Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 6'0 retro quadfish enough board?

Hey everyone, as the title suggests I'm considering a quadfish. Would really like the retro 6'2 but can get a hold of the 6'0 for a good price. There doesn't seem to be a lot between the two volume wise, so just wondering what people think about this fish for someone my size. I have a 6'2 fish now in fibreglass, which is heaps of fun, but would love to try a fish shape in the Firewire tech. My stats are in the signature below. Thanks.

I tried the 508 HP QF and that had ample float. The 602 Retro should be plenty. How do the volumes compare with your other boards?

Comment

Thanks prj, my Elf is 44.7 litres and floats me fine. The 6'0 is 44.6 litres so pretty well identical while the 6'2 has a bit more at 46.4 litres. The reason I'm hesitating a little is that my understanding is that fishes go best at high volume and also I'm pretty tall, at almost 6'5. I think that the 6'2 is probably ideal, but wondering if the 6'0 would be fine as well. Love the look of these boards. Anyone out there with similar dimensions to me that has one?

Comment

I am after a 5ft 8 quad fish but finding it hard to find one in any shops or second hand..... Want to replace an old fish. Don't want to go potato etc, but nobody seems to stock the fish?

Comment

you might need to put it a special order through your dealer. some shops keep the newer models and best sellers in stock and neglect the golden oldies.

Comment

Hey James, yeah that board may be hard to find, but you can certainly special order it. Where are you located? Feel free to go into your shop and have them inquiry about it or you can shoot me an email and I can see what we have.

Cheers

Comment

Tall kook, with fish boards I do think you can push the limits of the upper end of your ideal volume range. look to have a little flexibility because they typically are ridden in small conditions and aren't surfed quite as vertically as modern day small wave boards. Therefore you won't necessarily sacrifice too much by going up one size in my opinion...

Cheers

Comment

James,

This is my same exact problem! Please let me know what you got around to doing ...

Toby

Originally posted by james View Post
                I am after a 5ft 8 quad fish but finding it hard to find one in any shops or second hand..... Want to replace an old fish. Don't want to go potato etc, but nobody seems to stock the fish?

Comment

I think Down The Line in the UK have a few fishes.

Comment

I am in San Diego so UK is a tad far :( It's strange there are no fishtail, kingfish, or quadfish on the racks or available to demo in the town where the 1st fish was shaped! I spoke to Mike @ South Coast PB who said they would contact the Firewire rep. to order some demo quadfish (hopefully a 5'8" or 5'10") as neither the PB or OB store have them. I would like to at least see & hold this design before committing. Right now I'm split between the 5'8" x 20.5 x 2 3/8 (31.1L volume) and the 5'10" x 21 x 2.5 (35L volume) quadfish. I would like to hear from prjwebb & Chris to see what you think of the 5'8" vs the 5'10" if you have ridden these thin HP models. Thanks - Toby weight: 170lbs height: 6' ... surfing since '91
                    Last edited by Toby Woods; 06-30-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I'm basically your size and rode the 5'8" a few times. Felt the right size to me. Fun little board.
                      I had the medium S25 fins in it but felt like I wanted something bigger at the front for more drive.
                      It was a while ago now but I think it caught waves nice and easy.

Comment

I had a 5'8" HP Quadfish that was one of the best boards I've ever ridden. Pretty thinned out for a fish, but the flex and speed were amazing. Easier paddling than you would think due to the thickness in the middle. Hated to sell it, but I had too many boards. Toby, I am only 5'7" and 140 lbs. but probably a lot older than you. I recommend the 5'10". Hope that helps a little.

Comment

Ok I've investigated the sweet potato option and don't think its for me. Back to the quadfish. Can I get away with the 6'0 retro quad or should I hunt down a 6'2? I'm 6'4 and 90kg.

Comment

i think the 6'0" is plenty at 44.6l.

Comment

Hey Toby,
                              How old are you? as long as you are fit and an avid surfer without any major injuries that still flare up, you are the 508 all the way. I am 175 and that is my size. The reason there aren't as many around now is simple. They don't sell nearly as quickly. The potatoes have taken over. Make sure you thank Dan Mann for that!!!

As for the fishes they do riiiiiip and have a place in a lot of our hearts. So anyways that is the deal. If its your wish it can be gotten, I am just not sure I can get one in your hands without committing to buying it....

why don't you email me direct at the address below and let me know exactly what you are after, then we'll see what can be done.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X