X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technograin Baked Potato After 8 Months

Hi fellow-firewire subscribers, I've been constantly reading the forums on the TT Technology (formally Technograin Technology) & I'm really surprised at all the problems that some guys have been experiencing with their TT (or TG) boards.
    I purchased my 5'1" Baked Potato Techograin board back in March 2013, I have given the board a decent thrashing in most types of conditions & it has survived & never faltered once whenever it has been used.
    I originally placed versa traction deck grip on the board as I wanted the wood grain to still be seen (as it is clear) & have a little protection as well on the deck of the board.
    Only just a week or two ago, I started noticing the corners of the versa traction grip just beginning to peel up & the fact that I still had to put wax on the versa traction deck grip, kind of made me feel that it wasn't the best solution for grip on a board.
    So I decided to take it all off & look into placing a conventional tail pad on with wax for the front foot.
    What I found once I took the versa traction off, was that the deck was in perfect condition.
    No impressions from foot or knee, the deck looks brand new.
    However, I have found that the TT tech is not as strong as FST. I have discovered, small but relatively insignificant indentations from small stones/pebbles when the board was on the ground & small finger nail marks from when my finger had placed a bit of pressure on the deck but in no way affecting the performance of the board.
    I have put some pics up from when I first placed the versa traction deck grip on the board & then taken the grip off after 8 months.
    Tail to Nose after 8 months Front Foot after 8 months Deck after 8 months

The technology works! It shows that the little strength given by the deck grip is the solution to most of problems. Perhaps a laminate coat instead of versa traction would have the same effect and also get rid of small indents and fingernail marks and this seems to be what has happened. I had a TT baked potato that suffered a split deck and a techno grain that the hot coat simply rubbed off. So one construction failure and a cosmetic problem - both resolved quickly by Firewire. So now I have 3 boards in Timber Tech and none showing any problems. My replacement boards look to have the lamination, that was previously only on the rails, wrapped around the board. It is probably 2oz cloth to maintain lightness and flex but gives that little extra strength. I am very pleased with the boards and the way Firewire dealt with problems.

Comment

Yeah @jambo, the versa traction has done a great job keeping the deck intact but let's hope now that it's been peeled off that the deck isn't compromised too much. I'm going to put a regular tail pad on it now & just wax for the front foot so fingers crossed that it doesn't 'wreck the deck' too much @goanna.

Comment

• Goanna
        Goanna commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks brand new Megsy

Originally posted by jambo View Post
      The technology works! It shows that the little strength given by the deck grip is the solution to most of problems. Perhaps a laminate coat instead of versa traction would have the same effect and also get rid of small indents and fingernail marks and this seems to be what has happened. I had a TT baked potato that suffered a split deck and a techno grain that the hot coat simply rubbed off. So one construction failure and a cosmetic problem - both resolved quickly by Firewire. So now I have 3 boards in Timber Tech and none showing any problems. My replacement boards look to have the lamination, that was previously only on the rails, wrapped around the board. It is probably 2oz cloth to maintain lightness and flex but gives that little extra strength. I am very pleased with the boards and the way Firewire dealt with problems.
      Are Firewire now doing TT boards with laminate on the decks and bottom as well as the rails??? I ask because my hot coat scratches off with my fingernail. I can't see any water penetrating the blank but it worries me that you can scratch off the host coat with the slightest of pressure from a fingernail.

Comment

I can't answer for Firewire but my original Techno Grain Unibrow developed problems after a couple of sessions. The hot coat wore away where the legs of steamer rubbed on the board, where rail saver rubbed on board and where I rested my arm when lazy paddling. So I contacted Raz at Currumbin and sent the board back for inspection and re-lamination or replacement. A new board arrived at the local shop for me and had several differences. The finish was a lot smoother more like FST - no rough grain, the rail laminate that was visible and could be felt on the TG board was not on newer version. The board also appears to have glass weave visible on the deck but it is hard to see with the grain pattern and I could be wrong. However, the "hot coat" on the new board does not seem to be rubbing off so I assume that it is either thicker and will wear off eventually or it is a laminate so stronger.
        Your board won't take on water as epoxy and 2 oz glass seal blank and hold timber in place, paulownia is water resistant so hot coat is a cosmetic finish and sealant. (We could now get into the argument about wet rubbed boards being faster than glossed boards - I always preferred a wet rubbed, rougher finish. So I liked the original TG finish and friends remarked on the speed of the board.)
        My original board did not discolour or have water penetration - problem was cosmetic and the board shop owner didn't want $900 boards looking like that in a small town when he is trying to sell them - so back it went!!!. I have a spitfire, unibrow and submoon all in timber and would not change them. They are timber and will need to be maintained so if I have to reseal the grain so be it. I purchased some bio-resin online and am ready to go if it is needed - more likely some clown will drop in and kook it so I'll be fixing a ding!

Comment

Working...
        X