X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimberTek V2?

I was just looking at the Firewires at my local surf shop and noticed that the Timbertek boards have changed. Looks like they have much more glass over the wood. Very smooth. And they are no longer as light as they once were. Closer to FST weight. The salesman said that they had a lot of boards come back with splits in the wood, and that Firewire was making improvements. Is there any official info on this from Firewire? Any experiences with this new setup? Thanks.

Thats very cool to know. Although I'm not surprised as FW is pretty consciences and stand behind there products. A surfer I know got a replacement board ASAP upon having his board start to split. I can picture other shapers response;

"Eh bro, bro sorry man bro... dude I dunno what to say"

... hits a bong...

"Eh bro, better luck next time, hey I'll shape you a very special board at a sort of a discount, sort of".

- aurf

Comment

Not glass. Resin. Bio resin.

Comment

I don't see the benefit in just adding more resin. Surely there's no strength in resin without the fibreglass? Unless the wood it's self is acting as fibreglass?

Comment

A hot coat to keep the wood veneer bonded and stop it splitting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I doubt I am.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Could do. But there was already a hot coat. Adding a thicker one doesn't seem hugely beneficial apart from acting like a lacquer to protect the wood from scraped etc.
            I'm probably wrong. I'll have mine in a couple of days so I'll see how it compares to the early Technograin boards I've fondled.

I believe that the extra coat gives smoother feel and seals better around the knots in the grain. The ocean is a hard place for a piece of timber - it will suck water so it needs sealing. Timber in bathrooms get 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane sealer so a timber surfboard will need sealing. I have a Unibrow (single coat) and Baked Potato (double coat). I am pleased with both but they will need to be recoated the at some stage. Scratches, abrasion from rail saver and tiny particles of sand in the waves will erode the resin after all it smashes rocks to make beaches. So like a timber boat my boards will need more maintaining than a fibreglass or plastic boat.
          I think that the fibre of the timber veneer will act as the strength (replacing cloth) and timber rail provides the strength usually supplied by a stringer. Both of my boards are about 3 months into their lives and have no heel or knee dents but have rubbing marks from leg rope's rail saver, and strangely from wetsuit where I sit and rest my arm. These look like some one has buffed the board with cutting compound or fine sand paper. No water stains evident yet. A friend has had mould grow on the timber when board was kept in bag and this will need sanding and recoating to remove so even if dry the salt on board will attract moisture and if warm...........
          So my tips - rinse it in fresh water - do not bag unless necessary or board and rope are really dry.
          Check for water stains and be prepared to apply a hot coat or get someone to do it. The boards ride very well, look beautiful and deserve a little bit of care.

Comment

Very cool info Jambo, very cool indeed. The fresh water rinse seems to be helping my boards big time. And I never bag em but do sock em from time to time. The re coating is very interesting, wonder what kind of coat a non white RF boards take?

Comment

If you look into Grant Newby's work on Paulowinia timber veneered boards you'll see he started building eps foam boards with vacuum bagged Paulowinia skins that used no resin at all. This is where Firewire got their technograin build from.

Comment

Working...
              X