X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tescot View Post
    So looking forward to some of the TmberTecs arriving in Hawaii!
    @Tescot, just don't hold your breath...it might be a little longer for us. The first batch of Timber to arrive will probably go to the people that pre-ordered...

ALOHA!!

Comment

@Everyone, I recently got a chance to check out the TimberTek boards (Spit and Uni) in person and I must say these boards are aesthetically pleasing!

The major advantages that I feel the Timber has over RF and FST is that it is less susceptible to dings and very responsive. There is no glassing used on the paulownia deck and bottom…just bio resin hot coat. No glass means no dings. The only way I see the Timber being damaged is if you tried to punch a hole through it, dropped it on a rock, or fell on it with your elbows or knees while surfing.

@Chris, feel free to add to this or correct me if I'm wrong :)

ALOHA!!
      Last edited by hawaii_boi; 05-02-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Hi Hawaii_boi,

Did you get a chance to ride one or just a look? Very interested in a comparison between the FST and TT for the same sized board if you did, esp the Spit or Unibrow.

I checked out a TT BP the other day at one of my local stores and couldn't get over how light it felt (and cool it looked), definitely think it would float a tad more than FST for same size/volume.

Not sure if it would be as durable as FST though, those things are indestructible. Guess it comes down to how long the bio resin lasts and whether it will stop the timber and EPS sucking water if it gets scratched.

Seems like RF might be on the way out though, I saw Chris post something on the Dom thread saying that the Uni is now only going to be TT and FST, maybe consensus is that the TT is better than RF? Just sucks that the price point on TT isn't the same as RF here in Oz otherwise going TT would be a no-brainer for me.

Take it easy

Comment

Yeah so the exterior of the board has fiberglass rail laps to seal everything nice and tight. but yeah the deck and bottom do not have a standard lam job, just a hot coat. Paulownia wood is super stable in wet environments, plus its light and durable.

to say it doesn't ding is probably not the best way to look at it. What you don't get are little glass shatters that would then take on water. if you hit the board hard enough you can break the wood, but if that happens, you would simply have to repair it the same way you would a normal board.

Comment

@Monty... I only got a chance to look and touch it, but not ride em. Hmm...sounds like a gentleman's club! hahaha! Joking aside, boards look sick. The wood layer is actually thin so I don't think it will suck in any water but who knows.

I still think FST is more durable because of the extra layers being used. I heard the RF will be faded out. WRF, TT, and FST will remain.

ALOHA!!

Comment

@Chris, thank you for the great insight! I'm more open to buying a Timber board now! :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

I have been looking into hollow wood surfboards a bit and the biggest concern with many of those, regarding to fiberglass or not, is whether you can create a board without holes so the resin can create a good bond/seal/barrier. If they are not using any glass and only the resin, then they must have good techniques at the factory for mating the paulownia. It's a great wood for surfboards, light and strong!

@Chris - I know in HWS some have gone down to 1/8" for the bottom, and maybe for the deck depending on rib spacing. And I figured that the bamboo on the RF was not much more than a veneer. So if the rails are the only part that is getting glass (correct?) then that would be where the seam is. Correct? How thick is the paulownia deck/bottom skin?

Mahalo!
                Last edited by Tescot; 05-05-2013, 02:24 AM. Reason: Update w/ question

Comment

Originally posted by Montygoesbananas View Post
                  Hi Hawaii_boi,

Did you get a chance to ride one or just a look? Very interested in a comparison between the FST and TT for the same sized board if you did, esp the Spit or Unibrow.

I checked out a TT BP the other day at one of my local stores and couldn't get over how light it felt (and cool it looked), definitely think it would float a tad more than FST for same size/volume.

Not sure if it would be as durable as FST though, those things are indestructible. Guess it comes down to how long the bio resin lasts and whether it will stop the timber and EPS sucking water if it gets scratched.

Seems like RF might be on the way out though, I saw Chris post something on the Dom thread saying that the Uni is now only going to be TT and FST, maybe consensus is that the TT is better than RF? Just sucks that the price point on TT isn't the same as RF here in Oz otherwise going TT would be a no-brainer for me.

Take it easy
                  So what is the price difference?

Comment

TT is the same as FST, which I think is very fair!

Comment

keep in mind the reduction in fiberglass used and the inclusion of Paulownia is the result of our pursuit of a greener surfboard. The physical properties of the Paulownia lets us reduce the amount of fiberglass, resulting in the light, responsive board with a dramatically reduced carbon footprint. If the tech didn't work insanely well, we wouldn't have offered it. It passed with flying colors and now the path is somewhat set for our eco program. But the eco component really was the driving force behind this tech.

To our knowledge, we are also the only surfboard builder that is putting a board that meets Sustainable Surf's ECOBOARD requirements out in any great numbers. The fact that we can make a board eco friendly that is highly durable, a great performer and not 30% more expensive is a testament to Firewire's R&D program.

Check out the ECOBOARD requirements here: http://www.sustainablesurf.org/ecoboard/

Comment

@Chris, that would be awesome if the Timbers were lower in cost but I doubt they will be :(
                        Here on O'ahu, HI, average cost of a RF is 700. FST is 750-800+. Where does Timber fall into?

ALOHA!!

Comment

I have to say, I've never had a problem with either FST or RF and I actually like the the RF wears over time. I like how the deck pressures more like a Poly board instead of the little dimples the FST boards get. It's more like what I'm used to.

I also kited on my RF Spitfire and NEVER had any problems. I like the feeling of the RF boards too, specially on grovelers. I'm about to try my hand at TimberTek for the first time. I admit I'm a little concerned that there seems to be only a thin film of resin over the wood laminate... But if my FW friends tell me it's more durable than RF, I'm not going to argue.

Comment

Just bought the 6'0 20.5 2.5 Spitfire because its beautiful. Don't know nothing about about the surfboard model, don't know nothing about the tecnograin/timbertek thing, I just love how it looks and that I like flotation and that I absolutely loooooove my FST Michael Bourez Firewire.

The only thing that concerns me about the dimensions is the 20.5 width. Never I've had a board that wide. I will appreciate any ocomment or observation about switiching from a 18 3/4 width to a 20.5.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                            X