X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Lakes Surfer

Hi, I am a great lakes surfer looking to purchase a sweet potato. I am 165 pounds with out a wetsuit, but I am usually wearing a 5 mill suit. Our waves are knee high to head high and not very powerful. What would be the best size?

I think you'd get the best out of a 5'4"

Comment

that sounds pretty small, I was thinking the 6' 0", kind of a long board replacement.

Comment

Shane the 6'0" will be too much foam! it will feel like a longboard for your weight.
        If you are looking for a longboard replacement maybe the Addvance will be a good option to explore.
        If you decide to stick with the potato, given the wave you'll be surfing I would consider to over foam your case and go for the 5'6". I know what you mean with those lake waves. Yo'll b needing a little longer rail line.

Comment

I want to surf a Lake wave! On my bucket list for novelty value. I've flown over Lake Michigan into and out of O'Hare Airport and it is huge.

Shane, how often do you get waves? Does it come like ground swell or only during storms, is there a "season" for surf? I'm sure I've seen offshore waves at about chest height. And Duluth is a surf town right? Tell me more, I'm totally intrigued by the idea.

Comment

The thing with the lake wave is that you really need to be in synch with the metereological conditions. Those swells ususally last only a few hours so you need to follow closely the weather systems.
            There is a good movie for that called UNSALTED. If you can find it check it out
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEi59gm0io

Comment

How much can sweet potato cost now?
              I haven't been here for ages,
              but I really need to know the price.
              Would be very grateful for the answer!

Comment

I believe in the East Coast is $695 the Rapidfire

Comment

yeah that's about right iggy!!

Comment

Working...