Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Trying to decide between a taj pro model or the flexfire..advice anyone? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide between a taj pro model or the flexfire..advice anyone?

Hi all, i was directed to this forum by someone in my shop, saying that you folks here were really great resources for advice. So, here's the questions.. I work in a surf shop, and there are two boards from last years firewire quiver left that i am interested in, but am not sure which way to go... there is a flexfire, in a 6'3", and a taj pro in the 6'2" size. I have been surfing 24 years, and would still consider my style to be quite active and aggressive... I like a lively board, and like to attack the lip right after dropping in at times, and want a good feeling board that can do tight radius turns and abrupt direction changes while still feeling in control and not squirelly. I also want decent rocker and a good rail feeling it link up well going from one extreme to the other. I also like to take off deep, so the boards bottom contour and tail shape and contour are a factor. returns from entering in fakie, and off lip 360's are in the bag of tricks too, so i want smooth transitions there.. I am 5'10" and about 145lbs... i have heard the springload of the taj pro model adds quite a bit of liveliness to the feel.. but i have no one here who can really lay it all out for me to help make up my mind. As an aside, i keep coming across this youtube video called "why firewire boards suck" where this guy supposedly snapped his board inn a plantar-flex direction while duck diving a 3 foot wave... has there been any other such reported issues? I know the stringerless technology would mean that board engineering would have to beef up the structural integrity elsewhere, but is there a weakness in fabrication that i should be aware of?.. just trying to get a bead on all the facts, this would be my first firewire board, so thanks for your patience, and help with my decision making. - Jeff from BC Canada

Hi Jeff,

Both boards you have mentioned are going to be able to do what you want. The Flexfire is going to be more user friendly with less of a rocker than the Taj. If you're a highly advanced surfer, get stupidly deep, and throw massive manouveres then the Taj will probably be the way to go. But if the waves are a little more average (not hollow or powerful) the flexfire will be better. Now i'm not saying the flexfire isn't any good in bigger hollower stuff, because it is excellent in those conditions, just the Taj is slightly more inclined that way. My flexfire is very easy to surf (i'm intermediate, doing basic airs, hard cutties, reo's etc) and a reasonable step up from my hybrids... Having said that, i'm now converting my whole quiver to hybrid style boards.

In terms of durability, I have also seen the video on youtube you're talking about. Boards break. Cheap ones, expensive ones, PU boards, PE boards etc etc... It's most likely that he had previously weakened the board in a big wipeout. The duck dive just broke the camels back so to speak... Personally I've had several firewires. I've creased my spitfire (rapidfire tech) and had it repaired. Still rides like new. I've cracked the rail on my flexfire (Direct Drive technology), but it is soooooooo miniscule I just solarez'd over it. Had the boards for probably 4 years or so now, and they still both ride like new.

Take the leap, and you won't go back to other tech.

enjoy!

Comment

Hey Justo, really appreciate the reply, and your input on the board breaking matter. Well, the waves here can vary quite a bit throughout our year, especially in this area i live in. We have some days that are a bit mushier, even when big, but then at some reef breaks, and more gnarly sandbars, it can be a hollow fast and even somewhat powerful wave. my complaint is that i dont have a high performance board in my quiver.. I know you said in the average waves, the flexfire seemed a bit better, but that it also traveled well into hollower more powerful waves. so is that to say the taj would totally suck in smaller or slightly weaker waves? Is it to stiff or unforgiving? to loose? That said, i only planned on taking this new board out when it is overhead by a foot or so.. what extra difference does that additional rocker in the taj give?..it seems to be more at the tail from a quick visual comparison. One of my concerns, is the flexfire is a bit longer at 6'3", and i am already fairly light, and using the firewire volume litreage formula, i would ideally fit into a 22L board spec, while these are 28 or more... i know taj himself usually rode this in a 5'11".. but i just figured on the extra length in the 6'2" it would be slightly more stable anyway.. but the board is also discontinued, and so with its advanced engineering, i would not want to miss out on what could be a pretty magical board, since they wont be made any more, and it is a piece of board history... but i do also want it to suit the majority of conditions here, and also when i travel... any final thoughts or input? - Jeff

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I've ridden both. I prefer the tail. I actually has a little more volume in the right places than a Flexfire in my opinion. The rocker on the Flexfire is a super smooth continuous curve though and they link turns effortlessly and surf super smooth.
        The extended tail rocker in the taj make it surf a little more aggressively and more critically. I love the tail rocker personally. It does need a steeper, punchier wave to come alive than the Flexfire though.

Tough one Jeff. You don't want to be over volumed. But if you're surfing over head waves on it either board will work well. The Taj will excel in the punchier stuff, a flexfire will go very well, but slightly more forgiving in lesser surf. You could look at a profile v1 as an alternative.

Comment

ok, so, i took a look today again at the boards... i am sort of tweaked by the taj... it is just so much different than anything else in my quiver, and i am attracted to its performance design specs. i do have another question though, i noticed that it is a lot thinner, almost a potato chip at the nose especially in comparison to the flexfire...has this ever been identified as a weak point, or is the nose prone to damage or snapping on these? also, is the thinner areas also a volume difference that would make it more difficult to actually catch waves or generate or keep momentum compared to the flexfire? Again, tough choice, and lotsa questions on the brain... just a big investment, want to do right!...lol

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah the Taj def needs a little more rider input than the Flexfire and likes to stay in the steeper parts of the wave to keep momentum. The extra rocker makes if a little slower to paddle but on steeper and punchier waves it gets in well and sticks to the face and seems to handle any drop.
          As far as snapping, I had some of my worst beatings on my old 6'2 Taj and expected to see it in 2 pieces a couple of times but it held up fine until I sold it. I think the guy who bought it off me still uses it and I bought it in 2008/2009.

I now use a 6'0 Taj in custom dims which has more lower end. 6'0 x 18.81" x 2.38" - 28l and have a 6'4 x 18.75 x 2.38"
          - 29.2l rounded pin Flexfire as a step up for trips. The Flexfire is super controlled and silky smooth but the Taj is exciting to surf. It just feels magic to me.
          If you regularly surf good waves I'd grab the Taj for sure.
      Working...
      X