Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unibrow - I had a 6'6" Unibrow and it was a wonderful board in all conditions. Lower rails on board all over so very domed deck. performed beautifully on 6' and not shabby on beach breaks. However Lamination problems meant it went back and no replacement available so I opted for a 6'8" which is unused at present. I reckon the extra volume won't hurt on crowded days with getting on that little bit before the traffic jam! We might get slightly better winds in summer being south of Goldie but swell and banks will not co-operate to launch. I think the Unibrow is better than most Hybrids in the range (I have 6'4" Spitfire) as it is finer all round, less nose and tail width. So it works a lot better when wave has push but can be used in slop. I preferred it to Baked Potato which lasted two weeks before being sold! If I could only have one board it would be Unibrow - quad in small and thruster over 4' . Always with large scarfini fins.
    My concern with submoon is the rocker may not be flat enough to glide on really small days. Some post have already mentioned this as a positive for good days and inversely a negative on small days.

Comment

I was able to get it into longer trims into the fullness of the inshore gutter inbetween the outer and inner bank in yesterdays waves despite its nose rocker. It just didn't light a spark in me. Having said that there wouldn't be much that could in the waves we were trying to surf it in. My mate's go to is a CI sperm whale (groveller) and he reckons he wouldn't normally bother with the waves we were surfing yesterday. I had a 6'8" surftech takayama scorpion with me which he rode as well when we swapped. He's lighter than me and was able to get a couple all the way into the beach on the submoon whereas I was restricted to the outer bank. At least now there's a 7'6" demo available now. Go grab it and have a surf on it.

Comment

Just picked up the submoon in 7 foot x 21.5 x 2.75 inches and what a tail. I thought I was getting a board to replace a Mctavish carver, but it is more fish crossed with mal and some HP DNA thrown in to the mix. It really looks mini-mal nose and high performance tail. Small gutless waves so I'll report back tomorrow. If it works on the present swell it will work on anything!!!!

Comment

Btw Jambo I hate to tell you this since you've already sold your BP but I hit upon (for me) the magic fin set up on the BP which turned the boards performance from night to day!

Comment

I don't think changing fins would have helped me - I simply could not get the thing to go. It paddled so slowly, one day I had BP and Unibrow on same waves - no worries UB but with BP - over with lip - missing waves. It was like my timing was so completely out I kooked every wave yet unibrow was fine. No explanation other than I could see what was going on due to longer nose of board and could adjust paddle etc accordingly. I had the submoon out in crap - waist high, onshore and low tide yet managed to catch without scrambling and it runs like mal with feet forward and yet move a little back and I think it will be interesting on juicy waves. I'll let you know!

Comment

Sub moon looks interesting, keen to hear reports from some decent waves, btw jambo I had the exact same experience with the sp and bp, could not get them to move, perform in average conditions they were designed for, had a couple of great sessions, in 3-4' point waves with some push, I find the spit and the uni work great in all conditions,,,,,,, funny how some shapes work for some and not for others.
              Last edited by suncoastslop; 12-19-2013, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• cuttlefish
                cuttlefish commented
                Editing a comment
                Viva Firewire demos.
                I was all set to pull the trigger on a submoon. Rode it and knew it was not suited to me. Same with the El feugo. Demoed it after reading Nev rave about it. Couldn't catch waves with it and couldn't coax any speed out of it.
                As soon as you hit the water on some boards you know that all the internet props in the world won't make it work for you. The other thing is riding boards that are niche boards in all conditions will expose the boards shortcomings but is just because we ask too much of its design.
                Viva la quiver.

I think you're right. Also I thought the fin placement made it impossible to find a comfortable stance with board's sweet spot as well as a complete inability to paddle on to a wave. Submoon has a fairly deep double concave that creates a spine in the last foot or so of board. The tail lift on submoon is unusual - thin, very radical and reminded me of Greg Webber's boards going back a decade or so but with a spine. Cannot wait to ride a punchy wave. It handles slop very well.

Comment

So how'd it go in better waves?

Comment

Still no swell above 1 foot - frustrating as no power means you cannot judge the board. I think the rocker will not suit those looking for that traditional feel and ease of catching a green, spilling waves. I'll post after a 2foot plus session!

Comment

Sorry to report still only been in 2 foot wind swell so no real evidence of boards capabilities but it is not a mal, it can cut a straight line on slow "wave" but seems to be more at home in the pocket and changing angles quickly. Report on full potential will have to wait a month as I am sitting at an airport on route to northern Japan to "surf" some powdery "waves". Why can't long point breaks have chairlifts instead of a paddle? Cos there would be even more rubberneck kooks and wannabes in the water!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

haha reminds me of a superb bit of trolling i saw on a forum once in regards to south straddie here on the gold coast. people were getting angry about the gu that taxis across the seaway and the massive increase in crowds, another parrty managed to convince them he was going to be offering somesort of jet ski or helicopter lifts outback hahaha

Comment

Nothing like a complete hoax - totally unbelievable to get people frothing at the gills!!!! Razor blades self sharpening in pyramids was a great one. A faked crocodile photo in a northern NSW river on the front page of local newspaper also got people going, except the date 1st April should have given it away. Maybe we need a bogus study showing negatives of surfing to persuade people to stay on land. Perhaps faked box jellyfish attacks -no that won't work - a recent shark biting a fellow local's board did not clear the water. Older locals simply removed legs from water and enjoyed a higher wave count. Me, I stayed on the beach.

Comment

Back to the Sub Moon...
                          Took the new 8'7" sub moon out in 3ft hollow fast waves, (Im 5'7" 74Kgs) expecting a "longboard" experience and the thing just ripped!! off the lip, quick cutbacks, a whole lot of short board stuff from the back foot and the board was really fast, when the wave fattened I up could walk up the front, trim & cheat 5... it felt sharper than, say, a 7' fun board. I might have been a little disappointed because I thought I had bought an agile longboard but it felt like a shortboard that was maybe 6" too big for me. Next day... slow, weak, 2 foot & clean waves and 15 guys (& girls) out on longboards, the Sub Moon got waves at least as easily as everyone else but I wound up with a few more.. quicker to turn around a position in the line up, on these waves it behaved very much like a plank, a lot of trimming & fading, a little walking and some cheeky 5s.. The kind of longboard thing I thought I was looking for, when its too small or weak for my short board.
                          Nev's shape is sophisticated, refined, it can carve, go quite vertical, its maneuverable and fast, you can probably see that in the details of the shape but the really surprising thing is due to its light weight / low mass, and therefore vastly reduced inertia, the 8'7" behaves unlike anything I could have imagined. it can rip! and it can be very satisfying to ride in "longboard" style. It's very different to a fun board, try the larger sizes, Its amazing. It seems to get rid of that "I wish I was on my shortboard" remorse when thing pick up...

Comment

I think you are correct and I should/could have gone longer than 7'. The board has a dual personality - Malibu cruiser and off the tail like a performance fish - and sliding feet back selects the mode/mood. I am very impressed with my submoon and have only had waves that you would not bother with on it. Can't wait to get some decent waves on it in February.

Comment

wow, that's some major rocker!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                              X