Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that is correct. That is all it needs to be to give hot coat resin strength and stop splits in the 3mm timber. Feet stomping all over it can easily split a veneer. (Board still has epoxy and glass between timber and foam.) It does this with minimum weight gain - still ridiculously light!

Comment

I can answer my own Question RE weight now... just picked up my new 600 spit in timber teck with FCs2. Its smooth all over, no rough patches. The weight is 110gms heavier than my mates FST in the same model and 70 gm lighter than my old 602 in FST - so not much difference in weight, maybe a touch heavier with the boards I have weighed. Its hard to make any calls only weighing a few boards as there is quite a large weight variance between individual boards. The board looks and feels as it will be just as strong as FST, and hopefully a touch stiffer, cant wait to ride it.

FCS2 system seems really good too, fins snap in and out easily and are really solid when in there.

Comment

I purchased a new 5'6 unibrow on 12-12-13 and have taken it out twice. It was smooth everywhere similar to my fst spitfire, it felt just like an FST. BUT today i noticed that 3-4 inches from the nose both sides of the rails no longer have any hot coat. I know there is supposed to be glass over the rails but somehow this area is no longer covered. I can take my finger nail and make indentations in the wood with minimal pressure. On the deck closest to the right rail it looks like i can see some weaving in the glass, perhaps they sanded it too much?

I'm in contact with firewire and will keep everyone update.

Comment

maybe they have kept the extra glass away form the nose just added to the main wearing part of the board?

I wonder if getting a board in and out of the bag over and over will wear out the coat on the nose too....

Comment

It doesn't matter when board was bought but when built, my latest unibrow and submoon both show the weave of glass cloth when in sunlight. The cloth gives resin strength as resin hardens to give cloth rigidity. I would suggest that if the hot coat is wearing off from the abrasion of board bag then you have a board with resin coat only. Originally Timber Grains were 2oz cloth/resin wrap on blank, timber and then sealed with hot coat. (This can easily reapplied after a light sand.) These boards felt rough. Later boards seem (to my old eyes) to have been laminated after the timber is adhered to blank, cloth and resin. So there is coth and resin below and over timber - avoids deck splits/cracks plus looks better. Hence they will weigh slightly more - my original timber grain unibrow was a lot lighter than my current unibrow so the weight is from something extra. It appears that the Timber tech diagram shows extra cloth layers on the website.
            I do not want to get into the argument over polished boards versus wet rubbed finish!
            Most silver travel or day bags are abrasive enough to remove paint on surftech surfboards so would eventually have an effect on TT Firewires.
            If worried simply sand it back and lay up a deck and rails with cloth and glass.

Comment

I have discovered that it is a very delicate board. I think I have one of the original TT Baked Potato. I bought it in October and surfed it six times. I have two small dings. If this was a normal foam board, it wouldn't have the dings. I got the first ding when the board slid not more than three or four inches into the side of a shelf, while I was trying to stand it up. I didn't think it hit the shelf hard. The next ding just happened when I was moving it. The tail bumped the wall. Again, not very hard.

Overall it's a beautiful board, but I don't think it's durable enough to use. I think I'm just going to hang it on the wall in my office. ;-(

Comment

When hot coat "wore" off my Unibrow (timber grain) I returned it to Firewire on the Gold Coast and was promptly sent a new board. I was told in email that board would be laminated or replaced - this happened.
                Newer boards are laminated not just painted with hot coat and are very durable a friend has a Unibrow in FST so in 6 months we will see a results- FST versus Timber Tech.
                Yes it appears that there were problems with some TT boards - my problem was cosmetic not structural. The newer boards are slightly heavier but on a choppy or windy day that helps!
                So far I have owned 5 TTboards - one was too small and sold, one was replaced, the other 3 are ridden regularly, thrown in and out of cars, lent to mates - no dings.

Comment

I had a TT - I presume it was an early one, it was the first I saw in real life, it was very light and the finish rubbed off from the board bag leaving pale patches. I wasn't so worried about that but it developed a split along the grain of the timber on the bottom and FW are replacing it. I love the board and the timber and want to get a TT replacement but am a bit nervous, do you guys reckon the newer TT construction has reduced the wear and splitting issues? Should I stick with TT or back to FST?

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    New ones are solid. They feel more like an fst board. I loved the feel of the early ones. Too bad the hot coat wasn't durable enough for the general public.

There is glass on the top and bottom for reinforcement. I believe its a 4oz lamination but not completely sure off hand.

- FIJ

Comment

I just finished giving mine a slapping at a hungry little point that eats boards - not a problem. After too many years on stiff epoxy boards I am really enjoying the way the TT boards project out of a turn. Submoon well over 6 months old - not a mark, same as Unibrow which is even older and used more. Sure there were cosmetic problems with early timber grain models but now they have got it right. A friend's rapid fire has several dents in deck at same age and usage as my boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X