Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough TimberTEK

Hi Guys

My mate has 5'5 BP in TimberTEK ... he loves it. But after a month the timbertek seems to have rough/fluffy patches in the wood. No great drama but would Nanocoating help this out. I'm assuming the woods drying out between sessions ??

Ta

Daz

I've got two TT boards and it has rough patch on rail where the rail saver rubs. I reckon down the track I'll apply some epoxy to seal timber (already has glass on rail) and polish up. My newer BP seems to have more resin on board. I was told by staff at Volcom shop that newer TT boards were being given double coat - maybe to avoid the fluffy. I await comment from those in the know at Firewire HQ.

Comment

dazbloke that sucks. hopefully they sell some kind of bio resin we can re-apply.

ALOHA!!

Comment

i ordered another 5'7 BP the other day just to get the 5 fin. i was asked if i wanted TT or RF. went w the the RF. i really wudnt want to deal w the TT issues until its all sorted out. the RFBP is plenty good already. dont want to b disappointed, w imperfections.

Comment

I just got my new BP in TT and I must say I am impressed on the look and finish. It's got a real organic look and feel about it. It does appear to have the lightest coat or resin applied to it so time will tell on durability. If it gets hairy or rough ill give to my mate who is a French polisher to repair.

Comment

• fokaiHI
            fokaiHI commented
            Editing a comment
            here's the thing tho, if ur going to drop cash for a FW (not cheap), u shudnt have to wait and see if u have to fix it. that goes for all boards for all shapers. if i custom a local shape for $300-$400, i know the glasser and shaper will produce quality w an imperfection or two, maybe. i know what to expect w RF and FST, very good quality and reliability. i understand that the mass production might b part of the problem, but if ur like me, u know how after ur 1st session and u put the 1st heel pressure in, it sucks. i like the RF Bamboo, but wish for an FST BP.

Originally posted by jambo View Post
          I've got two TT boards and it has rough patch on rail where the rail saver rubs. I reckon down the track I'll apply some epoxy to seal timber (already has glass on rail) and polish up. My newer BP seems to have more resin on board. I was told by staff at Volcom shop that newer TT boards were being given double coat - maybe to avoid the fluffy. I await comment from those in the know at Firewire HQ.
          Jambo.....FW have been putting an extra coat of bio-resin on new models to help with this as well as durability of the deck. I just recieved my TT in the last few weeks and asked first to make sure i was getting a model with the extra coat....time will tell how it goes.

Comment

My Unibrow is stamped techno-grain and is lightly sealed - no timber discoloured yet, but abrasion marks from legrope. Solution: a light sand and a little resin and some sanding and polishing or ignore it as it is only cosmetic. If I thought it was leaking water then I would have the entire board coated. The foam is sealed when timber is glued and bagged, joins glassed and then hot coat or two. So if it needs a little work - so be it! My Baked Potato seems to have what appears to be sand through marks on the bottom - no complaints as I bought it cheap as a damaged but repaired second. It has a lot more resin on the board and feels heavier. They both look great and surf beautifully - so I am very happy. A custom timber veneered board was quoted at around $1200 to $1400 and that really would cause trouble when a kook ran you over!!!!!!! If you want timber then it is the same as a boat - plastic/fibreglass is easy to maintain but timber looks good but needs work. I was pleased at the reduction of pollution in timbertech process as well as the beauty of the product.

Comment

Working...
            X