X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
    ... Swing weight, drive momentum, responsiveness etc are however highly correlated with weight and good surfers are rightly concerned with this factor.
    Piha, yes indeed even if we could make a board that weighed next to nothing, would you want to? I recall Nev talking about how he embedded some weight in Taj's boards at the nose end to create the optimum swing weight for him. The other factor is water displacement, when standing fully weighted on the board it would be roughly the same but during those moments of unweighting throughout a manoeuvre when say your weight on the board is reduced by 50% or more, is when that increased buoyancy might make a bit of difference - and it could be a negative one if you are relying on keeping the rail buried. Windy days would be fun! I couldn't see such a board being used in anything but small surf.

Nusa Lembongan? Still jealous!
    Last edited by Slowman; 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

hey piha,

would that be villa aman on lembongan?

Comment

whats fave there? playground, ships or laceys?

Comment

Hi all, back to Coconuts again, got to know the owners Son in law now so get a good deal. Plus chilling in the infinity pool between surfs is hard to beat with its great view of Lacerations and Shipwrecks. Speaking of Shipwrecks, I got scared out of the water twice last October as the swell and huge tides conspired to take the waves from thigh to double overhead grinders in the space of 2 hours! Shiwrecks is my favorite but playgrounds above shoulder can also be fun. Couldn't believe the crowds at times tho last year, lots of Euros. Had a good uncrowded session with a very good Aussie surfer at Shipwrecks. Classic; was chatting to him in the water about boards etc and when he said he was from Phillip Island I said "Oh I was reading about a local rockstar surfer from there when I was in the Maldives earlier in the year, you don't happen to know a guy called Glynden Ringrose do you?" And he replied, "You're talking to him"!!!

Comment

Classic.

Comment

Hi Piha & Slowman, would you guys be able to suggest me what size BP Td is more suitable for my weight?

81kg intermediate surfer.

I would appreciate it, thanks.

it will be my first firewire..

Comment

5'3" bp

Comment

Hi maxcap, I would suggest whatever sits between 34 litres and about 39 liters if you are intermediate, I demoed a 5/4 sweet P and found it easy to ride but a little slow to paddle. I like to surf long session and get heaps of waves so always go a little larger than most. However I'm selling my 6/0 P/nator because I went too large at 40ltrs and hate the excess corkyness.

Comment

Hi all, back to Coconuts again, got to know the owners Son in law now so get a good deal. Plus chilling in the infinity pool between surfs is hard to beat with its great view of Lacerations and Shipwrecks. Speaking of Shipwrecks, I got scared out of the water twice last October as the swell and huge tides conspired to take the waves from thigh to double overhead grinders in the space of 2 hours! Shiwrecks is my favorite but playgrounds above shoulder can also be fun. Couldn't believe the crowds at times tho last year, lots of Euros. Had a good uncrowded session with a very good Aussie surfer at Shipwrecks. Classic; was chatting to him in the water about boards etc and when he said he was from Phillip Island I said "Oh I was reading about a local rockstar surfer from there when I was in the Maldives earlier in the year, you don't happen to know a guy called Glynden Ringrose do you?" And he replied, "You're talking to him"!!!
                    My wifes parents, who are kiwis, owned a resort right on the point at playgrounds. They sold it 10 years ago but we used to love going there...no crowds back then. I too have seen Shipwrecks go from nearly flat to easy 20ft faces in the space of a couple of hours. The bali high pontoon which was the only one there back then was see sawing so bad from the swell that all of the plastic chairs from it got thrown in the drink. We went back last year and couldnt believe how built out it is. Nothing like it used to be and sadly way to crowded for us to enjoy like we used to.

Comment

Hi Piha local, I have been thinking for a while { not bad as an Einstein.. ;-) } about your suggestion and I finaly came to the conclusion to go for a 5'5''.

thanks mate

thanks to you too iggy, but I prefer to keep the paddle easy

Comment

Hi maxcap and FW-fan, I'm writing from my room at Coconuts in Nusa Lembongan. Arrived today after 3 days in Seminyak, one working, two trying to find a wave that didn't close out. Too big and too straight for the beachies. Playgrounds today was epic, off the boat and into the water, super high tide going out with a bit of a rip, but head high on the sets. Surprisingly uncrowded for an hour or so till the Balo crew began to dominate the left. Kept to the right and got a heap of waves, super fun. My Unibrow was loving the xtra power and speed of the reef waves. No hint of skittery-ness, just lovely, grippy responsiveness. I LOVE this board! Riding it with Quad E fins [Shapers, like AM2's I think,quite big but with a raked, refined tip] and a DIY knubster. Looks like the swell will hold all week, yeww! FW fan, I used to surf Raglan when I knew every surfer in the water by name so I know what it feels like to lament an overrun surf spot.

Comment

Hi maxcap and FW-fan, I'm writing from my room at Coconuts in Nusa Lembongan. Arrived today after 3 days in Seminyak, one working, two trying to find a wave that didn't close out. Too big and too straight for the beachies. Playgrounds today was epic, off the boat and into the water, super high tide going out with a bit of a rip, but head high on the sets. Surprisingly uncrowded for an hour or so till the Balo crew began to dominate the left. Kept to the right and got a heap of waves, super fun. My Unibrow was loving the xtra power and speed of the reef waves. No hint of skittery-ness, just lovely, grippy responsiveness. I LOVE this board! Riding it with Quad E fins [Shapers, like AM2's I think,quite big but with a raked, refined tip] and a DIY knubster. Looks like the swell will hold all week, yeww! FW fan, I used to surf Raglan when I knew every surfer in the water by name so I know what it feels like to lament an overrun surf spot.
                          So you know Daniel K? I love Raglan...got some epic waves there the Xmas before last....

Comment

So looking forward to some of the TmberTecs arriving in Hawaii!

Comment

Hi FW-fan, yes I know Daniel K, not well but my brother who lives at Whale Bay knows him well. D's grandfather used to scare the hell out of us as grommets, come and stand on the same boulder we were on, tower over us and swear at us to get off his land! My brother and I were local champs back in the late 60's early 70's. Lacerations was epic yesterday, just under head high but air drop into barrel all the way to the end section, you will know what I mean. Best of all just 10 or so out and locals calling me into waves--nice. Nice also that I didn't miss a drop, the consequences of doing so can be nasty!

Comment

Hi FW-fan, yes I know Daniel K, not well but my brother who lives at Whale Bay knows him well. D's grandfather used to scare the hell out of us as grommets, come and stand on the same boulder we were on, tower over us and swear at us to get off his land! My brother and I were local champs back in the late 60's early 70's. Lacerations was epic yesterday, just under head high but air drop into barrel all the way to the end section, you will know what I mean. Best of all just 10 or so out and locals calling me into waves--nice. Nice also that I didn't miss a drop, the consequences of doing so can be nasty!
                                My wifes best friend is Daniels ex...when I was over there last year I paddled up to him and introduced myself having not met him before. Great guy...calling me into 5 foot Raglan lumps 5 mins after I met him....no one argued !! He has some priority out there. Damn Lacerations...never forget my first surf there...got pitched time and time again...was just too sucky. That was on the falling tide. On dead low I was horrified to see the seaweed sticks coming out of the reef right where I was getting a thrashing..I couldnt believe I didnt get impaled. Great wave when you work it out and its on.

Comment

Working...
                                X