Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does timbertek produce glass shatters now ?

Hi guys! Long time lurker and have ordered a TT spitfire looking for some durability after being sick of sneezing on PU boards and causing them to ding :) haha. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the new timbertek produce those annoying glass shatters now that it has glass instead of pure resin over it. I hope it doesn't as that was one of the reasons I decided to try a FireWire !

I have 3 timber tech firewires and not a shatter or dent in the decks yet. I had a early Timber grain Unibrow that the hot coat was wearing off and was replaced. New one perfect, Submoon perfect but spitfire seems to be getting a few rubbing marks that were a problem with the timber grain models - so what it was a cosmetic second and cheap so still cheap even if I have to sand it and give it another hot coat. No frosty marks or dents on the rails from legrope slapping them after over 7 months so I do not think this problem will happen. It was always happening to my surftech boards. I haven't ridden PU boards for 10 years and only bought epoxies. Quality and longevity varied - Surftech boards outlive the owner, although I managed to snap one in their early days, the others were not a lot better than PU. They dented ad shattered a lot less but it still happened. So far none with TT - however impact ding into foam requires serious drain time or a pump to remove water before fixing. I fixed a mate's board with: 4 days draining - filled with epoxy timber putty (exterior grade and colour matched) then cloth and resin. Looks fine but the glass seemed less shattered around ding than other boards. If that was due to epoxy resin, light weight cloth or timber giving strength I do not know! But I reckon timber must strengthen the glass/resin.
    Do not scrap wax off deck - too easy to gouge so use warm water on sun to melt wax then citrus based wax solvent. Leaving it in a car will kill it on a hot day and some people reported mould growing on early models if they put the board in travel bags when wet.
    TT boards look beautiful - surf the same way, are stronger than PU and most other epoxy boards (in my opinion) and pollute less. I do not work for or sell Firewire products.
    Last edited by jambo; 05-27-2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Jambo! I like how you touched on durability which would have been my next question!

I am swaying to make the jump to Epoxy because i've found every other week i'm out of the surf repairing my PU board. The only minor negative I have is that I have less experience repairing epoxy boards haha.

Were you generally very good to your surfboards when you were still on PU?

I think part of my concern comes from the fact that I am exhibiting my boards to different factors than most of you guys out there would be - punchy beach breaks, other surfers colliding, and boards pearling. (Although i don't know how these compare to smacking a fat lip) All general experiences that come from surfing in the shallows. That all being said after wiping the wax off my Channel Islands board i've found most of the cracks come from the rails and have a rather pristine deck once the initial soft deck compressions have been made.

Comment

I surf in northern NSW so crowds are around but not like Gold Coast. There are some kooks that have to be avoided. However, I have never had a lot of dings (we still enforce 1 surfer 1 wave and no dropping in but it is hard to teach this to visiting Euro surfers, Brazil nuts and Queensland greedy pigs) I have never a lot of suffered damage from others. My PU boards were lasting 6 to 9 months before deck collapse. Foam supporting glass deforms the glass collapses, cracks and leaks water causing further collapse. So my Firewire boards have now outlasted PU boards. Surftech boards have a wrap of a high density foam - really tough stuff but boards feel stiff and do not project out of turns like my Unibrow. My surftechs had small dents under back foot maybe 1cm and similar dents on rail from legrope. My TT boards have none of this denting. I am yet to have a collision ding or dent. Although Unibrow seems to have a very small dent - no cracks. Who knows seaweed or piece of drift wood........ General impression is they are tougher than bamboo decked firewires and probably tougher than FST as they have glass/timber/glass top and bottom whereas FST has glass/ plastic sheet top and glass bottom. I think if foam distorts or shrinks then timber on deck could split but there is 4oz cloth layer below timber layer. However, with cloth/timber/cloth on new boards then this should not happen unless delamination caused by overheating. Firewires in RF and FST yellow with age - my TT boards are showing grain pattern like aging timber and probably look better as they age. Problem is walking down to surf is slowed by people checking out board. This is less common as more people get one. Taylor Jensen now has his models in TT and a few others are getting on to TT.
        Remember that Firewire does not use a closed cell foam like surftech so a ding means straight out and fix it after drying. So you still might spend every other week out. Firewire say closed cell foam does not bond with epoxy so do not use it. So avoid the kooks and snapping it on an 8 foot day is expensive but no board is 100% damage free and rocks love it when your legrope breaks.
        Last edited by jambo; 05-27-2014, 04:22 AM.

Comment

I'll do my best to stay away from the kooks ! It just occurred to me that FST has glass on the top of it too and I haven't heard of them producing too many glass shatters. I have heard the hardness of the glass is really determined by what is underneath it so as long as the paulownia is similar hardness to the FST skin and not PU foam it sounds like it'll be all good !

Comment

The plastic skin is super strong so impact resistant but FST has only epoxy and glass ( AND SKIN) on the bottom. Balsa parabolic rail on FST is thick but I believe the stick of paulownia on TT rails would be a lot stronger. No board is ding proof or break proof! If the technology has a weakness then it is the draining time after a break of waterproof skin. So maybe invest in a small electrical pump seal off ding like vacuum bagging, suck out water then fill. Coat with exterior epoxy wood putty (colour matched) then seal with cloth and epoxy resin. I have done this on a friend's TT and looks close to new. If you inspect TT closely you can see putty usage from the factory. That is why I tried the method.
            If the foam below paulownia skin deforms and support goes then the 3mm skin will crack and this will probably crack glass so regularly check for dents or soft spots on the deck. The timber has 4oz cloth and resin below and what appears to be cloth and resin outside the timber - you can see weave in bright light. Earlier boards only had cloth on rails and were hot coated. I know as I had one that was sent back and replaced free as hot coat wore off. It is my understanding that paulownia only needs an oil coat to be waterproof. Now the TT boards are slicker to touch and probably stronger. After 8 months I have had no problems with any of my 3 TT boards and I give them a hiding. I stand by my claim that they are tougher than PU and at least equal to Surftech in strength. BUT they look and surf better! ENJOY YOUR SPITFIRE and may the sets always come your way in the line up!
            Last edited by jambo; 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM. Reason: CORRECTION re FST CONSTRUCTION

Comment

Jambo, FST has a skin on the top and bottom just like TT.

Comment

Well, well, well - then they are probably similar in strength. I stand corrected. Maybe board I was thinking of was white rapidfire.

Comment

Working...
                X