even to a 5'0''. The 5'4'' is a huge board with a huge tail and i personally find it really hard to commit on a rail. I'm doing tail slides like a teenager and that is a lot of fun, but i'm also finding it hard to carve a good cutback or do a carving top turn. On the other hand, although the board paddles great it's not a crowd beater like a malibu or longboard so don't go for more length on that basis.

On the positive side i have to say that the board is incredibly fast (i'm also riding it with the controllers from IndoFins) and a lot of fun in crappy surf. But, as soon as the waves allow it, i'm back on my dominator 5'8''. The great thing, though, is that the SP makes the dominator feel like a high performance shortboard and makes me surf it a whole lot better.

Comment

In the end I got a 5'2 SP
      I was able to checked both the 5'4 and the 5'2 and the 5'4 looked too much board.
      First impression is that the board is very fast. Only had a couple of session. I'm 70kgs and the 5'2 duck dives easily.

I'm using the k2.1 quad setup but I'll try to get the indofins controllers.

Alberto I see that you live in portugal, did you buy your controllers in Portugal?

Cheers.

Comment

The Indofins are only available from Indofins.net or their eBay store. I've been using the K2.1 quad in my 502 but have Controllers in the way. Will post feedback when they arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
          The Indofins are only available from Indofins.net or their eBay store. I've been using the K2.1 quad in my 502 but have Controllers in the way. Will post feedback when they arrive.
          Let us know your feedback about the controllers! ;-)

Comment

Always a good idea to get the SP or BP with Futures if possible. Then you can get REAL Controllers.

Comment

Hey Ant.
              Got my Indofin Controllers the other day, only had one surf on them so far and they felt decent but I wasn't blow away. Didn't feel like there was anything wrong with them either so they'll either come alive in the next couple of surfs when I figure them out a little more, or the magic isn't going to be there for me like it is for others. That said they feel as good as my other favourite sets in that board already so they certainly aren't bad fins.

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto View Post
                Just so you hear both sides of the argument, i got my 5'4'' SP in May and had about 6 or 7 sessions on it and, even at my weight (170lbs/77kg) and age (44 yrs), i'm thinking i should have gone shorter perhaps even to a 5'0''. The 5'4'' is a huge board with a huge tail and i personally find it really hard to commit on a rail. I'm doing tail slides like a teenager and that is a lot of fun, but i'm also finding it hard to carve a good cutback or do a carving top turn. On the other hand, although the board paddles great it's not a crowd beater like a malibu or longboard so don't go for more length on that basis.

On the positive side i have to say that the board is incredibly fast (i'm also riding it with the controllers from IndoFins) and a lot of fun in crappy surf. But, as soon as the waves allow it, i'm back on my dominator 5'8''. The great thing, though, is that the SP makes the dominator feel like a high performance shortboard and makes me surf it a whole lot better.
                If you want more hold in cutbacks simply put in a "normal" rear fin as the rakier template will give you the hold. Just play around to find out which sized rear you prefer to give the best combo of hold and release.
                Simple :-)

Comment

Yeah agreed there!. Today I went out knowing the wave was a big caca, but despite that had quite a bit of fun. The beauty is that the 5'2" fits into every single pocket allowing you to go everywhere!!...and the speed... Remember that board likes to be ridden from the back foot, the more you have it against the kick of the tail pad the better.
                  Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

yeah iggy!

Comment

Working...
                    X