Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet potato - great board but i need some tips

i've ridden few days ago, in my opinion:

i've use in a small day.
    really like the paddle, the take off and the pump, but when i try to make turns if i push strong, i fall in the water and the board still go.

with my other shortboard if i do that it turns a lot, it's many years that i surf, make cutbacks, offthelip, aerials, ecc... but with this board when i try to turn it's respond like the rarely times i've try longboards... o_o

What size potato are you riding and what`s your weight?
    The ^potato and potatonator are two boards the need the back foot way back to make the board engage. Try placing the back foot on the kick of the tail pad from the get go. What fins are you riding on it?

Comment

Yeah, different board shapes will always require some adaptation. You'll find the sweet spot soon enough, but you can't surf a board like that like a short board.

Comment

i'm 1.90cm x 84kg

the board is a 5'6

i've seen in videos people ride it like a shortboard, for example daniel jones... aerial, fast cutbacks, rail to rail etc...

Comment

Yeah but a pro on a little 4'10" or something isn't comparable to most peoples experiences.

Comment

The board can do it Jack, you just have to approach it very differently. It requires most of you weight on the back foot and the foot all the way back to the tail block on the traction pad. Also, if you're not used to quads, you'll find that you have to plan your turns a little earlier. It took me a few days but once I adjusted I could get the board to do almost everything that my short board could do.

Comment

I had a 5'8 and was pretty dialed in after a month or so. Definitely takes a few sessions in a variety of waves. Just downsized to a 5'6 and it again took a few sessions to dial in. Alot easier to get it figured out in clean conditions. Takes me a little bit longer in onshore slop. Once you figure out the rails and sweet spots it goes mental in cruddy conditions. Took it out today in high tide crudy and it went off. All it needs is a nice takeoff ramp and a wall for it to go off. Love the smaller size. Definitely can work it better than the 5'8. Give it some time. I've learned not to force turns. Ive also been forcing myself to pop a bit earlier than I'm used to. It might have been a bit of a bad habit to begin with but the adjustment really made the board work a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Italy View Post
                i'm 1.90cm x 84kg

the board is a 5'6

i've seen in videos people ride it like a shortboard, for example daniel jones... aerial, fast cutbacks, rail to rail etc...
                Yea the board is pretty playful but again it must be ridden with the back foot waaaay back, on the kick of the tail.As PRJ said, pros can do whatever with whichever. The board definitely takes adjustment, mostly because you shorten the rail line so much that you need to find your own stance again.These boards were designed to pack as much volume as possible in the smallest size which makes them fit anywhere, and I'm talking about the wave of course.
                You don't want to oversize this board, otherwise it will feel to clunky... the question is how short are you willing to go.
                In my case I went from a 5'6" to a 5'2" and the difference was day and night

Comment

Working...
                X