Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fell in love with my 5'3" TimberTek BP at first sight. A couple of weeks (six sessions) later, I came out of the water with a divit / hole in the deck (see photo). My guess is it's either from a heel on popup or a knee from a duck dive. Going over the session in my mind, nothing happened that would've poked a hole in my epoxy or poly boards a pressure ding, maybe, but not a hole. So much about this board is AMAZING how it rides, paddles, turns, floats, looks, etc. (did I mention all the compliments?). And I am really excited about supporting new technology that helps reduce the eco-impact associated with surfboards. That said, maybe the durability is questionable? Heck, maybe it's still a somewhat experimental tech, and that's the price (not a small one) I pay for being an "early adopter"? I have emailed three folks from FW, along with photos, and have heard nothing back. This is my first FW purchase, and I was - in part - motivated by all the folks I met who loved their boards, and particularly spoke of their durability the durability I anticipated would be built into this board. I hope someone from FW gets back to me, as I think replacing it would be the right thing to do.

Comment

wavewolf that sucks! i had a feeling "cave ins" would happen. Hopefully it's only with the first batch, if not...i might reconsider and buy RF Baked...

ALOHA!!

Comment

I hope this is not what to expect from tt construction, I have a bp in tt on the way and now am really wishing fst was an option( i almost wish i ordered rapid fire)It always great to be Eco friendly but at the expense of durability it's a tough call. I'll post a ride/ durability report. This board will be for concessions, kewalos, cliffs, big rights and so on. I hope it does not fall apart in 1-3 slop

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's safe to say Firewire wouldn't have put out this technology until they were 100% confident it could hold up in day to day use. The impact it would have against them would be too great to just rush something out and have it fail.

As with any complicated build process there will be a few with problems that make it out into the market, and I'm sure Firewire, as I've seen them do in the past, will stand behind their product and take care of anyone who's board has failed without 'pilot error'.

There's plenty of guys on here saying how their TT boards are holding up incredibly with barely a pressure dent on the deck, and I'd say that is the more likely experience folks will have with these boards.

wolfey it's always the case with new things. FW cannot simulate all scenarios so we need to let them and others know if there are issues :)

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I'm sure the board will be awesome. I'll give a ride report after it gets here

Comment

FireWire still after six weeks has not fixed my timbertek surfboard or responded to any of my phone calls. They said my board would be fixed in one week. Rode it twice and my hand went through the deck when catching a wave. The deck has no support underneath it.

Comment

Do you have any pictures to upload? It's not good to hear that Firewire are not helping you out, be good to hear it from their side.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your board issues, maybe it was an unlucky board. Hope it's being sorted now. I have one of the earlier techno grain named baked potatoes in a 5'3, it's all I surfed on a month long trip to France and Spain this summer. No issues with durability for me, in fact iv been quite impressed as not even got a slight pressure mark, it still looks brand new. Amazing board, just as fun as my old sp but way more snappy off the top. 5'3Bp 74kg pilot

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you back now Matt? Did you have a good one? It's been awful in the SW. A few ok days but nothing over a few feet. Mostly onshore and flat.

Back now phill, 1 week at work and its like it never happened! Damn, Waves were pretty great most of the summer, had some super fun sessions in sw France decent waves on tap !especially whilst the women's swatch pro was on,The bank up from the contest site was unreal... Sorry to hear about sw being crap..il be down to experience first weekend it lights up somewhat...... Still regretting not getting that second hand 5'4 VG u pointed out. think I'm going to hold out for TT or fst then put the money down unless I come across another deal before hand to tide me over.

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to hear you had fun waves. Jealous!
              Yeah that 5'4 would have been perfect!

Give me a shout when you're down next if you fancy catching up for a surf!

Tropical Blends just got a 601 TT BP in and I am so thinking about trading mine in to pick that one up... Hmmm...

Comment

defintley meet up for a surf next time i make it down Phill, I missed a good one in yorkshire last sat but just couldnt face the drive after the slog back from bordeaux the weekend before, gutted now cause everything on every coast looks rubbish this weekend, heres hoping for next weekend.

tescot, do it, you wont regret it, such a great board

Comment

Hey Phill! Hope all is great. I would like to touch up the dry wood spots , it's not bad enough yet to return it. I want it light! I love it as is, just feel like I should try to touch it up. I have used a little clear nail polish in a few tiny spots where the wood seemed to swell, noticeable after a session. The rail on the tail where the layers meet. After drying obviously... A little brush with my chicks Polish worked great. Nail polish is a little thick, just want to lightly coach the areas with something I won't have to sand, any ideas?

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not sure. I anticipate you'd have to sand whatever you use unless to just spray in with lacquer to waterproof it.

If you want to keep the weight off, reinforcing only certain key areas with fibreglass could be a good option.

Yeah I thought about spray but too hard to be precise and would end up spraying the whole bottom deck. Otherwise would have tape lines... I'll swing by West Marine and see what they have. I'll let you know, thanks for the damn quick reply'!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X