Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" vs "Old" Taj

Hi,

I recently (early 2011) bought a Taj 6'0", after having ridden a friend's Taj 6'1". I noticed the model I got was the "new" model (i.e., no valve), but what I also noticed was that the board felt bigger than the 6'1". I have since compared it to an "old" Taj 6'0", and indeed despite the dimensions being the same, it appears the size distribution and/or volume is significantly different - you can see and more importantly feel the difference in the board. I'm not disappointed, however I probably would have ordered a smaller one had I known the volume was increased.

Anyway - my question is, has there been any changes to any of the other models? I've recently ridden an El Fuego 5'7" (old, with valve), and am contemplating buying one (new, without valve!) but am wondering if the volume would have changed too?

Any insight would be great,
    Cheers.
    Last edited by redcap; 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM.

The Taj is the only one of the older models to be updated to a 'no valve' model to keep it in line with what Taj is riding.
    The other older models will still have valves, unless this is changing for 2012.

Interesting about the volume. Have the dims changed from the ones listed on the website? What volume is written on the rail of your board?

Comment

Dimensions are the same as listed (6'0, 18 5/16, 2 1/4), but volume is *less* than the website (board reads 24.8, website states 25.5), which is interesting considering I feel the board is *bigger* than the old model.

The dimensions listed were the same on the "old" Taj, but the volume was not printed. I haven't got out my tape measure, but it was quite obvious to the eye and hand that the old and new 6'0 Taj models were *significantly* different.

Comment

Is it def 6'0" and not a 6'1 that has been marked wrong?

Comment

I believe that Firewire beefed up the Taj Pro models last year. The volume used to taper off very quickly from the centre of the board which made the nose and tail area very thin. With the new models they left a bit of volume in the centre under your check, in the tail and nose area as well as the rails slightly which made the board go better in a more variety of waves.

This is true of the Alternator as well. The Alternator is a lot more beefier in the tail, chest and rails compared to the older models. A couple of friend both have a 6'4 Alternator and the dimensions are exactly the same except for the volume. You can physically see the difference between the 2 boards as the rails on the new Alternator are very chunky by comparison to the old model.

I think it is alway work checking the "Compare Boards" feature on the Firewire website as that may be a little more accurate than board info on the main site as that can take a little while to be updated.......someone from Firewire can confirm that???

Comment

Interesting. Baring in mind Taj's boards are exactly the dimensions he rides, that would mean he has also beefed up what he's riding slightly too if that is the case?

Comment

The dimensions of width, length, thickness are the same but with a little bit more volume left in the middle of the board, tail and out to the rails. I remmeber speaking to someone at Firewire Oz before i got my Taj Pro and i am pretty sure he said that they had been beefed up a little for us mere surfing mortals.

Comment

Hmm ok. Just the board's always been marketed as being exactly what Taj is riding so that seems strange to me. On the other hand it makes sense because, let's face it, not many of us surf like Taj.

I know they've said the 6'0"+ is his 5'11" beefed up for bigger guys, but I always envisioned the 5'11" being identical in shape to Taj's own boards.

Comment

There was a small adjustment to the overall volume as Taj beefed up his rails a touch so that probably accounts for the difference you are feeling...

Comment

Will my board have those slightly fuller rails Chris?

Comment

"Hmm ok. Just the board's always been marketed as being "exactly" what Taj is riding so that seems strange to me. On the other hand it makes sense because, let's face it, not many of us surf like Taj.

I know they've said the 6'0"+ is his 5'11" beefed up for bigger guys, but I always envisioned the 5'11" being identical in shape to Taj's own boards."

Hi guys, I'm riding a new valveless Taj 5'11 and believe me there is no beefing up with this model! There is sufficient foam through the middle but the board tapers off dramatically through the nose and tail which is razor thin through it's tip. I'm loving the Taj although it did take a few sessions to adapt to the thinner tail and quite severe rocker, when you get your weight distribution right depending on wave position and speed it becomes increadibly maneuverable and surprsingly versitle in smaller weaker surf providing you stay light on your feet. At first I was wishing I had re-ordered another 5'11 F1 which up till recently had been one of my magic boards but after a few sessions on the Taj I'm loving the speed and responsiveness.
                      It's certainly a copy of one of his models in this size, but then he will have plenty of 5'11 boards with slightly different dimensions at his disposal...Lucky git!

Comment

Does anyone know the volume of an old (with valve) 6"4 taj.

Comment

nelly I believe the 604 was not adjusted.

also everyone, keep in mind that Taj and Michel, as do other pros, make running adjustments to their gear. sometimes this yields running changes to their boards that get stocked at retail.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X