X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack repair in Deck

I was just wondering the best way to repair a crack in the deck (2-3cms) of a Timbertek Baked potato (see photos). I came down on the board in the surf.

I have dried the board out and tried to seal it up with some epoxy solar resin but it didn't work as the crack is too large the the epoxy seeps in.

I love the board and i'm keen as to get it back in the water.

Cheers in advance.
    Crack with $1 coin Aus

I'd fill the crack with some wood filler then patch over with a piece of fibreglass.

Comment

Thanks for the posts. Do you mean just some wood filler from a hardware store like an epoxy wood filler? Do you have any recommendations of product or anyone should be good?

I have to admit that I haven't repaired a ding with fibreglass before. The process sounds simple enough but I really don't want to mess it up. Should I be taking into a ding repair shop?

What size piece of glass would you cover it with i.e. distance around the crack?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        2 layers of 2oz E glass would be good. One a inch wider than the damage and another an inch or so wider than the first all round. The 2oz should blend in easy without too much sanding.
        Any epoxy wood filler should be ok, try and match the deck colour.

Also is there any specific type of fibreglass? Cheers

Comment

this might also help but great advice there from phill http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/pd...air_Manual.pdf

Comment

Thanks heaps for the advice and manual guys. I will give it a crack this weekend. Will do a practice run on a piece of wood. Wicked!

Comment

Working...
          X