X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub moon

Anyone had a ride on one yet? Felt up a 7'er that's in my local surshop today. Rails and a tailkick that mean business for a funshape. Interesting.

pics.
    http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7730/zrgl.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    nose.
    http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6811/ff3v.jpg

tail.
    http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6536/k4mp.jpg

bottom.
    http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6718/duto.jpg

more.
    tail kick deck up.
    http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7126/zxut.jpg

nose to tail.
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8971/w6si.jpg

Comment

.oops..dims.
      http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4981/ynd9.jpg

Comment

This is of course true. Backed up by the description on the website blurb. Where the submoon could find a spot in my quiver is in the current conditions at my local beachbreak. Pitching takeoffs in 2-3'ers that then run straight into deeper water and losing power with the odd one reforming to give some workable wall. The glide of a longer board to get in that bit earlier on the takeoff and some rocker to handle the drop. Rails that have bite and a tail that allows a quick turn back up the face for a top turn before the wave fattens out and then has length to keep its glide across the deeper water. But with reasonably low volume to allow duckdiving a few in a row easily rather than getting thrashed.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          They look like real fun boards for slower points! I'm liking the look of the rocker and foil. Maybe in 20 years...

Btw...this board is at Beachbeat's Caloundra store if anyone local wants to check it out. Petition Sparky to turn it into a demo. I bags first surf on it. Problem with that is I'll no doubt end up buying it anyway!

Comment

The smallest SM size shown on the webpage is 7'6 , the one in the picture is a 7'0. Is there new sizing available for the TT version?

Comment

The guys at Beachbeat reckon there's a 6'8" as well. No idea of dims.

Comment

So web is not up to date as two are smaller than 7'6" - 7' and 6'8" - because I'd love to see dimensions. 7'- looks perfect but would a baked potato do same in small slop and whip around quicker.
              Small town in Australia means long drive or order from specs so anyone seen specs of smaller submoons??????

Comment

Give Firewire at Currumbin a call.

Comment

I've decided to become a guinea pig and take a trip to the moon. After seeing Gravity last week I'm after for some extra terrestial exploration of the aquatic variety. So one of my fine quiver has reluctantly been handed over to be sold through my local surf shop to help finance the purchase (and stave off a beheading by the minister of war and finance) and a 7'6" has been ordered.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There's some decent Sub Moon photos on boardshop.co.uk too.

Latest update is i've flip-flopped and decided to run with the 7'er which is in the photos above.

Comment

Cuttlefish,
                    We seem to live under the same form of government. I have had to sacrifice three loved boards to avoid a bullocking from "she who must be obeyed" in order to add the sub moon to my collection of timber boards (maybe 7 boards is excessive). I was considering 7'6" but think the 7' may be better. I haven't seen one but I believe the rocker is more fun board than flatter mal. Is this correct as it will seal it as 7' if correct. Your thoughts or feedback on board would be appreciated.

Comment

The nose flip and tail kick looked fine to me when I saw the board in person and I tried to show that in my pics. Looking at the pics of the 7'6" on the Secretspot UK website the nose rocker looks high but then it may not even be a 7'6" as the dims/vols seem to be a bit askew on the websites in the UK. My mate down the Gold coast saw the 8'ish submoon prototype under-going testing at Greenount on a 3' day a while back and said the surfer riding it as absolutely flying across the wave and surfing it very progressively. He was suprised to find out he board was 8'. When my mate talked to the Firewire crew at Currumbin today about a demo they said the shorter ones (6'8" and 7') like a good wave. It sure doesn't have the blocky rails of an uber-groveller. I'm hoping I can have the option of riding the 7'er from my local shop as a demo before commiting to buy (wouldn't we all love that). Hope this helps.

Comment

If that was Taylor Jensen then I saw him down here testing one out on beachies and points (he could ride an old door and look good). I am torn between 7 and 7'6'' to take up slack days - I have 6'4" Spitfire and 6'8" Unibrow. Recently sold a 7ft McTavish and need something similar. Tried a 5'8" Baked Potato and could not get it working - felt slow and prefer Spitfire. But I like a long board for those really small days but really hate anything over 8'. Any submoonies feedback please.

Comment

Quid pro quo (or however you spell it). You tell me about the 6'8" unibrow and I'll tell you about the submoon 7'6" I rode yesterday. Ok, I'll tell you about the submoon anyway. I went down to he Gold coast and yesterday a 7'6" submoon for a paddle. Conditions were marginal to say the least. High tide and barely breaking knee to waist high (on the occ sets) that would run into deep water and fizzle out. So only a chance to take off and get one or two turns before going into forward trim as the wave died in deeper water. The board paddled well and was easy enough to catch waves. Didn't get a feel for the board in such ordinary waves but it didn't make either myself or my mate who also rode it want to rush out and buy one. I recall the first wave in similar conditions I had on a demo sweet potato when the board exhibited its prodigious glide into deep water nothingness. My search continues....and maybe I should just buy another 6'2" potatonator.

Comment

Working...
                          X