X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to care for my TimberTek

I'm noticing that there are some spots on my board that appear to be scuffed/scratched down to bare wood. If that happens, what should I do? Should I just lay a thin swipe of Solarez, or do I need to apply some fiberglass and resin, or ...? Thanks.

Just brush a little resin or spray a little lacquer or something. Anything that seals the wood will be fun. From what I understand paulownia is very resistant to salt water and is very unlikely to soak up water in those scuffed areas. I'm just leaving mine as it is to see how it goes. I haven't had any darkening in those areas but I have barely used mine so far.

Comment

The same thing happened to my Timber grain - around tail where the rail saver rubbed and on nose and rail from wetsuit. I contacted Firewire and was asked to send it to Gold Coast. They replaced it with a board with thicker coat and it looks like weave of glass on the deck. The original timber grain only had glass on rails. The new board is still very light.
      I was prepared to have board recoated with bio-resin to seal timber but paulownia is used in kayak making and is water resistant so you could leave it, oil it, or seal it with epoxy resin. Firewire were prepared to replace/relaminate it so I sent it back and a new one turned up! Try getting that from another board maker.
      The boards are very light and if given a extra lamination with lightest cloth would still be lighter than PU. I have 3 TT boards so I have faith in the technology and I don't work for or sell Firewire.

Comment

I really like the board and the tech. Just to clarify, I'm not complaining about anything. I just want some insights on how to care for the wood over time. I was scraping some wax off of the board with a plastic comb and the corner of the comb dug into the wood. I put a little bit of epoxy solarez on it. There are also some long scuffs on the rails that I plan to keep my eye on. Does anybody know what kind of oil I could use on the wood?

Comment

Entropy Bio Sap Resin http://www.entropyresins.com/home - it should be available in most places - it is in Australia and USA. It is an epoxy and can be tricky to use so read instructions or follow a you tube tutorial. I gouged mine removing wax with a comb (should have used solar power or warm water). For a gouge or dent I use EXTERIOR wood putty for a colour match then bio resin with a little glass if strength needed or just resin to seal. Organic timber oils can sometimes get a mould or fungus that blacken the timber so be careful there. You can't get oil out except with some really harsh chemicals and I don't know what they would do to resin.
          For those scuffs you get on rail edge I would use a little resin to paint on a hot coat after a light sand then some wet and dry or cutting cream to polish and feather in the edges - just like patching paint.
          Last edited by jambo; 11-09-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Great info. I'll avoid the oils and look in to the bio resin stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X