Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 tiny dings and a little discoloration on TT Spitfire

Aloha

Got my hands on a fresh new TT 6.0 Spitfire a couple of weeks ago (a TechnoGrain actually, one layer of coat)
    I wanted a 5.8 or a 5.10, that is what's recommended for me by the volume calculator, but teh 6.0 was the only one readily available from the official dealer in Bali.
    Awesome deck by the way, a little on the floaty side, which is noticeable even after a 6.6 swallow tail fishy type of stick, but waves catchable almost as easy as on a 7.0 Addvance which is definitely a huge bonus.
    After just a couple of weeks of use there appeared to be a 1 square centimeter bit of coat lost from the top of the board.
    Also slightly dropped the board once recently from a surf rack of about knee height which was a bummer. Not a lot of visible damage from that though.
    I know it's a teeny weeny ding, some wouldn't even call it a ding, but I'm being somewhat OCD about this board occasionally because I like it so much.
    What would you do with such a tiny scratch and the 1 cm2 coatless area? Would you cover it with a bit of epoxy or leave it as is?

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...iledataid=1491

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...iledataid=1492

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...iledataid=1493

I have similar abrasive mark on tail from rail saver rubbing glass/resin that seals rail and it has not removed glass. I would simply use some epoxy to seal after drying out. I am treating my two TT boards like timber boats - seal dings with epoxy as you go and eventually if needed a new hot coat. The timber is fairly tough and there are various colours on each panel and resin should restore colour the way epoxy sealants bring up the grain of timber floors. If really worried get a board glasser to sand lightly and apply another hot coat and polish, but it adds weight and no real strength.
    Enjoy riding the TT - they are great boards!!!

Comment

the discolouration leads me to think that water has gotten into the board. Dry it out, give it a light sand, and apply some epoxy resin. To give it a smoot finish get some plastic cling wrap and put that over the resin, pull tight, then put it in the sun to sure. You'll be able to pull the glad wrap right off and you'll have a smooth, glossy repair job.

If cling wrap is too fiddly, you can also try cutting a clear plastic sandwhich bag in half, and using that instead.

good luck!

ps: before repairing make sure that it is COMPLETELY dry inside the board. Otherwise it may cause a delam.

Comment

I hope I don't have a bunch of problems when I get mine... I might just glass the whole thing with a single 4oz...

Comment

Hi,
          Does anyone know of email address, or a good number to contact FireWire? I have had a TechnoGrain Spitfire for only five months and barely used it due to work schedule, yet now is showing some serious problems, flaws so bad I'm sure its a lemon. Friend of mine checked it out and he was shocked that FireWire produced it. Hard to describe but looks like it was sanded down too much to the point you can put a ding in it with your finger. Tried calling FireWire and using the website contact page and can't get in touch with anyone.
          Extremely disappointed, everyone who checks this board out can't believe the low quality work, worst part is there is no response from FireWire!
          Anyone have a contact that will actually work on this issue?

Comment

My Timber Tech is showing signs of hot coat degrading so email to Firewire at Currumbin - response within 24 hours. Board will go back for inspection,be re-laminated and or replacemed -okay so I will have to fork out to get board couriered to Gold Coast BUT you cannot fault the service. Fixed or replaced try getting that with other board sellers. My newer timber tech board is a lot heavier and lamination/hot coat feels thicker. Maybe there was problem with some early boards but it appears the company will make good the problems. So Spence send them an email and see how you go. Post progress as it is wrong to get ripped off but it is also wrong to not publicise great service. Hence this post!
          P.S. I am not employed by Firewire or any of their retailers.

Comment

Iv got an earlier techno grain model. My decking seems susceptible to denting with sharp objects like a finger nail for example... However iv knocked it over on concrete by accident and not a mark, it's also survived many a sucky shore break close out. The board is also ridiculously light. If these very small dents from sharp objects are not a problem then I'm happy overall, it doesn't feel like it's taken on water, but how far do you have to break into the wood before it becomes something you could suck in water with? Iv been covering every little tiny dent but I'm sure I'm being over the top

Comment

Only a few timbers like Huon Pine are water repellent. Some hardwoods including the paulownia veneer on timber tech may be resistant to water - mine does not take water and is same weight before and after surf. I checked with luggage scales when the hot coat seemed to be rubbing off. The timber does not seemed to have changed colour so far. Anyway the epoxy that bonds it to the blank should also be a barrier to water so a dent in timber on deck should be okay. The problem I have is the same as pictured on this thread, except my board has them where I sit on board as well as around the tail. This has been caused by wetsuit and has removed the hot coat in a couple of months. I recently got a TT Spitfire for smaller waves and it is a lot heavier and has thicker lamination. I was also told that more recent TT boards are getting more than one coat of bio-resin. I still think after seeing and reading reports of splits in decks that the boards may need a sheet of 4 oz laminated from chest area to tail. If bio-resin is going to wear quickly then supply some so owners can maintain waterproof membrane. I don't mind if I have to sand and paint the board but the coat should last more than it has (maybe 20 sessions).
              The newer TT has some rubbing marks but it is not through to the wood - so again I come back to the need to give boards thicker hot coat and eventually it will need to be maintained and if I could get some epoxy bio-resin then I am happy to maintain the board.
              I would fix dents in deck in case of split starting - a little epoxy and glass if necessary. It is timber not fiberglass and will need to be maintained.
              As to the surfing performance of Unibrow - no question one of the best boards I have ridden in 40 years of surfing - and it has survived some horrible beltings. So it is a great board with a finish coat that is poor. Anyway a few days at Currumbin Factory should see it right - I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                From the construction breakdown page on the website it sounds like the deck is laminated now.
                I really liked the weight and feel of the original TR/TG boards. Now they have basically the same feel in weight and in the hand as FST, but I'd say the wood has a snappier response that the H80 foam in the FST boards.
                I think if they wanted to keep the light weight and organic feel, going to the oiled finish rather than hot coated would be the way forward. Easier to reapply frequently. Grubby at retail though.
                Splitting the wood might still be an issue too.

I was unaware that TT boards were oiled or is that the Bio-Resin mentioned on technology page? My recently bought board (Spitfire) has a similar feel to FST board but the Unibrow is branded Timber Grain and has a similar feel but not as smooth. Some rough and dry patches underneath and where abrasion has taken place - anyway I and surf shop owner have be assured that it will be rectified. Try getting that service on a PU board with a weak glass job!
              As far as weight goes - choppy conditions play havoc with super light boards so I would rather the weight and strength as it will give the board a longer life (less landfill) and punch through chop. I also think that a thicker resin coat allows smooth finish or a wet rub finish for those who believe it is faster.
              From this forum and I believe deck punctures may be a problem but what impact is the cause? Fiberglass dents but veneer will crack if foam gives way so what force has been applied to crack the deck. Any reports of cracks on bottom of board? If not then it has to do with feet, knees, landing on board after air or wipe out.
              My boards have not cracked on deck and I am heavy footed and do not use stomp pads. Mind you the only air I get is on an aeroplane!
              Do not get me wrong I really like the look, feel and most of all the performance of the Timer Tech range.

Comment

I am glad your problem has been resolved. Interesting that you feel they are less floaty as my 6'6" (which is going back) is right on the lower volume for a fat old guy like me so maybe I should upsize if it is replaced. Your photos could be my Unibrow as the wear pattern is almost identical. Mine has only lasted a couple of months and is off to Currumbin for Firewire to sort out. So I am limited to a 6'4" TT Spitfire for a while so I hope it stays under 4 foot.
                I do think that Firewire are a reliable company and look after customers - sometimes it is difficult to get the message to the person who can deal with problem. I got a response from Australian sales manager within 24 hours. I hope that you rip on them as such good looking boards deserve it. I have written it repeatedly that I think that boards will need more upkeep than more traditional construction but the early models in timber grain/tech with thin hot coat just were not up to it. However, problem resolved, boards replaced/ re-laminated and everyone is happy! I'll post in a week or so about my board and outcome.

Comment

Phill did you get one I the new style bps with tougher construction ?

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah it's definitely got a thicker coat. In a way I'm a little bummed because the thing that made me sell my SP and order a TT BP was the organic look and feel of the wood and the light weight.
                    The solid smooth coat is heavier, and it has more if a veneer/laminate look and feel rather than having that rustic wooden feel and appearance that won me over.

Better than the risk of problems, but sounds like yours is holding up with no problems.

Yes I was impressed with look, feel and lightness but am now very disappointed with the hot coat which has worn off in less than three months. There are lots of stories about "PERCEIVED" weaknesses in the technology. Hot coat problems - is coat too thin or is super sap bio-resin weak? Splitting and cracking of timber or unexplained dings - delamination problems or is 3mm of ply over 1lb foam not strong enough to support foot pressure during surfing? I owned a Surftech Ultra flex and it was weaker than any PU board I had ever owned. Polystyrene blanks are not as resistant to impact so your foot at hop up will have a heavy impact. So has anyone got new style laminate on Timber without wear and abrasion or impact dings from feet? I am not talking about dings caused by impact in wipe out or landing airs, but just everyday standing up. Or should I simply go back to the more proven Rapid Fire and FST? Looking good means nothing if you're sanding dings more than catching waves!

Comment

This is probably the way they should have been built in the first place - a pity to spoil a reputation by releasing sub-standard product. Hopefully mine will by replaced and problem resolved. I would think that the TT were probably stronger with top and bottom veneers. A paulownia sheet is quite flexible before breaking and impact resistant if foam has not delaminated so I think you're correct about the strength. And strength of board usually equals longevity. Surftech boards have strength but feel stiff and corky and I hope that this newer lamination hasn't ruined that unique feel of firewire boards.

Comment

• jambo
                      jambo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My TT unibrow has been replaced - so have faith in the technology and Firewire's speed at fixing problems.

In a coastal town in Australia there are numerous shapers and it is difficult to avoid the "crappy Asian made pop-out" sentiment when this happens. Particularly disappointing as I was the one hassling the local surf shop to get them and now it has proved a problem. It has put a little cloud over potential sales for him. I take your point about coming through for customers as the best you will get from most smaller set ups is a new board discounted if you don't like the quality of the last one.
                    Early adopters of the new often do encounter problems that weren't seen in r and d. The shapes are proven winners in other construction and the idea was minimum use of toxic materials but the ocean is harsh on most materials - anyway I am off to drop mine at the shop to be trucked to the Gold Coast to be re-laminated or replaced!

Comment

Phill, We can do a compare some time when I'm down for a surf your way next. As far as I can see its holding up well. Maybe I havnt used it as much as some people on here but I must have logged at least 60 hours or more over August on it. Only probs have been ting microspoic holes and cracks, I brush resin over them but not sure if they are a problem or not, the wood doesn't change and it's as light as ever, time will tell I guess.... Seeing the cams down west the last couple of weeks has been torture, looks like you guys have been scoring way to much!

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, it's been good lately. About time as summer was very slow! Next week looks promising too! I've only ridden the BP once so far as the waves have been pumping so it's been Vanguard all the way :D
                    Working...
                    X