X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timbertek Durability

Getting ready to buy either a timbertek baked potato or fst sweet potato. Can anyone shed some light on durability differences between these two board types?
    Also, if you do ding/break the timbertek, what's the repair process? Do you need special materials? I'm a little hesitant to jump on the bandwagon with the new technology until i understand what i'm getting myself into (i tend to keep boards a WHILE, and ultimately end up doing repair on them at some point).

Thanksl!

hey twfortune,

they are very similar in durability and are actually repaired the same way. Even the TimberTEK is repaired using glass and epoxy resin. the major difference is if you want to maintain the aesthetic value, you might get creative about how to re use any broken wood.

cheers and hope this helps!

Comment

test

Comment

awesome! thanks chris, think i'll try to timbertek out.

Comment

i wud go w the BP just on versatility alone regardless of repairs and such. i see people having fun on the SP, but tend to b limited as far as performance and wave selection. as for the BP, u can really push this board. i wud say that my BP is my best all around board. if u take it out when its too big, it becomes a speed test.

Comment

fokaiHI, I'm glad you like the BP. I was boasting about it in the forums for some time now but no one seemed to believe me haha.

ALOHA!!

Comment

I'm warming up to TimberTek now because it won't develop "spider cracks." :D ALOHA!!

Comment

My BP rocks. It's sooooooooo good in the small & gutless stuff. Gets vert, glides over lips, releases fins, gouges on rail...what more could a surfer ask for?

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                  I'm warming up to TimberTek now because it won't develop "spider cracks." :D ALOHA!!
                  hawaii_boi, my technograin has a very small "spider crack" on the rail from bumbing against another board while driving...nothing serious as of now, but still a concern also, i notice these ity bity micro sized chips in the wood, hoping thats no big deal as well...other than that ive had the board for almost 2 weeks now, and its awesome, im riding a 503 but honestly i think i couldve went 501...paddles very well, very strong on even the smallest ripples, and when the sections rite, the fins release so smoothly, ive been a little sketch going vertical reverse on it, im afraid im going to land on the lip wrong and brake it, but airs are ridiculously easy...hope this helps...MAHALO :D

Comment

• hawaii_boi
                    hawaii_boi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I heard the rails have glassing so that might explain the spider cracks. As for the wood itself, i noticed it gets damaged just like a wooden table...

ALOHA!!

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
                  i wud go w the BP just on versatility alone regardless of repairs and such. i see people having fun on the SP, but tend to b limited as far as performance and wave selection. as for the BP, u can really push this board. i wud say that my BP is my best all around board. if u take it out when its too big, it becomes a speed test.
                  I have to pretty much agree here. Having ridden both, and I love the SP, I ride a BP and feel I can really push myself, or just go for a fun session and catch more waves than anybody else while riding the shortest board. It really is VERY versatile!

Comment

• thierry
                    thierry commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ok so I am hesitating between BP and SP for ad waves....so you would both say BP is better right?

I'm pretty much sold on the BP from all you guys' comments. I've decided on 5'3" TimberTek... Now I only need to find one in SoCal with FCS. I've been very happy with durability on all FW techs, so I'm expecting nothing different from TT.

Comment

dev test

Comment

Great looking pieces of art!!!! that baked is winking to me!!!! jejeje

Comment

I noticed a TINY nick in the wood near the nose on the top deck, while unwrapping my board from the factory packaging today, nothing major but is dry wood. Very tiny... Should I oil it, a tiny drop of Krazy glue, epoxy resin, or smudge it with wax? I don't want to open a can of worms, but wanna do something before a surf...

Comment

• Phill
                          Phill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A little be of epoxy will be best.

Phill, you're correct, I was tripping, LOL. A tiny poke in some solarez epoxy with the corner of a business card and quick spice with a clean edge was all it needed, can barely find it!

Comment

Working...
                        X