Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really unusual in the last foot of the board - no real waves on it yet and hopefully I'll have something to write about in a couple of weeks. Not surfing at the moment as I am sliding in Hokkaido's powder and trying to eat my way through the Japanese fishing fleet's catch. Maybe I should have bought the 7'6" model???

Comment

Not sure how much I can add... just got a 7'6" sub moon as my first board. Been out once so far - 2-3 ft, had a blast. Easily caught waves. Love reading this thread hoping to see how much people love the board. Local shop says they have sold a handful so far and have heard nothing but awesome feedback.

-Jim

Comment

Glad to hear you love it Jim - love what mine has done so far but I want some high tide little beachies or point at 2-3 when you would use a grovel board. That means the spitfire may need to find a new home. I'll be able to comment more in a week if I don't bust myself up on a tree or get lost in the back country!
        Just arrived home and had some lovely 2-3 foot beach breaks on the high tide - the submoon performs beautifully. Paddles in easily, then use your back foot and it is fast and very loose. Paddles like a mini-mal but surfs like a performance fish. That extreme tail rocker and concaves create a great board - thanks Nev!!!!
        Last edited by jambo; 01-30-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I have an 8'7" submoon......In the last two weeks we have had some pretty decent surf here in North San Diego so got a chance to put it to the test. 1. 67 liiters of volume makes it floaty 2. It's still a longboard....but with performance features. 3. It's pretty fast in trim 4. Bottom tu r n's good. Doesn't come off the lip for shit and cut backs....forget about it. 5. Easy to paddle into waves. 6. Nice n light for trudging up cliffs. 7. The kooks think the wood grain look is cool. 8. Over priced in my opinion for what it is.....which is a glorified funboard. Not a classic longboard and definitely not a shortboard. 9. If it was $500 or less.....no brainer...add it to the quiver. $800 hmmm.....nope. I bought this board because I was trying to send my 9 ft flex flight firewire in to get the leaks around the fin boxes repaired........which firewire rep declined to fix.....which is another story in itself.

Comment

I do not think any 8'7" board can ever ride like a short board - Mctavish, Greenough and Young knew this in the 1960s. The submoon at 7 foot is a great board for surf too small or gutless for performance boards. It is no more unable to come off the top than any wide fish and their potential to catch the rail at the nose. So when did "fun boards" become less worthy? "Classic longboard" - a quick look at the rocker should have buried that idea. The plan shape is not a short board so it is obviously a tricked up fun board! So why is that less valued? Seems to me you are a little annoyed at you perception of a lack of service.

Comment

Hi, new to the forum. I'm female, 145lbs, avg fitness, beginner (maybe). I have 5 boards, ranging from 6'8 high volume short-board to 8'0 longboard - all PU. I'm looking for something slightly shorter to replace my long board, mostly for ease of transport actually. I like what I've been reading about sub moon on this thread. Looking for something that will still catch/cruise on flatter days, but still take out on bigger or steeper surf with good maneuverability. Bottom-line, a board I can take out when I don't always know what the conditions might bring, and still be able to play (progressive fun board). Maybe the 7'6 sub moon is it. I am curious about the tail shape, haven't ridden that style before. Also interested in the feel of the Firewire foam, it seems way light and floaty. You guys seem to have more experience so if anyone has some further recommendations, would love to hear it. Thanks!

Comment

There are submoons in 7 foot and 6' 8". I have 7 foot and am about 85+kgs and the board is a great grovel option but can perform, flicks around like a fish when you step back but move your back foot forward and it will straight line like a mal (to some degree). Website does not list smaller sizes but they are available and I would go for the smaller ones. I am loving my 7 footer loose when needed, easy to paddle and duck dive and catches waves easily. It can be fast set up as quad and I haven't ridden thruster set up yet as I use a 6'8" Unibrow for serious waves over 3 foot. I'd check your volume on the calculator then match submoon at 7 foot or shorter!!!! The 7'6" will be too thick.

Comment

jambo, thanks for the insights - will call firewire to find out dimensions/volume of the 7'0 & 6'8. I did originally see on the website that the 7'6 is very thick and wide for me, though couldn't tell exactly how much the nose and tail narrowed and thinned out after that, or the degree of kick. Overall the volume and main shape is what caught my eye as a board that would be super easy for me to catch weak waves, yet also take out in more optimum conditions and keep progressing. I'm not able to see the board in person before ordering so this information is helpful.

I also noticed you mentioned earlier that you weren't sure if you should have gotten the 7'6 for yourself, though it sounds like you've gotten used to the 7'0. I have other boards for more specific conditions, but hope that the sub moon can be more of my whenevah whatevah board.

Comment

Those dimensions are on page 1 of this thread in the forum. Photographs show 7'as 21.5 wide and 2 3/4 inches thick and volume around 42 litres. So going on usual form the 6'8" will be around 35 litres in volume - models seem to jump 5 to7 litres as they increase. The reference to a bigger submoon was a joking reference to my over eating when snowboarding in Japan during January along with the drinking of a lot of Sapporo and Kirin beer.
                    The tail of the board will give it life in better waves but it has the glide of a long board when you step forward - it is not as loose as a small fish but it has a fishy feel when you get your foot back on the tail.
                    I have ridden it from 1 to 5 foot and enjoyed it but as soon as it gets to 3 foot, I usually grab my unibrow or spitfire. But if the need arises the spitfire goes - as the submoon is more fun in small waves. Check your ability, weight etc on volume calculator and then decide from there. Thickness = paddle power = wave count = improved surfing ability. When you reach a fair degree of proficiency then thickness equals corky feel and decreases performance. Hence pros riding wafer thin boards that most of us cannot ride properly.

Comment

i too am looking at the submoon. i'm 6'2 210 and i have a pretty full quiver for long board logs, noseriders etc and also mid(7' to 7'6) and shorter boards but i have a 9'1 x 23 x3 older firewire v or fishtail with a quad or 2+1 setup that is no longer made. i also had a 9' 2+1 firewire with too much rocker that pushed water in all but the juiciest waves.
                      So my 9'1 quad is in need of replacing. it paddled really well even in so so waves over 3' and was perhaps the fastest board i have had in shoulder to overhead high decent surf, say Church or better, and still did well in juicy big tropical surf. Off the lips, roundhouse cutbacks off the foam and again on long points, top to bottom rippers that makes all the sections...just flat out flies.
                      so i want a ripper that still paddles in soso california points and will do even more in juicy tropical stuff...was hoping an 8'2 8'7 or 8'11 submoon would do...not sure now. pref. 8'2 or 8'7 as any more width and thickness seems excessive....i have had other hp poly boards that ripped too but they were all 2 5/8 and had lots of rocker so didn't really paddle well. i hope to figure this out, the light weight/swing weight of these boards at my size makes them very maneuverable in general even at the short end of the longboard sizes. any thoughts from someone my size +-

Comment

I think the submoon is really a hybrid of Malibu and fun board. Serious rocker in tail section gives the board several non - Malibu traits. I find the 7 footer fun in 3' or smaller but I ride short boards and this is my board for gutless or full waves. I cannot comment on the bigger versions as the fin set up changes and I don't/can't ride 8 foot plus boards. I am 5'9" and about 85kgs.

Comment

Working...
                        X