X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechnoGrain major problem...

Would appreciate some help from FireWire or anyone who knows good contact info to get in touch with FireWire to solve a serious problem with my new TechnoGrain Spitfire. Only used this board 8 times and the bottom has many spots so thin you could easily put a ding in it with your finger! Hard to describe....closest thing would be it looks like it was sanded to thin from the factory (didn't notice this problem when first purchased it). Has two dings in it and I didn't even feel it hit anything. The local board-repair expert told me this board is "no good.. weak... easily damaged". I purchased this board cause the rep told me it was 5x stronger than normal boards and you could throw it "out of the back of the truck and it wouldn't ding... can throw it around your house like chopsticks with no problem". Definitely not the case with this board. I have never felt it hit anything, and now doubt I could even sell it as a used board; definitely a lemon that should be taken care of.
    Anyone have suggestions?
    thanks!

throw it out of a truck and not get dinged.... meh

Comment

Has the veneer delaminated from foam? Or is the resin coat thin? I have two timbertech/techno grains and so far so good. They do not have that lustre of a new PU board but that could be gained by a coat of glass and resin but this will add weight. 5 times stronger - that is a bullshit claim. The timber may resist impact like fin chop but what about a thick lip snapping pawlonia skin, after all it is 3mm. Canoes use 5mm timber. This may be a dud blank - have the sellers of board done anything? As a fellow customer I think that IF Firewire are at fault and take no action then it reflects badly.
      People are spending money on an item that should be designed to withstand NORMAL usage. If I snap mine in crunchy low tide pit of doom then fine my loss but 8 surfs and then a delamination - not good enough - keep us posted on the outcome if any!!!!

Comment

Appreciate the posts...so far I've only received an email asking me for details, quite disappointing customer service to this point. Will keep updating this when I hear something back from them.

Comment

Take some detailed pictures of your board and email those.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Hi Josh BL. Who should I email them to? I used the form on the main website and have had no response!

Comment

Yes, what Phill said.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

im a firm believer in new tech and think highly of the FST and enjoy the RF w the BP and ADD, not so much w the VG. boards r going to have blemishes and such, but ur right, if ur going to market new tech @ $700+, i expect the board to b w/o blemishes and bad craftsmanship. FW is not cheap but arent the most expensive, but the quality control needs to b up to par w this new tech. i dont have one, but have gone thru 6 FW boards or so and have enjoyed them all. i hope ur taken care of and go FST w the SF.

Comment

Ya, fokaiHI, I totally agree with you. Should be hearing from FW soon. Hoping customer service comes through!

Comment

Hi Guys So what's the deal with the TimberTek....really looking for a new board for this winter, I've had my RF Spitfire for a year (3rd one) and looking for a change to the TimberTek construction or V2 Rocket but the V2 needs to be as versatile as the Spitfire really. Anyways I don't mind a board that dents etc as long as its not super soft, I love the RF for rubbish waves. Is the TimberTek stronger than the Rapidfire?

Comment

Still waiting to see what FW customer service is going to do with my situation. My opinion:
                    If the problem is the first batch of TT is not up to the standard we all expect of FW (and the price!); well then its only reasonable that those who's boards proved to be flawed receive a fair compensation (refund or new board). Not too much to ask from such a company as FW.
                    I also took extremely good care of my TT Spitfire and only used it 8 times, so definitely should not be having issues of weak spots throughout the bottom.
                    Will let you know what customer service does... should be hearing something in a few days. Lets see what kind of company FW really is...

Comment

Originally posted by OceanMindedBoy
                      Hey endless_winter, the TimberTek is stronger than the rapidfire. The deal with TT is that the first batch barely had a coat of epoxy. I have a 506 spitfire and a 501 baked potato, both in TT. I used them a lot through the summer and experienced wear of the coat with both of them and the spitfire got a hairline crack under the nose. I take extreme care of my boards so that shouldn't have happened. I emailed cris and he's working on my case, meanwhile I took the spitfire to the shop where I got it. It's being sent for a fix or replacement. By the way, there was another board being sent back for the very same reason. When I was there I saw the new batch of TT and they felt just like the FST. I don't care about the weight, honestly I think the TT needed that weight because they are a little too floaty. When I walked in the store I was ready to give up TT. I was willing to trade my boards for some credit towards FST models but after seeing the new batch of TT I walked out with a preorder of a unibrow 510 for winter use. I have to say I'm impressed with the customer service of firewire. Another reason to keep buying from them. You should definitely get the TT spitfire, it can be used in a very wide range of waves. The V2 looks awesome as well but because of its shape I believe it mostly covers chest high waves and up unless you get a bigger size than it should be.
                      Cheers mate for you're response. Yeah the Spitfire definitely does alot for me as a one board quiver. Was going to drop back down to a 5'10 as I had one before and can't really tell much difference between that and my 6'0 and these boards should be ridden small as possible etc.... As for the whole first batch thing I understand that, I've seen alot of different models especially the early ones and theirs been some interesting finishes that I've seen....I guess its teething problems and fine tuning! Dont want to upset the moderators but has anyone surfed or knows someone that has used a CI Weirdo Ripper? Just curious really as how versitile it is? They should do a compare tool with other brands too

Comment

How do we know which ones are the newer batch then? Is it anything with the TimberTek stamp? Really keen on one now and just in time for a trip to Spain

Comment

I just received mine. It's a lot lighter than my FST SP. Similar to over FST shortboards I guess, maybe a touch lighter. I will weigh it. My FST SP was pretty heavy.

As far as I can see there's no all over lamination, just a more solid hotcoat. Maybe it's there and I can't see it though.

Comment

Working...
                          X