Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versatraction full deck grips look great on Timbertek.

Just brought home my new timbertek baked potato. Put a full deck Versatraction grip kit (funboard kit) and you can barely see its there when the board is dry. It will become even more translucent when wet. Used Versatraction on a number of boards. On my carbon fibre (black) DVS boards it meant no wax to get hot and melt in the Qld sunshine. Love it as I don't even bother using a board bag because there's no wax getting spread all over the place. Took some shots and will try to upload.
    http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8390/bkv5.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by cuttlefish; 09-19-2013, 05:25 AM.

And the all important fin set up.
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4020/6b6a.jpg

Comment

• thierry
      thierry commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, which are those?
      Thanks.

One more shot just for luck.
    http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8927/ti9q.jpg

Comment

Looks awesome. Mine should be here any day now. How's the grip on that stuff? I don't think there's anywhere to buy it over here anyway mind.

Comment

I used to have them post it over to me before there was an Australian distributor. Very happy I can now get it posted to me in 2 days flat.

Comment

Edited my post and it ate my reply. Anyway, the grip is great. Just takes a little getting used to. I'm a leadfoot and I have found it also reduces heel denting. I retrofitted it to a Surftech Takayama scorpion I have which had a few small heel dents ( like you get with fst decks) in the front foot area and tail. Put on a normal tail pad (only because I had one spare) and then Versatraction on the rest of the deck. Six months later after applying it I can't see any more new heel dents, only the existing ones.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            sounds good. not sure how it would be in the cold though. i bought a similar product to try but it didn't feel like it would provide enough grip so i never stuck it on.

Thiery, fronts are True Ames CI twins (Machados) which are the same template as the Futures CI Robber Machado twins except the Futures have more cant and an inside foil. The True Ames are flat foil inside. The rears are Indo fins fcs tabbed version of Futures controller rears. I have the Indo fins controller fronts but prefer the looser feel of the CI twins in front for more vertical turns and better release off the top. When the waves are better I can use smaller sized, normal raked rear quad fins to get the hold in the tail for wrap around cutbacks if the controller rears are letting the tail slide too much at speed.

Comment

Versatraction, very interesting. I love my XM Clear Grip but always lookin for somethong new.

Bumped into someone using the XM stuff, they hate it!

Comment

That looks great on the Timbertek cuttlefish! I actually had to scroll back up and look at the picture twice because at first it just looked like a waxless deck haha. Do you ever have any problems with it peeling off?

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Hi Josh, Had it on several boards and no problem with it coming off. When you apply it you just have to line all the panels up and can help to use some tape to keep the panels in place prior to taking off the backing plastic film and applying them. They are always oversized and so I mark them with a pencil on one panel, trim it then ovelay it on the opposite panel and trace the outline and then trim it. When applying it you can use a plastic ruler to squeegee across the traction panel, a bit at a time and peeling the backing plastic as you go. Takes a bit of patience not to get air bubbles and if you get one that refuses to be squeegeed out you can always peel the panel up off the deck and re-apply. The really good thing is you can buy a sup/longboard kit thats for a 10' board and get 2 shortboards completely tractioned instead of buying one shorter board kit each time. So no more dirty wax adding weight to your board and taking away from the asthetic beauty of the timbertek. Again the added bonus is the panels apparently helping minimise heel denting. If you think about it they are like having another layer of cloth without any appreciable extra weight and helping absorb foot pressure over a wider area.

Comment

• Josh BL
                  Josh BL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. Thanks for the review. Looks super clean, nicely done!

- Firewire Intern Josh

The board looks sick as with no wax, liking the look of that fin combo. How does it ride with that setup?

Comment

Hi pMorgan, scroll back up the page for an earlier post which gives you the fin reasoning. I had a 5'11" rapidfire baked quad for a while last year and rode it with the above fins in Futures. Now I have a 5 plug baked in fcs I can really cut loose with the experimentation. i have a lot of different template fcs fins. crv curves, Indo controllers, full carbon fibre twins, Stretch quad, Sunny Garcia thrusters, H2 large fronts, Scarfini quads, bonzer sides and so on....fun, fun, fun.

Comment

Good looking board,now I want one myself jejeej. How heavy is that pad?

Comment

Fly away light. Compared to a wax job it is nothing.

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Was gonna say, I bet it's lighter than my wax jobs!

How is it grip wise? Does it work well when you're wearing a wettie?

Comment

Working...
                      X