Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has timbertek now got 2 1/2 oz glass on deck and bottom?

I was told today that 2 1/2 oz fiberglass was being used on Timbertek boards. Is this info correct?

There's a layer of 2oz under the deck skin. I see no evidence on mine of external fibreglass except on the rails. However mine would have been built maybe 3-4 months ago so it could easily have changed again. A thin layer of glass wouldn't be a bad idea, a thick hot coat seems pointless to me. A lot of added weight with little strength increase I would have thought.

Comment

The boards made by Grant Newby that were the starting point of the technograin build used no glass or resin over the paulownia skins. If the skins are strong enough and it's just to keep the core dry then a hot coat would be the answer.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but with regard to the issues of people splitting decks and putting heels through them I don't imagine a hot coat having any huge effect on that.
        I doubt the past issues are down to the construction it's self though and more down to isolated incidents within the process.

I'd love to get hold of raw TT, pre hot coat, and go for the Grant Newby style oil finish. I bet it would feel so good. Super light!

I'm with you Phill on getting an original TT, enjoying the lightness, and just understanding that I need to care for it really well. I wonder what Firewire is doing with all the recalled boards. I'd love to get one at a discount.

Comment

hey just to be clear they aren't recalled at all, wrong word perhaps. most of the original build boards are still out there. in the grand scheme of things only a very small percentage had issues and the rest are out there ripping!!! Both of my boards are originals and still going strong. In fact they are even PRE original release with less glass. we changed the lam schedule ultimately as we learned more about how the materials behaved under the feet of a broad spectrum of surfers. This move was strictly to bring up the durability because we have high durability standards.

The original build board are great! Enjoy them! but just know, as always, if you have an issue, and it has to do with the way the board was manufactured, we'll back you up.

Comment

I have 3 TT boards. Spitfire newer, heavier. Unibrow (timber grain) which had an issue and was promptly replaced and submoon. No board was ever recalled. Support from Firewire is excellent and as I have said try getting that from other suppliers/retailers. I prefer a slightly heavier board anyway and of course being timber you have to respect the material. I see surfers mistreating equipment all the time so if you treat something like shit then it will pretty soon look like it. I would imagine boards sent back would be repaired and sold as seconds- so a bargain is out there because there is nothing wrong that a little resin could not fix!

Comment

Chris Thanks for the info. But I am still perplexed about whether external glass is being used beyond the rails or not. Could you please clarify? I want to buy one of so.

Comment

I believe that my latest TT Unibrow has what appears to be the almost invisible weave of fiberglass on the deck. You could notice it on the rails and feel it on the timber grain models. Still the new one is very light compared to PU and tuflite, My previous Unibrow (timber grain) was simply given hotcoat which lasted about 5 sessions, Firewire replaced the board (which is one of the best boards I have ridden) . I think the diagram of construction has changed. There has always been glass below timber and this light skin may be to prevent some problems. My board did not split or crack, it was appearance not performance. So the idea is good - timber tek boards look great and surf even better. My other TT Spitfire was more thickly coated/laminated and is fine after 3 months. If you are concerned about strength or other problems don't be as I can assure you that Firewire will respond to any construction/manufacturing problems. So snap it in a tube of death it is yours to glue! I had mine in recent powerful 6ft+ swell and it copped several poundings from clean up sets and kick outs that ended with it going over with the lip - still in one piece!

Comment

Just was wondering the same thing after looking at a few at the local surf shop yesterday. They definitely have a much thicker coat of resin on the deck if not glass as compared to my Spitfire from one of the original production runs that has been plagued by ding issues. I imagine they've been beefing up the construction because of durability issues.

Comment

hey Guys, Do you know if the extra build on the new TTs still leaves them lighter and slightly more responsive than an FST? - or are they the same kind of weight now?

Comment

I am still hoping to hear an answer to my original question from someone at Firewire!

Comment

I'm also pretty keen to hear about it too, cos I would love a TT Baked Potato, but I'm still worried about the durability of it. Some clear information from Firewire would really help to clarify, rather than just hearing from people who have felt up boards in a shop

Comment

The firewire website states the deck is now reinforced with cloth. I'm not sure the weight of the cloth but its there. Check out the picture http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/timbertek.php

Comment

Yes I noticed that and my new Unibrow confirms it - so far no splits or rubbing marks. Scoobysnacks my boards have this and are not showing wear at all - and Firewire will back you up if a problem with manufacturing. I know this as I received a replacement board! So what are you waiting for? The biggest problem is they look so good it takes more time to get in the water as everyone wants to look and feel it! Look beautiful and surf the same way......... you still reading this - get down the surf shop!!!!!!

Comment

I hear that it is 2oz

Comment

Working...
                            X