Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timbertek vs FST vs Rapidfire

Hi,

Just wondering where the new TimberTEK sits in comparison to FST and RF technologies. Would it be fair to say it is more durable than RF but a bit less than FST as it doesn't have the glass? Does it have same solid rails like FST?

Also, with the EPS core being same density as RF, is it same/similar buoyancy to RF (ie. a little bit more float than FST)?

If someone has tried both or all 3 in same model/size would appreciate your feedback as looking to buy new Spitfire and love the look of the TimberTEC but want to make the right choice.

@Monty...
    According to Chris C., Timber is more durable than RF and almost as durable as FST...in layman's term: it's in between. haha. As far as buoyancy, they all have the same volume no matter what tech. However, some say the RF goes "faster" cause it is lighter...I never noticed a difference from FST. Sorry no experience with timbertek yet... Because of my surfing sytle (roundhouses, floaters, etc.), my main concern is durability, which the FST provides. Hope that helps a little.

Go here to see and compare technologies: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/te...hp?techid=tech

ALOHA!!

Comment

Cool thanks,

Durability is my main priority as well so sounds like FST or TimberTEK for me. Take your advise on the float, wasn't sure they would be the same as I had heard people talk about difference between RF and FST and saw that the foam density is different and it has the with lighter shell so didn't know if float would be the same.

Now for that new board!

Comment

If two boards have identical volume but one is lighter than the other, it will float better. A lead filled balloon vs an air filled one, which one are u going to abandon ship with! Every gram of weight a board has is a gram less of your weight it can support. How that affects a boards surfing performance is another story---

Comment

Every gram of board adds to every gram of your body weight.
          Between two boards with same volume, the lighter one will hold you more afloat because it contains more air inside.
          ..The air is the most lightweight in respect to solids.

Just to be more complicated...
          if a surfboard would be made of an ordinary plastic balloon, it wouldn't need much volume to keep you afloat.
          But the balloon it too flexible to be used as a surfboard, unless it would be made of a material tecnologically highly advanced which would be as thin as a balloon but stiff as a surfboard needs to be...to be surfed on...

what do you think of this! :-)
          Last edited by maxcap; 04-14-2013, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I think I need some of what you are on in order to continue the conversation! You are almost correct except that its not just the air trapped inside the materials that make up a surfboard [foam, wood etc] that matter. Two boards of the same volume can be made with different density resins or cloths, and therefore even tho the skin has the same thickness it weighs more. Innegra cloth is a case in point I believe. I guess some foams may also be blown with substances that have a lower density also, even tho they may encase exactly the same amount of air.

Comment

surfboards are made of foam, wood, etc, because they are stronger and tougher than air. But if the skin was though enough to support the stress of all forces in surfing, it wouldn't need the foam, or wood, etc..
              when a solid is lighter than another of same volume, it is because there is not as much solid in that same volume. While the leftover space(volume) is filled with some kind of gas.. in this case we are talking about air.
              At human eye they look solid the same way...

e.g. titanium doesn't need to be as thick as steel to support the same stress of steel. Therefore it is lighter than steel, because it's walls are thinner. Or, if they have the same volume, titanium would be less dence than steel.

Going back to the foam: when a foam is not as heavy as another foam with equal volume and resistance, it means that it is less dence and therefore more advanced tecnologically to the heavier foam. same logic with the skin..

e.g. epoxy(new surfboards) is lighter due to more air and sits more above the water line and polyurethane(old traditional surfboards) is heavier with less air and sits more in the water line.
              Last edited by maxcap; 04-14-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Sorry Piha LOcal, but it has been a boring day for me today.
                ..and I wanted to feel like the son of Albert Einstein

:-)

Comment

Hi maxcap, i'm sitting by a pool in a $30 mill house in Singapore looking after friends kids till we go to Indo on Saturday so I'm bored too. Re our discussion, two solids of the same volume do not always have the same weight, ie lead vs epoxy resin. This has nothing to do with any gas they may or may not contain. Solids have different densities at the molecular level I believe and for surfboards, some resins [not foams] are lighter than others. For performance tho other factors have to be taken into account such as durability, flex and strength. Carbon fibre is light and strong for the same weight but is often too rigid for the nice flex surfers appreciate when riding the fluid dynamics of water and waves.

Comment

Hi Piha Local, so.. you must be a very bored millionaire!......
                    I agree with the external layer and its molecules. We are seeing it with a different point of view and interpretation. I was mainly referring to the foam, as you mentioned it, and also because epoxy board and fiberglass board have different foam inside.
                    obviously I'm referring to air as molecules

Comment

Hey son of Einstein! LOL don't over estimate the capacity of volume to float you just because it is lighter. My boards weigh about 2.5kg and I weigh around 90kg, so the volume of the board has to float a total of 92.5kg. So let's just say for argument's sake you could make a board from unobtainium that had the flex characteristics you want and weighs 0g. The total weight to be floated is still 90kg so that is a drop of around 3%. Yes you can drop the volume but only by around 3%. The numbers add some perspective, too often I hear guys thinking because some tech (be it tuflite, EPS, epoxy, FST etcetera) is 10% more buoyant they can chop off 10% of the volume - not quite. When we are talking realistically about the difference of perhaps 1kg, it doesn't make that much difference.

Comment

imagine how many molecules of gas are in your boards. lol

Slowman, how can i show my signature with my posts?

...ok, it worked
                        Last edited by maxcap; 04-15-2013, 12:36 AM.

Comment

So Piha, where are you off to, Telos?

Comment

you are underestimating my theory

Comment

No Slowman, not that exotic unfortunately. I face the eternal married surfers dilemma: go for broke and stress the relationship or reach some compromise that works for all concerned! I have it pretty good compared to most, she used to windsurf with me, now she flatwater paddleboards, so Nusa Lembongan, with an infinity pool overlooking the surf, it is [again].You are dead right btw with your analysis of the relative contribution of board weight to paddle power with identical volumes. Swing weight, drive momentum, responsiveness etc are however highly correlated with weight and good surfers are rightly concerned with this factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X