Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, if you were me and you could only have one board and you only surfed 2-5ft beach breaks and you had to choose from the below what would it be? Dominator 6ft, Spitfire 6ft, Unibrow 6'2, Potatonator 5'10 which would it be, keep in mind i'm a 85kg Intermediate 34 year old surfer!

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      One board has to be the Uni I reckon. It's the only one that won't leave you feeling short changed when the waves are pumping, but it'll still cover the lower range well.

• Peach1
      Peach1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Phill,

I've just been doing some reading on here about the EL FUEGO and looks like it could be a good one board quiver for what i'm after maybe a 6'1? Do you know if they still stock them anymore?

great feedback everyone. i love the board as well, 175 lbs and I go for the 510 and rip it in smaller surf. could also ride the 509.

Comment

good stuff everyone.

i too love that board. I am 175lbs and like the 510 so it works on smaller days. can also go with the 509 in better conditions...

Comment

2-5 foot beach breaks from that list? UB for sure.

Comment

• C0111N5
          C0111N5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent, this is what I wanted to hear, exactly why I think I will get a Unibrow.

Cheers buzzy, your think i'm on the right track with the 6'2 then?

Comment

Ordered my Unibrow today but have to wait until late August to get it, going to be a long, tough wait...

I'll add my size guide once I get it and have a few rides.

Comment

@C0111N5, great thread man!! As for me, I don't have a Unibrow yet but I always copy the board size that Chris uses :)

Board size: 5'10 (as soon as I sell my spitfire)
            Height: 5'8
            Weight: 170 to 175 lbs
            Ability: intermediate
            Happy with the size?: yes!
            Fin Setup: EA Quad with TMF-1 knub or Jordy L front, LOST Controller rear w/ knub (modified Deviant fin)
            Comments: None at the moment but will have some as soon as I get it!

ALOHA!!
            Last edited by hawaii_boi; 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I have a 6'3" El Fuego. Wanting some more performance when it gets bigger, but love how it performs in smaller surf. I am thinking the Unibrow would be a good compliment.
              I am 6'1" @ 200lbs, 41yrs old and a decent surfer.

Should I go for the 6'2" or 6'4" Uni? What am i giving up/ gaining by choosing either option?

Comment

If it's going to be only for bigger stuff the go as small as you feel comfortable with, will perform better.

Comment

Originally posted by sglacks View Post
                  I have a 6'3" El Fuego. Wanting some more performance when it gets bigger, but love how it performs in smaller surf. I am thinking the Unibrow would be a good compliment. I am 6'1" @ 200lbs, 41yrs old and a decent surfer. Should I go for the 6'2" or 6'4" Uni? What am i giving up/ gaining by choosing either option?
                  I'm 47 and 200lbs and surf the 6'4". I "could" go the 6'2" but it'd be a lot more work. The 6'2" might work as a more purely good wave board, but giving up a fair bit of grovel. For my tastes the UB is the best all round board in the FireWire range.

Comment

Hello everyone, When deciding on size, where were you on the volume calculator? Towards the "Minimum" value? Trying to decide between 6'8" vs 6'10" (6'5" 228lbs intermediate surfer). Thanks!

Comment

I don't pay an awful lot of attention to it to be honest. I personally think the new calculator is less useful than the old simple chart based on beginner, intermediate and advanced with + or - for fitness skill and age. I think the calculator over adjusts for age. What I can say is I find my optimum volume to be between 35 and 42 litres with me 200lbs and 47 with reasonable fitness but not exceptional. So if you're 28 lbs heavier, which I think is around 12kg, I'd put you on a board 2-3 lengths up from mine. So that would be 6'8" to 6'10". If you are young and/or exceptionally fit maybe you could go a 6'6" but for most people that would be too small. So I'd suggest 6'8" if you're reasonably competent and surfing 2 or more days a week. If the surfing is more infrequent the 6'10" might be the go.

Comment

@MMTommy, i used the Volume calculator then I was able to demo some boards. I narrowed the volume that I need below:

Me: 5'8, 170-175lbs

High Perf: 28L to 30L
                        Day to day: 30L to 32L
                        Groveling: 32L to 34L

starting point is 31L.

ALOHA!!

Comment

I think you can ride the Unibrow a little longer even in small waves. Mine is 6'6" and I'm fairly long in the tooth and 90kgs + or - a few beers and mine works in 1 to 6 foot. I've just seen a 7' Unibrow and although 3" thick it still has fine rails and a thin tail due to domed deck. They are a beautifully designed board in timber or FST and don't seem to have the wide arse of many hybrids (although measurements say they do). I surf most days and it is a very competitive spot so over 45 foam is your friend and equaliser. Remember if you can't catch them it is pointless how loose the board is. And the unibrow loves to turn short and sharp!!!

Comment

Alright I'm looking at getting one of these unibrows but can't decide on what size to get. I'm 87-90kgs fit an young and thinking the 5'11 or 6'0 I was riding a 6'0 Dom the other week in some powerful 4ft waves and felt way to big. I reckon the 6" UB would do the trick but the more I keep reading threads about sizing the more harder it is to make my bloody mind up :p

Comment

Working...
                            X