X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone riding a Timber Tek spitfire

Iv'e been thinking of getting a spitfire then i saw the timber tek and thought that looks pretty good but how dose it compare to FST. Im a little concerned that it might be a bit light on s wave with a bit of punch can anyone compare the two or even rapid fire?

@Oneal, Chris says it's in between a RF and FST. However, positive thing about TimberTek is no more spider cracks and less susceptible to dings. I wish i was riding a TimberTek board...any model haha

ALOHA!!

Comment

I also considered Spitfire but luckily saw Unibrow in Timber Tek (mine is stamped TECHNO GRAIN) and it has enough width in tail for mush but holds in the hollow. I have 6'6" X 2 7/8" but not too thick due to domed deck creating very fine rails. Several surfs later I am really happy! I did use a very expensive car wax (not abrasive polish) on the bottom as it felt sluggish to paddle initially but then that could have been caused by too many beers and couching!!!!!

Comment

jambo and hawaii boi thanks for your comments I've been impressed by the unibrow since it was released however i'm an older guy and not as fit as I was so i'm unsure of my paddle power we are not able to get demoes were I live so the only way to try is to buy which gets costly when you get it wrong. I really was thinking of something with a bigger range than the spitfire tried the sub scorcher but didn't completely jell with it may be I should have another look at the unibrow

Comment

Can't be as old as me at 53! I am the old man in the old man and the sea. 90kgs and reasonably fit surfing 5+ times a week and I am on minimum volume with 6'6" Unibrow and would consider 6'8" as it is marginally thicker. I ride some point and beach breaks that CAN get hollow but I would opt for wider tail of Spitfire if riding fuller and fatter waves. I really hate that corky feel of ducking under 6' of white water and having to wrestle a board that wants to be a crocodile. I really find 16'+ tails a problem in juicier waves but Unibrow has replaced 6'3" x 2 7/8" Al Merrick Biscuit and 6'8" Wayne Lynch and seems to be fine. Get Timber it does really look good particularly in that lovely afternoon winter light on the NSW north coast - the board takes on a golden glow. I'll stop now before I sound like 70s hippie dancing on the ocean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ha good stuff Jambo. And yeah the sentiment that its weight is somewhere between RF and FST is correct. The tech's response is somewhere between the two as well. FST is a bit longer and more even and I think RF is the lightest and twitchiest. TimberTEK falls nicely in between giving a great performance weight, high end durability and a really lively flex without feeling soft

Comment

Just had some little point peelers and amazed! Riding 3 fins and the drive in cutting back into stiff southerly breeze on two foot high tide was brilliant. The amount of power it generated coming around, with back foot in the sweet spot nearly left me behind (really kooked turn) but saved it as board came round under me quickly. Drive off bottom of wave was very good and a lot livelier than anything in Surftech or PU boards. I have never ridden other Firewires so cannot comment on above post but this Unibrow in timber tek is a very fine board. Pretty and goes well- a worthy investment!

Comment

Hi guys, as for claiming 'Old man" status--now 62 yrs and still mad keen like a grommet! I ride a 6/4 Unibrow @ 37.3 ltrs and weigh 83kgs. Surf mine at the moment with Shapers Quad E's with a knubster and find this setup to be a best of both solution. Fantastic board from groveling up to head and a half. It does get a bit skittery when in really powerful fast waves over head high [West Coast NZ]--- just too much lift under back foot to turn at will, you have to bleed speed a little before initiating a full-on turn. Has replaced my 6/4 Hellfire, 6/2 Dom and 6/0 Potatonater. Love it!

Comment

The only problem with my Timber Unibrow is getting it back off my son when he comes home from university!!!!!!! He won't ride his board so I suppose I'll have to get another as it is great to surf with your kids. How about you Piha?

Comment

Hi jambo, don't really have the issue only because my son is lighter than me. He rides a 5/8 Dom mostly and is off to Lombok and Nusa Lembongan in two days. 8 ft swell is forecast so he was trying to get ME to buy him a more appropriate Firewire! Lombok has some swell protected options so he won't die. Any issues emerging with durability of the Timbertech surface? Wondering if when the surface seal is compromised there can be water ingress into the underlying grain of the wood?

Comment

Jambo & Piha Local you guys put up a pretty good argument for the unibrow. Seems we are quite similar i'm 55 yrs 87 kgs & live just a couple of hundred miles north of you Jambo on the sunshine coast however I grew up in NZ (CH CH) still mad keen except I do this other thing called work and at times it gets in the way of surfing so on a good week I might get wet 5 times and on a bad month it might only be 1-3 times and thats the times when I can struggle to paddle. The surf we get here does not have the grunt you guys get over head is a good big swell and one and a half is rear unless there is a cyclone round but it can get hollow. I fondled A 5/11 unibrow yesterday and I have to admit it looked nice made me wonder what a 6/4 feels like? 40 liters seems to be my upper limit I just wonder if a unibrow could partner up with my baked potato or is it too big a step remember waste to head high is our norm. I used to ride a potatonator [till some one walked off with it at the beach one day] but it would max out in a good swell and start tail skipping on me some of the local hotties were still ripping on theres but they rip on anything. thats why I was thinking spitfire Iv'e tried a mates 6/4 but it felt too corky so I was thinking 6/2

Comment

If you are looking at a two board quiver I think there is too much overlap with a Spit. Go Unibrow 6/4 or 6/6 and get the refinement that maximises performance and enjoyment in the better waves you get.

Comment

My original idea was Hell razor 6' 10" serious and Spitfire 6'4" for beaches but saw unibrow in timber and took a punt on 6' 6" based on volume calculator. Since then I have had small beach breaks and gutless 2' at a well known spot. Swell is here now so I'll get it out in 4 to 6 foot. Most Firewires looked to me like big fat arsed bits of foam but everyone on them raves! So I stumped up the cash after I saw the timer tek techno grain on a whim. Well it is a great all round board but more refined than a dominator. It paddles/floats well and feels small too ride. I haven't touched my little fish since getting unibrow. The 6'4" Spitfire has a couple of litres more volume than Unibrow 6'6". In fact I am thinking of a 6'4" spitfire for beaches so maybe you are correct. I like that extra foam to paddle against these fit young fellas not weighed down by age, work and a mortgage and I use big fins to help counter "corky" feel. Good luck with choice!!! I probably go Uni and baked potato 6'1" if money was there.

Comment

Working...
                          X