Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Baked potato fin set ups...show us yours and I'll show you mine! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked potato fin set ups...show us yours and I'll show you mine!

Here's a couple to get the thread rolling.

True Ames CI twin fronts and Indo controller rears.
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4020/6b6a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      I surfed my. TBP503 for the first time today. Conditions where chest high with sets up to head high, perfectly clean, lined up with steep sections and flatter sections.
      I ran it with PG5 fronts and K2.1 quad rears with a nubster. It held well through turns and on steep walls and even in a little barrel but I really felt like it lacked drive. Maybe it was after surfing a Vanguard for so long and getting used to the crazy speed and driving off of the super straight rail line, but I felt like I wasn't getting any projection off the bottom turn and got caught behind on a couple of waves that the Vanguard would have killed.
      I think as I adapted and surfed more off the fins and tail rather than trying to use the rail line things improved and I had a few really fun waves on it.
      It's a much more responsive board than the Sweet Potato and holds a much better line through turns. The TimberTek construction felt nice and lively. Light with a quick response closer to rapidfire than the FST style dampening in my opinion. Perfect for a small wave board.

• cuttlefish
      cuttlefish commented
      Editing a comment
      Try upping the size and/or base length of your fronts
      Drop the size of the rears or a more upright template to maintain a loose tail.
      But at the end of the day its a baked spud versus a Tomo planing hull so....

• kbsurfer
      kbsurfer commented
      Editing a comment
      hey cuttle ...not trying to stalk you haha...but could you check out my thread on the pnator forum...could sure use your input...will have to make a decision tomorrow by noon I believe...thanks

Dick Van Straalen, Shapers Australia, flex keehttp://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4875/dg5f.jpg

I've got plenty more to try...

Comment

aloha cuttlefish ! just started using fcs crv fins for outside & von sol guitar picks on inside & they make my 6'4" spitfire tt shriek ! sk54z

Comment

Just so happen to have a set of those crv's and need one more lil' fcs knubster and I'm onto that combo to trial. Good stuff. Tried Sunny Garcia fronts and Scarfini med quad rears (all flatsided fins) in ankle snappers this morning. Were ok but wanted more release off the top in the gutless waves hence put in the DVS keels to try tomorrow am.

Comment

You could probably run a small centre fin in the thruster plugs when the waves were good in combo with the crv/Von sols. A shaper I know told me to try the two knubsters in the rear quad plugs with thruster fins (albeit small ones for my 90+ kgs) as he reckons they work great on one of his board models I own that has a deep single concave.

Comment

Tried the CRV's and a PC core sized GX trailer in tiny 1'ers. Even the grommets were struggling. Felt good, loose enough and fee flowhttp://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7160/xvoy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.using.

Comment

Next up are the Stretch PC quads.
              http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2816/wt9b.jpg

Comment

• pmorgan
                pmorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you find her with the strech fins. I have these and really like them on my PN but not tried on the baked yet.

Can't help myself pmorgan, I've walked out to the shed last night. Taken the baked down out of the rack and unscrewed the Stretches without even trying them. The descent into micro wave madness that had me trying the Crv's in the photo above was still gripping me. So I have dug up a set of Shapers Australia twin tab keel fins and put them in the baked. My only nod to sanity was also screwing in a knubster in the back thruster plug. The forecast for today says 0.5-1' yet again. The baked could well stay dry.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                My TT BP should be delivered tomorrow :D

I am every bit as bad I keep changing my setup looking for some sort of mad fin combo that is going to be amazing. It's not working. But pretty happy with my current set up which is Aussies finest mr MR in the front with a set of m3 Ul in the rear. Ill post a pic tomorrow.

Comment

Once I've tried the keels I also have a set of carbon fibre GTF-1 (at least I think thats what they're called without looking at them) which are similar to an MR to put in as fronts. Probably leave them for a better sized day along with the Stretches too since the cf fins have no flex. Need to try my Indo controllers as a full set. Running my old rf baked with futures controllers was ok but as I've said before with a retro feel. The Indo controllers lack the Futures inside foil of the front fins but happen to have more flex so could well be very good in small waves. Its basically un-rideable today so testing will have to wait.

Comment

Here's a shot of the keels.
                  Just looks faaaasssst.
                  Not the best placement but gotta try it anyway.
                  http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5161/3v0u.jpg

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stick them in the quad plugs and get loose!

I reckon they could go quite well in the rear quad plugs considering the baked potato has Simmons DNA.

Comment

Just took delivery of my new TT BP. Within 10 minutes of unpacking it I caught the rail on the corner of my table and put a puncture through the wood on the rail. So pissed with myself... Luckily I've got some wood filler that's close to a perfect match and once that's set I'll put a patch of fibreglass on that area and once it's sanded in I don't expect it'll even be visible... Even so >: (

Comment

• pmorgan
                      pmorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's shit. I did something similar when getting ready to repair the nose ding on my mini driver I knocked the board off the workmate into my drum kit. It punched a hole in the tail. Double repair. Aghhhhhhhh.

• Matt_s
                      Matt_s commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Board looks sick Phill ! its been a while coming you must be stoked..can you put regular FCS fins in it? wish I had those plugs in mine. Ashame about the ding, im amazed I havent puncutred mine yet, im terrible with dinging it whilst out of the water. Mines on its way to the algarve with me for a week at the end of october, cant wait!, gutted im not down this week and working instead, seem some NICE pictures up of the waves down SW.

Thinking about a vanguard or v4 in fst with fcs2 plugs in the future

The current set up is the m3 rear it's fast and tons of control. Not tried the twin with nub, I ran that setup on my PN for a while and liked it in small surf. The picture with the small rainbow fins in the rear was washy and not as good to drive off. But very loose.

Comment

Working...
                    X